Home

Intel vs AMD, your opinions on which I should go with?

Marius Fett

Ok, as you might know, if you've seen my "Choices, choices" thread, i'm looking to build a new rig sometime in the near future.

I'll hopefully get some cash for Christmas to put towards it, so i'm holding out on ordering it until then.

One thing i've been thinking about, is whether to get an Intel, or an AMD processor.

I've had good experiences with both in the past, and as you know, (if you've seen my other thread) i've got an AMD Phenom X4 Quad listed.

I'm definitely willing to get an Intel instead, so i'd appreciate it if I could get some other opinions as to which brand to go with.

Cheers peeps. :D

Not to soud like an Intel fanboi (because I'm not) but Intel has been mopping the floor with AMD for more than two years, ever since the release of Core2 Duo. This may change with the introduction of the 45NM Phenoms at year's end, but for now the 65NM Phenom is AMD's equivalent to Intel's Prescott. Wait 'till then to make your decision. The 45NM Phenom promises to be much better, but like all of AMD's promises of late I'm taking it with dumptruck load of salt.

I agree with Qliveur.

I have used processors from both AMD and Intel in the past but try to go with what is best for my needs when I buy. Having seen your "new computer thread" posted recently, I'd personally go with a more powerful dual core such as the e8400 or e8500 processor instead of the Phenom Quad Core 9550 if it's for gaming. Very few games take advantage of the the Quad core now (and when they will really do your CPU will be outdated anyway) so you'd better go for power rather than counting the number of cores. (For word processing, no one cares, any processor will do fine...what difference will it make if you homework essay is being processed 1/1000 of a second faster/slower...but if you're into 3d or serious audio stuff, it might be worth a second look.)

Anyway, you can have a look at those charts and see what fits your needs (taking into account the budget): http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2008-q1-2008/benchmarks,16.html

I second the motion that a higher-clocked dual is superior to a lower-clocked quad for the vast majority of gaming. I also agree that by the time you'll really need a quad, you'll need an entirely new platform.

I'd like to point out that Shanghai/Deneb is indeed worth waiting for, especially since he's starting from scratch. There are some very good, very cheap AM2+ motherboards out there, and DDR2 is cheap as dirt. I am keeping my fingers crossed for AMD. Shanghai/Deneb has the potential to beat Yorkfield while offering a cheaper alternative to a Core i7 rig, which requires an X58 motherboard and DDR3. If it's performance falls somewhere between that of Yorkfield and Core i7 while using a cheaper platform than Core i7, AMD stands to clean up. ;)

Well, like I said, i'll wait until the New Year before deciding anything definite. I kinda prefer AMD to Intel, but i'll see what happens.

if you're into 3d or serious audio stuff, it might be worth a second look

This is where I might actually need a Quad. Soon, i'm REALLY hoping to get better with Max, so i'll be using that alot.

I'm also trying to get into Audio Editing with Audition too. Those two programs, along with Photoshop (which I have open pretty mach 24/7 take up quite a bit of memory and processing power while they're rendering stuff. I have FireFox, Media Player and numerous other apps running pretty much all the time too, so it all adds up.so I want to get the best I possibly can. I have FireFox, Media Player and numerous other apps running pretty much all the time too, so it all adds up. So i'll need the best processor I can get my paws on. (Even if going Quad means having to use Intel for a higher clock speed than the X4.)

^Yeah, it's prob. the general consensus around the web and all that...AMD is cheaper when it comes to processors...

If you want my personal opinion (who doesn't?), I'd go Intel for the next "generation" (even though it sounds like you don't wait too long before upgrading again). Core 2 Duos, Quads, etc. are a lot more efficient and powerful in the long run. There's nothing wrong w/ AMD processors, but if you are willing to spend a little extra coin, it's worth it. Hope that helps.

^As i've said, i'll use an Intel CPU if I can't get a similar AMD one, but there's no point in getting an Intel one, if I can get an AMD one with the same speed for a smaller price.

As I said, i'll wait to see what's available when I order this thing in the New Year. Nothing is set in stone yet, so I hae plenty of time to decide. :)

Archived