Home

Making K3

Sithspecter

This is not just another 'are they gonna make K3?!' post. I've been thinking on this a while, and I wondered what would happen if the whole community got together and made a sort of 'KotOR 3.' What could be done is completly change the GUI and reskin modules, make new ones, completely new weapon models, etc. I know it's like a totally crazy idea, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. We could use K1 or K2 as a base game, and just totally redo it. Whatever you think about my crazy ideas, please leave feedback, positive and negative.

:drop2:

Mod Edit: Combined duplicate threads, please only create on thread per topic, thanks. -RH

This mod will either make you our "savior" or you will be reviled by all...in any case I'll play the beta :D

Seriously now, this would be...immense at an unprecedented level at BEST.

It requires a slew of new modules, script editing from the GROUND UP, and many more things such as new items, plot lines,planets(which are a botch in themselves), and voice actors.Basically impossible unless done at a corporate level.

In conclusion, just wait it out man. KOTOR 3 will be here sooner or later.

Gosh! Killing me with the sarcasm.

If I did this I'd need a LOT of HELP! It would be kind of cool being the modding community's 'savior' though. You know what, I'm going to try to publicize this just for the heck of it. Just think, we've got a whole community of modders out there... we could split the work, make it go a lot faster. I think it would be aweswome if it could be pulled off...but if more people don't REPLY and HELP, it will just crash and burn. I think this could be a totally new direction for the modding community.

Edit: I'm sorry that I put the word 'I' anywhere in the above message. This is a complete 'we' thing.

Dont know what the community would think about that totally, but if they dont make the k3 soon it will probably need to be up to the community to do it. From what i have experienced in the forums and see what most of us can do i dont think it will be a problem for us to do. some basic principle's or guidelines if you will would have to be set. Scripting seems to be alot of the problems that i have seen doesnt look like to many experience scripters in the forums, there are a few forums that still havent been answered yet when it comes to scripting. but i know alot of them are busy with there own stuff. so if there all willing to come together on this then all that much better.

Thanks. I'm glad to know that not everyone thinks I'm crazy. OK. my idea of a story line is that you are Revan, and you have just left Carth and Bastila to go to where ever it is that Revan is going. The KotOR 2 story line left alot open for different story lines. Anyway, probably you could have like, most of the party members from K1, and maybe the exile. I would really enjoy this, but I need LOTS of support and help for this to take off.

If they don't make Kotor3 ill be extreamly ****** and since so many people want kotor 3 if they did make it they'd make even more money

If they dont make it, i think there going to really tee off alot of people; but im not counting them out yet; at least not untill i get official word that its no longer in there plans to continue the project. And if that will be the case im sure we can get enough grouping through the community to fix that one.

From what i have seen from research, neither LucasArts or Biowar or Obsidian intend to make a KOTR III, and indeed have specifically said as much, at least that they were not doing it now or have plans for it. I would love to see it happen, but with the speed that game companies currently are releasing projects and then moving on from the witout support or real follow up, I fear that it may be a long shot. The announcement of a joint LA and Biowar project will be in some other universe I fear, but I certanly would LOVE to see a KOTR III and think it would have good sales and very strong support, as KOTR I espeically is widely known as one of the mastpieces of Game Development to date.

Whatever you think about my crazy ideas, please leave feedback, positive and negative.

:drop2:

I think that it's a great idea. With the ability to create new areas, and the wealth of experience at Lucas Forums, I would expect that someone will take a shot at it in the next year or so. The folks here could certainly come with a superior story line. The best part: We don't have to go out and buy new computers or fool with Vista.

Not a bad idea, though it's been suggested before, countless times, and IMHO, it would be a waste of time, the overall completion of the project would take a very very long time, and plenty of the modders involved would move on due to the extremely heavy workload, plus it's very likely that the final product (if by slim chance that you finish and release the project), that the quality of the mod will not meet the standards of K1 and TSL.

The only team that has ever come close to completion of a large scale mod is TSLRP, but Dashus, JdNoa, Aurora ect, are truly dedicated to completion. (Notice I said 'has ever', well can't exactly say it's already released, but still...)

Besides, speculation (with an suggestible amount of evidence) suggests that Bioware and Lucas Arts are creating a KotOR MMORPG. So I wouldn't give up on K3 yet, I personally predict that after the completion of the MMO, the will then go on to complete K3 (which will most likely be Obsidian anyway, due to Bioware handing over the franchise to them for K2) ;)

~Master Zionosis

Sorry to kill the enthousiasm, but there are several things...

a) To create new modules is ALOT of work. The Mods that add new areas can be counted on one hand, and the authors put INCREDIBLE time in those already. To create a whole new game is just... :)

b) There was a total conversion mod once, let by...GCCC I believe? He got around reskinning many planets (Dantooine-> Hoth) and had a story. But still, the project died.

c) De game is 3 years old now. Interest is...slowly dying. The engine of the game is just plane ugly compared to new RPG's (Although I love the two).

Sorry to say, but the interest for creating a whole new game based on K2 is just not interesting anymore. it's waiting for the Kotor 2 Restoration Project...after that.... :(

A lot of people have either moved on, or are busy with their own projects, or are frankly very inexperienced.

The likelihood of this happening here and now is slim, I'm afraid.

I agree with Insidious on this one, as i have said before its not because people wouldnt want to do it, its the inexperience that they have with modding, and really consumed by there own projects that will give them there experience later on.

I agree with Insidious. These kind of projects are, IMO, too ambitious for these games. This are ideas that come and go, ideas that are buried within the depths of the Holowan community. GCCC's Total Conversion is one example, but don't forget Team Bantha, which failed on creating one planet, and many other teams that would create their own planet for one of the two games.

If you really want to create an ambitious project, reduce it to creating a planet. A fairly big team will have its hands full with it. Even should you get people enough to work on the project you describe (which I highly doubt), the question isn't if the team will stay together and will stay motivated, the question is how long the team will stay together and when the team's motivation runs out.

As soon as I saw this thread, I expected that the enthusiasm would die fast in the face of realism. Not to be a pessimist....

I think the major problems arrayed against a player-made game has already been made and apparently absorbed, so I won't take up space repeating them. Its worth saying though that even if it was ever attempted, and by some miracle it got far, I don't really think it could ever reach the professionalism and story strength of the first game. It would be clunky and an obvious dress-up of one of the previous games. I'll stop my comments there.

Archived