Home

It's Inauguration Day!

Jae Onasi

I saw bits of this in the pub, in between being bored off my tits by the Glaswegian next to me about Baroness Thatcher, the civil rights movement, secularism and the Problems Of Today (batteries not included).

Things which occurred to me:

1) Obama is a brilliant orator - quite possibly the best in the English-speaking world at the moment. Although given the competition, that isn't saying much. Nonetheless, he's good.

2) The rest were not. At times, some of them seemed actually incoherent, although the dodgy subtitles may not have helped this impression.

3) Awful music. John Williams? Has your country sunk so low that its greatest composer is a dealer in trashy film scores? I'll take Zadok the Priest and the possibility of despotism, kthx.

4) You appear to have the wrong lyrics for "God Save the Queen". :p

5) I had no idea that the Capitol Building was that big.

6) There is NO point 6.

7) Obama's victory bears a certain resemblance to two other historical outsiders to climb the greasy pole: Cicero and Disraeli. The question is whether or not he, like them, will prove to be more style than substance. Cynicism suggests so, given his style of rhetoric, but time will tell.

8) We are now on a ~50 year countdown to an American emperor.

5) I had no idea that the Capitol Building was that big.
The actual stands for the VIPs aren't permanently part of the Capitol, they're just makeshift stands fashioned to resemble the building; they're only used for inaugurations.

8) We are now on a ~50 year countdown to an American emperor.
Strange, I thought we already had Nixon.

3) Awful music. John Williams? Has your country sunk so low that its greatest composer is a dealer in trashy film scores? I'll take Zadok the Priest and the possibility of despotism, kthx.

Trashy film scores? what?

I understand what you're saying, but John Williams is a musical genius.

The actual stands for the VIPs aren't permanently part of the Capitol, they're just makeshift stands fashioned to resemble the building; they're only used for inaugurations.

Ah, that explains a lot. :p

Strange, I thought we already had Nixon.

1) Wasn't deified;

2) Bears only a vague resemblance to Vespasian (although Dr. Kissenger...);

3) Would look awful in purple. :p

To be fair, John Williams is possibly about as close as the US could get to Handel. And it's that, or more Sousa (like there isn't enough already). :p

What show were you watching? It was great! A little slow paced at some parts, but everything sounded great.

Trashy film scores? what?

I understand what you're saying, but John Williams is a musical genius.

lol1.gif

To be fair, John Williams is possibly about as close as the US could get to Handel. And it's that, or more Sousa (like there isn't enough already). :p

I cannot accept that a country of 120 million which has now existed for 200 years has produced only one decent composer.

What show were you watching? It was great! A little slow paced at some parts, but everything sounded great.

It was nice. Pre-packaged, freeze-dried, utterly uninteresting and about as equal to the occasion as a dripping tap.

A word for it would be 'dull', and describing it as an original composition was a laugh. The middle sequence was particularly execrable, with the motif ripped from the tackier end of happy-clappy Christian 'worship music'. The rest was little more than lift music.

in between being bored off my tits by the Glaswegian next to me about Baroness Thatcher, the civil rights movement, secularism and the Problems Of Today (batteries not included).

always one isn't there? or at least one even.

did the Problems Of Today include the NHS? it usually does.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived