Home

Lucascast: Episode 9

acdcfanbill

How do you rate this episode of LucasCast?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this episode of LucasCast?

• Excellent!
    • It was very good.
    • It was okay.
    • You guys can do a lot better.
    • It sucked!

lucascast_threadtitle.png

Release date: 14 July 2009

Download page: http://www.lucascast.com/episode-9/

Summary:

• Games we’re playing
  • Alpha Protocol
  • PSP is nothing but ports
  • Moonwalker
  • Pros vs. Cons of Achievements
  • Moar Humor!
  • KotOR???

Comments:

This cast is a return to form of free form podcasting... Some familar members are missing here but we've got a witty Aussie replacement!

Hope you enjoy! And please leave us comments! Let us know what you think of the episode, and if you have any questions you want answered on the show, use our contact form or email us at questions@lucascast.com.

Thanks for that one minute of Alpha Protocol coverage. :indif:

Last, but not least, achievements are good way of adding replay value towards a game, but the whole concept of a gamescore is total rubbish, and it puts achievements as some sort of bragging right rather than an actual gameplay tool. I also dislike gameplay bonuses derived from which achievements you have. Mass Effect became an even easier cakewalk once you had a good number achievements, as all those minute increases in damage or health percentages really added up once you had unlocked enough.

Regarding the TF2 achievements:

The community has been pretty split regarding the achievement reward system. The reason for this is as soon as they started giving alternative weapons away with achievements, there immediately popped up servers devoted entirely to grinding the achievements, because people obviously wanted the new weapons right away. This was okay in itself, but not really what was intended.

It also caused people to try and grind achievements on normal servers, thereby disrupting the flow of the game for the rest of the people playing. Not quite as cool. =/

In the most recent update, they switched the system, so that instead of getting the weapons by achievements, they appeared as random drops while you were playing the game instead. This, of course, made the Internet even less happy, and started complaining about how there wasn't any skill involved anymore, and how rare the new weapons were.

In the end, they enabled the achivement system again, so now you can get the weapons both ways.

So, what is best? Giving alternate weapons through random chance, or through a system based on skill, thereby only allowing a select number of people to get them?

So, what is best? Giving alternate weapons through random chance, or through a system based on skill, thereby only allowing a select number of people to get them?
I think that both systems are good. I really disliked the emphasis on achievement-based rewards, as it required you to devote countless amounts of time into the game, if only to gain a possible advantage over the "haves".

At the same time, the "random" method is friendlier, as it encourages more casual players like myself to play at their own whim, with the feeling that you will eventually get better weapons, no matter how good you are at the game. The problem with that, however, is that I've collected many duplicates of items that I don't know what to do with. Valve said that will implement a "trading" option for items, which is good, since I now have at least five Cloak & Daggers that I don't now what to do with.

Strangely enough, the debate has so many parallels to affirmative action. :p

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. I missed this one and had listened to Ep10 first....

Imagine my surprise when I heard niner reigning the discussion in to keep it related to gaming !!

Jeff's absence was very evident, Mr Moeller is a very organised and professional fellow, and this shines through in the work he does. You cant have everyone be off the cuff and relaxed, and in this ep it began to show. You cannot use the descriptor "Free form" to try make ''disorganised'' sound cool somewhow.

Having endured Ep10... It was obvious the crew needs a much deserved break towards the end of this one. Theyve done some great work and should have left it at that. I also think its an excellent idea to have a dedicated producer/organiser, as per the advertised position. Good luck to all applicants, I dont envy you - having to deal with LFNs biggest egos celebrities all at once would be a daunting task :D

Also nice to hear some more Aussie representation with Gonk ;) I think he is a JK.net personality, so I myself dont rememeber him well, but still good to hear that familair twang in the accent. Ripper! ;)

As for achievements and the like.. being a PC gamer - we dont have to worry about such trite things. I have seen it filter through on some ported games... like Assassins Creed for example and those 'additional memories' which arent good for anything exc points in the 360 version........

mtfbwya

Archived