Home

Star Wars: The Sith Resurrection Part V: The Threefold War

Alkonium

Alkéa couldn't help but flinch at the laughter directed at Andros. He had suffered much and now he was being laughed at for his pains. She wanted to say something but it was Tiye who replied first, "That is why you have no shou. You cannot look at respect in the eye without laughing at it."

Andros didn't flinch at the laughter. Hell by the four moons of Yavin he had been called worse things and mocked for being what he was. It did bother him to a degree but he used it to an advantage. It often upset potential resistant parties in that he was not forceful but polite. In his mother's journal she wrote that each of her children must have been blessed by a Jedi who had died. Andros was more like his father's master, his sister like someone named Tahl and the twins were like her adopted brothers. Later he found out that Tahl was a close friend of his father's master. He wondered if there was purpose in that but the Force is what it wills.

Andros listened to Tiye's response and calmly tried to prevent a loss of temper, "Your kin want you back but I should warn you it is foolhardy to try to force your way on this world. This world knows who walks its earth and it doesn't take kindly to strangers."

Jun-la motioned for the group to follow the Shreyites deeper into the forests. In response to Kalla's question, she replied, "The Republic knows but this world holds many secrets that know when to reveal themselves."

((To ease confusion, shou is actually a Chinese word and roughly means respect. It is used in the same context here but often it refers to honor as well))

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garrick felt a slight influence to tell Komad what he wanted to know, but a Mandalorian such as Garrick is far too smart for a trick like that. The feeling was waived off and Garrick relaxed back into his chair and listened carefully to what the other Mandalorians were saying. They obviously not interested in joining for the grand crusade. And oddly, they seemed sentimental, the way they spoke, not a good sign of character, for Mandalorians that is.

Garrick took a breath, "I assure you, we have no intention of force our way upon the people of Amshrey, of course not. The Empire tried to force his beliefs, he's dead. The second empire, dead, and now this third empire will meet the same fate."

Garrick watched his captor's faces closely for reaction, "It is the way of things, and the only way to avoid such destruction is not to force an ideal, encourage more like, but forcing would bring about a most un-timely demise."

He adjusted his helmet so it was more comfortable, "May I know your names? It would be good to know them for communication."

Waypoint 7

27 miles to Objective 1

1000 hours

"Captain Durrel, what should we do about these dead creatures?"

Durrel looked at the furry creatures that had attacked them and met their fate.

"Pile their corpses and burn them."

Krek looked surprised," Sir, wouldn't that warn the enemy of our locations and movements?"

Durrel smiled and began walking down the forested paths again.

"Yes, it will, but do it, you'll see why when we get to the objective."

Krek nodded and started piling the bodies.

"So you want a name," Andros replied, "You know names have power. Knowing someone's name could give an advantage." It was a lesson he taught his children when he taught them to defend themselves. Even though he was there for them growing up, there was a chance that he could be taken away from them through death and he tried to make them as prepared as he could. Sometimes he wondered if it had been the right thing to do. It was on his mind when he spoke to the intruder, "You ask for a name and that implies trust. You think we are too sentimental, well at least those who walk this world. Why is that?"

"How did you..." Garrick shut up abruptly. It was a surprise indeed what the man said, and what he said shockingly made sense. This man has experience, some experience that perhaps Garrick couldn't match with two decades of warfare and bloodshed.

"Sentimentality is a dangerous trait in Mandalorians. It causes unnecessary feelings that get in the way during combat, these warriors are not as efficient as those who try to be inhuman. They lack the killer edge needed in battle."

Garrick felt strange about what he had said. He knew that what he was saying he didn't always believe, but he said it anyway to keep going. This conversation wasn't going to be good for Garrick's killer ethics.

"When warrior blood pulses through your veins along with those of the wisened ones, it makes one perceptive," Andros replied. He knew that the intruder was feeling discomfort at his response. He fought in wars before and knew things that he prayed the Force his children wouldn't have to learn but it looked as if it would be so. "Twenty years is a long time to see bloodshed but when you add a few more to that, you see a lot more."

Tiye had calmed down by this time and spoke Avalonian to her people to be ready for possible invaders. She clicked to the Shreyite representative in his language and he scurried off to do what she suggessted. She heard the bit about sentimentality and commented, "And what is killing if not an attack of the soul?"

Greea was not sure of the intruder's intentions so her sense were on alert. Still she kept her saber deactivated. She replied, "Formal parley must be met with equal measure."

Garrick twitched an eyebrow. This man knew too much, too much for any one Mandalorian, and Garrick knew that this man and many of the Mandalorians in the room, were not average. He was probably dealing with force-users to all of Garrick's knowledge. They definately knew how to make Garrick feel uncomfortable with their words. Garrick tried his best to recompose himself into an inhuman again.

"Your bloodline of the wise serves you well..such information is hard to come by, provided the user isn't force-sensitive. Perception may have some to do with what you say..."

Garrick leaned back into his chair, and he slipped a had behind the chair's back. Garrick listened to the comment on the attack of the soul.

"Killing is not the slaughtering of souls. That form of warfare is ineffective those who chose to have no feelings, only you sentimentals have such weaknesses. I am invulnerable to such an attack, now please this conversation bores me."

Garrick eased back into his chair and gripped something inside his glove.

"Indeed so, but most Sith won't return the favor," Wrath said as he placed his lightsaber at his side once more before continuing. "Fortunately I consider myself a General and not so much a Sith Lord, so you have my word the fighting shall not continue for now."

Wrath looked over at the soldiers watching the fight in front of them.

"Tell me wife of the legendary Komad Kaltas, do you have any children? I suggest thinking about this answer before directly coming out and saying it."

"You hear her words but you do not listen," Andros replied, "To kill others is to kill your own soul. If you had listened perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to judge." He stepped slightly into the llight to allow shadows cross about his person. His eyes glinted green with a slight gold tint to them. He then said, "I wouldn't attempt what you intend to do with that glove if I were you." He shifted his position to allow the light to fall across the katana attached to his belt. His lightsaber was hidden in the shadows.

Alkéa couldn't help but be startled at what Andros said. She had watched the prisoner move a casual move yet Andros had been able to detect intent. how was a mystery. She communicated to her brother in their Force bond way, How does Master Starlighter do that?

Tiye wasn't surprised that Andros had caught the intentions. It only confirmed that he had not lost his gift of reading auras even though it appeared that way at crucial times. Then later he revealed that it had been intentional in order to make the enemy feel they had an advantage. She watched as he shifted position. She then said, "You are clever Mandalorian but as I said before you have no shou. Perhaps your kin doesn't either if all they care about are credits."

Greea didn't put her lightsaber back on her belt but lowered it to a point that made her look relaxed. She still didn't trust the intruder's intentions and she kept her guard up. She was surprised to hear the question asking her about her children. She wondered if it was a gamble to make her lose focus.

Greea knew that to answer in the affirmative could place her children in danger. Yes Jun-la and Kall would watch out for her son but still it was a mother's privilege to worry. She evaded the question by saying, "Children are a blessing aren't they?"

Garrick had to admit, he was stunned. But he also knew something new, he was obviously in the presence of a force-user, no regular being could detect the situation. Garrick sighed, trying to keep his anger under control. He slipped off his glove, revealing that he was holding thermal detonite. He put the object on the ground and slid it to his captor's side of the room.

"Perhaps I should have thought clearer about this..."

He looked at the faces of his captor's, he couldn't read anything or any emotion, besides a faint feelimg of what could've been satisfaction.

"Now then, if you think that killing will somehow eat away at the soul, I'll drink to that. The soulless fight best."

He put a hand in his pocket and produced one of his cigarra's. He lit it and stared at it for a time, watching it's heat glow.

"We do not care only for money, we have other things we care about. The clan is one of them, you want to know why I hunt? I hunt to get money for the clan, to feed its people, to fund its war machines. I seek to build up my comrades so they may survive. I find that honorable, so do my Bretheren, though I will admit I'm confused, and that is why I am not on Mandalore, leading my people. I must find a way to stop the confusion of my mind before leading, otherwise I would hinder the progress of Mand'alor."

Garrick frowned at himself as he admitted something that would further break down his killer ethics. He took off his helmet and put the cigarra in his mouth, awaiting his captor's answers.

Sensing thoughts and emotions are not that difficult for Force Sensitives, and intent isn't much different from basic thought. Komad replied. Sensing intent wasn't that hard. He had done it himself a few times. It was simply a matter of determining why. "So the ends justify the means to you." He commented.

"They should come anyway. The Republic doesn't need another enemy in this war." Kalla replied. Fighting the Mandalorians as well would prove mutally destructive to all sides.

Garrick turned his head toward Komad, "Yes, I believe they almost always do. I would wipe out a village if it stood a threat to a larger and more important plan. But then, that is where I am confused...."

Garrick put the cigarra on his lap and stuck his hand into his pocket again.

Andros had picked up the thermal detonator and looked at it. The Mandalorian was clever and reminded him of the paces Selene put him through when he trained. He then agreed, "A lifetime of war can cloud the eyes. However to attack a people who did no harm to you is cause for saying you have no shou."

Andros looked at the Madalorian, "Justification through victory was once the motto of the father of the people that walk this earth. Time shows that there is more to life than conquering."

Tiye listened intently. She had heard of her ancestor's history and how Clan Ordo and the Mandalorians gathered under him changed their view of things. They still had Mandalorian traditions but they knew that war was not always the answer. Part of it was the Avalonian heritage. She listened to the conversation.

Andros then said, "The soulless do not fight best. They have nothing tying them to life so they might as well be dead."

Alkéa was talking to her brother through the Force, Perhaps it is that strange thing that some AValonians do, reading auras, the physical manifestation of emotions. ANdors always said emotions are easier to read than thoughts.

Jun-la didn't answer until the little Shreyite led them to a clearing. Then almost as if it were magic, Belosian warriors appeared out of the forest along with Republic troops. They approached the group and barked in a strange dialect that Jun-la readily answered.

The male who addressed her, much to Matton's dismay, grinned and gave Jun-la a big bear hug. She then turned to Kalla and replied, "As I said the forest reveals its own secrets. This is my cousin Tahl of Belos and I am sure you know that these are Republic soldiers. Surprise are you not?"

"Canderous was right when he spoke of victory as the reason for all means. His words echo of that of Mandalore the Ultimate, also known as Gir'rak Derekil, leader and ruler of the Mandalorians..."

Garrick slid a gloved hand over his short dark-brown hair. He then stubbed out the cigarra and put his helmet back on.

"The soulless fight purely for the fight, for the victory. There living death is then justifyable. To Mandalorians, through the ages, victory is all. That victory is what keeps the soulless alive."

Garrick sat straightened his back and tried his best to make eye contact with everybody in the room. He tried his best to keep from showing any emotion whatsoever. But no matter what he did, Garrick knew that his captor's would still probably know his feelings. It was an uncomfortable thought.

Amshrey

A random Forest Clearing

Checkpoint Chorrel

"Captain Durrel!"

Captain Durrel turned to face his squad of twenty and his lieutenant, Krek.

"What is it, Krek?"

"Scout squad 1 reports troop movements to the southeast in the target zone. Troop movements, sir, not natives. I have a video link on-helmet."

Krek transferred the video to Durrel's helmet. Durrel watched the video closely to identify the soldiers moving. Their uniforms couldn't have made them clearer. Durrel smiled,"I do believe Admiral Barek's plan is working. We have caught Republic troops in the act. Prepare a tracking movement. I think we've goaded these Republics long enough."

Durrel loaded another clip into his blaster rifle and signaled for his squad to follow.

Wrath nodded at her response before responding himself.

"Indeed they are, its one thing I never do, harm children that is. From your response it sounds like you have them and if that's the case we can both walk away from this situation alive. I will see to it your children will not be harmed nor taken captive, all I need you to do is help me with your brother Dar."

"Victory that keeps the soulless alive is an empty victory," Andros replied. He was aware this conversation was making the prisoner uncomfortable. "Empty victory becomes meaningless ad the already dead become dead. He saw this long ago."

Greea had not heard of or from her brother since he turned. Still familial ties held strong. She asked, "And why did you not attack your quarry?"

Garrick leaned forward, "Surely, if you are truly Mandalorian, you should know the importance of victory! It is what makes us what we are, it is the only way to survive, is through victory in battle, we all become one of the Glorious Dead someday, it is our destiny!"

Garrick tried his best to keep his feelings true to his cause of victory, and how lack of emotion and soul bring about better victory. But he knew that he was slipping in this conversation, and he was beginning to understand his captors.

"Canderous the Preserver was wise, yes, but how could he have left the clans in dissarray like this, without our sense of honor and victory! Tell me, why have you fellow Mandalorians gone this way?"

"I'm impressed. Covert ops, I take it?" Kalla inquired. She was unaware of any major Republic prescence in the Amshrey system, despite it being a prime target for the Rashikians.

"Clearly views on honour differ." Komad commented. "But whose view is right? Perhaps both, perhaps neither. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. How do you really know?"

The question caught Garrick completely off guard. All he could do was lean back into his chair and gawk under his helmet. Garrick just couldn't think of an answer. He knly knew that he had kept his faith in what he believed in for the longest time, not questioning it.

Garrick nodded his head and thought carefully about what was said.

"Its one of the reasons my master wanted me to capture you. I don't have to capture you if you can stop Dar or something along the lines of this. As I said your children will never be harmed and we both walk out of here alive."

Wrath looked down at the floor and then looked back up.

"Besides your kids must be getting a little nervous as to where you are."

Andros was amused at being called a Mandalorian. Selene would be proud to hear that of her. Her people took a special pride in their heritage. He listened intently as Komad gave his answer. He watched the Mandalorian think and could guess what he was thinking. HE said, "Easy it never is to hear that what is called tradition could be wrong. Part of learning it is."

Jun-la looked at Tahl for a moment before replying, "More of your aunt's doing. She figured that since Belos and Amshrey have the heaviest concentration of warriors, it would be best if Republic troops learned from them. More it was a training thing."

"When we picked up Mandalorian vessels, we sent a signal to the fleet," Tahl added, "Surprising what can slip by unnoticed."

Greea thought for a moment. She did not like having herself being backed into a corner by anyone or anything. She didn't want to endanger her children but she didn't really trust the intruder before her. "And Dar figures into this?" It was a fishing expedition but better to get information than to walk in blind with none.

Garrick looked back up at his captors and sighed.

"The what do you think is the right thing to do...what is honorable?"

Garrick leaned back into his chair again to think on what he said. His confusion had greatly increased with this conversation. And Garrick knew that by the end of it, something would've changed. For the better? Garrick may not know for a long time.

Attack point Bleret

Random Forest

"Durrel, sir, we're in position for the attack."

Durrel put on his macro-binoculars and zeroed them in on the Rpublic troops. They appeared to be talking with the natives. Possibly some sort of exchange.

"The natives are obviously friendly with the Republic. We need to be quick. Kill all the Republics before they get out a signal, start your jammers. We're headhunting tonight."

He shouldered his assault rifle and zeroed its cross-hairs over one of the Republic soldier's temples. He brought the scope onto his eye. He raised a hand, the signal was to attack when he brought it down. He could see from his radar that his men were all arrayed in an ambush position. If everything went right, the Rpublic troops would all be dead without knowing what hit them.

Durrel sighed and raised his hand a little higher.

Andros gave a slight shrug of his shoulders. Personally he thought it a trick question considering that he had been on enough worlds to know that the meaning differed. He replied, "My homeworld believes that honor is what is inside you. It is something you know and is not defined by skills as a warrior or how many bodies you can rack up."

Sensing the Mandalorians, Kalla said to the group, "Get down!" She then motioned for Andorra to get to the back. They didn't need someone else important being held for ransom.

"Don't let others decide for you what it means." Komad commented. He was never fond of blind acceptance of anything, not even his own ideals.

"PO'SHOYA'TANAR! We've been seen! Attack!!!" shouted Durrel.

A hail of blaster shots rained down upon the group of Republic soldiers, dropping at least two of the enemy troops. Durrel fixed his bayonet onto his rifle and stood up. He fired a red flare into the air, and simultaneosly, the battalion under his command charged. The Mandalorians had been revealed to Amshrey in dramatic fashion.

Garrick listened to the Jedi's words. He nodded carefully and noticed something blinking in his helmet. His radar was signalling that combat had begun with fellow Mandalorians involved. He couldn't help but smile. He stayed still and said nothing maintaining his composure and staring directly at Komad.

"Wise words, I have yet to find that is what is inside me, I'll find the answer, by the proper means."

Archived