Home

LucasArts on the Virtual Console

clone2727

You can already play them all using SCUMMVM... with the Wiimote! Ahh, the Wii...
Sadly, Shadows of the Empire, Infernal Machine, the Star Wars NES games, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures aren't supported in ScummVM :p

Firstly, SCUMMVM is an emulator. It emulates the original SCUMM interpreter's functions (while extending them). It's not like it's just a front-end that "Runs" the game code - while that's true to a large extent, if that was all it did then there would be no interactivity (point and click, etc) as all of those functions belong in the executable file.

Just like SNES9X (and other emulators) SCUMMVM is unable to use the original game save data as it it written in a different format.

By the way "virtual console" games contain their own emulators written by Nintendo that allow them to run, and just like any other emulator even if you copied the save games off your original cartridges you wouldn't be able to use them.

There are many ways to obtain ROMS without downloading them - you could have bought a Wii VC game, copied to your computer through the SD card and then ripped the ROM out of it. In any case, I think it's largely irrelevant how you acquired your PC copy so long as you do own the original game...

BTW last time I checked SCUMMVM supports the NES version of MM (as well as console-vewrsion support for other games)...

An emulator takes a piece of binary code made for another system and emulates, often at a low level, the functions of that system in order for the code to run.

ScummVM is an interpreter of the SCUMM code made by reverse engineering the original engine. It doesn't emulate another system, it reads the SCUMM resource files and displays the result to the user, just like the original EXE files did.

Archived