Home

What's up with Cortosis Weave?

One thing that I really don't understand is why a quarterstaff is resistant to a lightsaber! I guess that that is really just something that would normally be overlooked...to me it just doesn't make sense. But then again, this is probably due to the combat system...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing that I really don't understand is why a quarterstaff is resistant to a lightsaber! I guess that that is really just something that would normally be overlooked...to me it just doesn't make sense. But then again, this is probably due to the combat system...

Don't forget longswords, shortswords, double-bladed non-vibro swords, fighting sticks pikes... :xp:

Anyways, it's most likely because of the combat system. It would just be too damn easy if generic thugs would flee/use their fists because you cut their precious metal blades, and since Cortosis is supposed to be rare, it would be almost impossible to buy Vibro-weapons on Taris (or anywhere else, for that matter) because of the inflated cost, and that only the richest crimelords could supply it, albeit sparingly, not to mention that Vibro-weapons are supposed to vibrate at supersonic speeds, making a simple slash complete mutilation and incapacitance (most likely results in eventual death) to any being. I'm probably exagerrating here, but you get my point. ;)

Basically, if it's fun to play despite the complications, forget logic! :D

The swords all supposedly have lightsaber-resistant metal. But a quarterstaff is just a stick. Unless it's made out of magical wish-granting planks, then it should be sliced in half in an instant.

Oh, and one semi-acceptable explanation for cortosis: during the KOTOR era, it wasn't rare...yet. ;)

Good point, although I'm guessing that even a petty quarterstaff is made from some strong, flexible material (think plasteel or wood, only much more sturdy and durable) that's able to resist lightsaber hits for some time, and that the metals themselves, especially those of swords, are naturally resistant to lightsaber blows, except that some metals are more resistant than others (think Mandalorian Iron, except that it's not Mandalorian and is slightly less effective), which means that it would take more effort to cut through these materials, and by that time, you may have already killed the thug wielding the weapon, seeing as how fights in KOTOR are relatively short, so maybe that's why (aside from the combat system) they don't break in the games.

I think the quarterstaffs were coated, treated, or something, to make them resistant to lightsabers, and even other weapons. Possibly even treated and coated. It's possible that there is a wood that was slightly resistant, to begin with, sort of like ironwood.

*Edit* Also, quarterstaffs weren't necessarily wood, but could be metal and alloyed.

I think the quarterstaffs were coated, treated, or something, to make them resistant to lightsabers, and even other weapons. Possibly even treated and coated. It's possible that there is a wood that was slightly resistant, to begin with, sort of like ironwood.

*Edit* Also, quarterstaffs weren't necessarily wood, but could be metal and alloyed.

The ingame description of the quarterstaff:

Usually just a smooth staff of wood or light alloys, this is a very simple weapon of ancient design.

So, even if it isn't wood, I doubt that "light alloys" would be lightsaber-resistant.

Oh, and one semi-acceptable explanation for cortosis: during the KOTOR era, it wasn't rare...yet. ;)
The best explanation is that cortosis was one of those things lost to time somewhere along the line. Sounds kinda silly, but it's really the only explanation that fits. Perhaps it was overmined (since everything seems to use it in KotOR era) and then after 1000-2000 years history just forgot about it.

Remember (IIRC) that cortosis wasn't even conceived until the Spectre of the Past/Vision of the Future duology, and they seemed quite shocked at cortosis's lightsaber-inhibiting properties, so it's safe to assume that they were unaware of its existence as a mineral. It's more convenient not to explain how it was so prevalent 4000 years ago and suddenly disappears... part of me thinks they like to keep us guessing. ;)

As for armor, I do believe the Jensaarai used cortosis weave in their battle armor. :)

Yeah. There could have been hidden cortosis mines on planets like Taris, and Malichor V in the Knights era that while unknown to the general public, substantially helped the galactic economy and put the real people on a roughly even footing with some jedi in the old republic. Those were big planets which I'm sure that there were areas we never explored on foot.

The ingame description of the quarterstaff:

So, even if it isn't wood, I doubt that "light alloys" would be lightsaber-resistant.

I think cortosis, or other material, could be put together, and form a lightsaber resistant alloy, which could be used to fashion, weapons, etc. I am willing to bet that the material could be made light enough to make a light alloy. I imagine some of the material like a hard, possibly brittle, material, when refined, and mixed with other metals, actually making it light, but extremely tough.

OR it might have been the lightsabers were weaker, like they couldn't penetratemost alloys, and the techniques used in making a lightsaber became more effective.

OR it might have been the lightsabers were weaker, like they couldn't penetratemost alloys, and the techniques used in making a lightsaber became more effective.

in the words of EPIII Vader: [echo]Nooooooooooooooo![/echo] [j/k]

It's a plasma blade, that can cut through anything... well it could, but the technology has been almost unchanged since the invention of cordless power cells, sometime after 7,000 BBY.

Even as early as 15,500 BBY the Jedi had already produced a focused beam of energy that arced circumferentially back to its source.

Edit: These materials weapons and beings are also resistant to Lightsaber's...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cortosis of course...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightfoil

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phrik

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Armorweave

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_sword we know...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_iron

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vonduun_crab_armor

@ post #26-#27 http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Weapon ;)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Orbalisks

[alarm] Warning! Warning! Star Wars nerd alert! [/alarm]

Hehe don't worry, I knew most of that myself. :p

If you think of what a lightsaber is it wouldn't make sense for there to be weak lightsaber blade and strong lightsaber blades. If I remember correctly even the upgrade crystals in KotOR don't claim they're making the blade itself more powerful (at least in the descriptions).

Other than a convenient excuse for some hot sword-on-lightsaber action, nothing.
Cortosis was created circa 1997 and in the book it appeared in was not used for that purpose, so... ;)

If you think of what a lightsaber is it wouldn't make sense for there to be weak lightsaber blade and strong lightsaber blades. If I remember correctly even the upgrade crystals in KotOR don't claim they're making the blade itself more powerful (at least in the descriptions).

Kreia's description of the crystals implies that they do, though:

Force Sensitive locations such as this absorb and reflect Force energy. The crystals are the catalyst here.

[...]

Picture yourself as a sieve, and the Force as water pouring into you. This crystal draws from the excess water that escapes the sieve.

So the crystals collect Force energy, and presumably that's how they help create the lightsaber blade. So it's possible that different crystals could make a stronger blade. And remember that training lightsabers are much weaker, probably because they use weaker crystals.

Yes, it makes no sense, because a blade made out of plasma will burn through just about anything. But at least the explanation is poetical. :p

Cortosis was created circa 1997 and in the book it appeared in was not used for that purpose, so... ;)

Actually, it might have been KOTOR that first used cortosis for this purpose. Not sure about that, though.

Actually, it might have been KOTOR that first used cortosis for this purpose. Not sure about that, though.
I believe it was the book I, Jedi in 1998. Not certain exactly how it was covered but I remember the Jensaarai having cortosis in their battle armor.

Archived