Home

LucasArts parts ways with the ESA

Char Ell

GamePolitics noticed back on May 8 that LucasArts' name had disappeared from the Entertainment Software Association's website listing of members. Yesterday LucasArts decided to let everyone know that this wasn't some administrative error made by the ESA's website admin.

"'We can confirm that LucasArts is no longer a member of the ESA,' said LucasArts public relations director Margaret Grohne. 'As a company we are still committed to bringing consumers the best interactive experience possible and support the ESA's mission in the industry. LucasArts will be participating in E3.'"

Sources:

GamesIndustry.biz

GameSpot

Joystiq

This news comes on the heels of Activision/Blizzard's recent decision to leave the ESA as well. Looks like the ESA natives are restless. We'll have to wait and see how this year's E3 turns out but E3 2006 may have been the last hurrah for the glory days of gaming conventions. :(

I guess the other thing I forgot to mention is that this must be the first big decision by LucasArts' new president, Darrell Rodriguez. I haven't read nor seen anything from him since he took over leadership of LucasArts back in mid-April but I have to think he was the one who either signed off on this decision or made it himself. Jim Ward was the chairman of the ESA's board and now that he is gone LucasArts' interest in remaining an ESA member went with Mr. Ward as well.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is an organization of video game publishers and developers. The ESA sponsors the Electronic Entertainment Expo , a.k.a. E3, each year and only members of the ESA are allowed to participate. You can check out the ESA's website here.

I imagine there was intenal disagreement with how ESA was running things with E3, and LA decided the benefits of membership were gone. Maybe the membership fees got hiked. Maybe they didn't agree with the way E3 changed. Maybe they've decided to form their own version of ESA. It'll be interesting to see what they do next.

:lol: Yeah, I was wondering how that worked too. Does LucasArts ESA membership expire after E3 and they just removed LucasArts from the published membership list early or what? And does this mean LucasArts will be participating in E3 conventions after 2008 as well or just E3 2008? I guess only time will tell...

^^^

Rather ironic if you ask me. Jim Ward was the chairman of the ESA board back when the decision was made to restrict who could come to E3 and move the convention to Santa Monica, thus it seems a good possiblity that he championed this action. Now that Mr. Ward is no longer at LucasArts it seems like his replacement isn't so keen on the whole idea and has now decided to have LucasArts quit the ESA altogether. :smirk2:

Archived