Home

Making an Unused Room into something better...

You know what I mean... Like the Lost Cantina mod... stuff like that...

I actually have a few questions concerning how to do something like this.

1. Say you want to make a counter that is not already. in the room for the "clerk" to stand behind. Can you make a counter from scratch, or do you have to use something already in the game?

2. How do you place said "clerk" to just stand behind the counter, also how would you get them to walk around the store on cue?

3. How do you spawn items such as footlockers?

4. I know there's threads for things such as this, but I wonder if anyone can explain how to do things like this to me in baby terms... :lol: I'm not too good with scripting yet, and I need some pointers...

You know what I mean... Like the Lost Cantina mod... stuff like that...

I actually have a few questions concerning how to do something like this.

1. Say you want to make a counter that is not already. in the room for the "clerk" to stand behind. Can you make a counter from scratch, or do you have to use something already in the game?

2. How do you place said "clerk" to just stand behind the counter, also how would you get them to walk around the store on cue?

3. How do you spawn items such as footlockers?

4. I know there's threads for things such as this, but I wonder if anyone can explain how to do things like this to me in baby terms... :lol: I'm not too good with scripting yet, and I need some pointers...

Good to see someone enter the modding.

1. I pretty sure that the counter (I'm guessing you want the one from the Nar Shaddaa cantina) is a placeable, so you just open up a .git file in the K-GFF and find the placeable in the Placeable list. That should have the resref/tag of it, and then you can place that placeable in the new room using certain cooridinates.

2. Well, your best friend for the first part is the Whereami Band (as for #1 as well...) and for the second part, search the Source Scripts of KTool (under BIFS -> scripts.bif -> Source Scripts) for a move script

3. Whereami Band. Use it to put where you want the footlockers.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the scripting tutorial forum is your best bet. :)
GFT

If you're not at all familiar with scripting I would recommend giving Lilac's NWN Script Generator a try (should be linked in one of the tutorial stickies). It doesn't work 100% with KotOR due to some minor differences, but most simple scripts will be fine and it is a great way to start learning some of the basics of scripting. I can't tell you how much I managed to pick up just from using it and going "oh, so that's how you would do that."

And of course when you get stuck you can always ask for specific help.

I pretty sure that the counter (I'm guessing you want the one from the Nar Shaddaa cantina) is a placeable, so you just open up a .git file in the K-GFF and find the placeable in the Placeable list. That should have the resref/tag of it, and then you can place that placeable in the new room using certain cooridinates.
Seems like it would just be easier to spawn it in-game with a script unless the whole module is getting a make-over, visually.

As long as you remember that some of the functions are different between NWN and KotOR it's a great tool to use. I still use it heavily. :)

If you need to be able to see which functions are usable in KotOR I believe there's a similar KotOR-specific tool on SWK. It's not quite as automated so I tend to use it on an as-needed basis in case I'm looking for a specific type of function and need to know the name and how it's used.

NWN Lexicon. Not an infallible scripting guide, but it's got some very useful tutorials, and should get you to grips with the basics, at least. It has a lot of functions which don't exist in KotOR and is missing some that are, but by and large it's pretty useful.

The problem with jmac's KSG is that several scripts come out a little... mangled (particularly with the FP scripting), so unless you can already 'read' scripts, it can be rather difficult to use.

In case you're interested in how I used the Nar Shaddaa lost cantina room (near trandoshan Vossk) and another unused area (2 doors) near Fassa twi'lek in the docks (Nar Shaddaa too), check this link:

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Nar_Shaddaa_Hidden_Complex;91257

it's a pretty short mod; I haven't uploaded it already here :roleyess: ... take a look at some of my mod files to see how to spawn footlockers i.e. and other things ... read carefully the readme to avoid screwing up your game.

good luck! :)

@ GeorgNihilus

Thanks! It's always great to learn from other people's work... I'm sure this will help in addition to some of the other scripting tips you all have given me... Thanks a million! (I'll tell you all more about the mod when I actually have screenies... ^^)

Archived