Home

LucasArts to make World Exclusive Announcements™ at Comic-Con

Sabretooth

^^^

It ain't mandatory if you were in a 'bad kids' class. Instead, it's a mandatory check out by law enforcement since now they believe you're making bombs instead. :xp:

Well, so far as the comics...I was reading the KOTOR comics/ Legacy comics and I saw...something with the online comics printed...Guess we have a hint at what is to come *in print* now.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how can they give a good story to all 10 million players of the game?
Lol. TOR won't have anywhere near 10 million players. WOW has about 12 million and it owns 2/3 of the MMO market. Assuming TOR manages to equal the next biggest slice of market share (around 6-7%) they will likely have a stable player base of 300,000-400,000 (with maybe 600,000-700,000 at launch, before everyone quits and goes back to WOW).

TOR is a money grab by Bioware and LA, plain and simple. Everyone sees that WOW is a licence to print money and wants a piece of that action (Blizzard must currently be bringing in around US$180,000,000 per month, gross). TOR will try, and "fail" (if you can really call turning over US$4-6mil a month failing), like everyone else that has gone after WOW. They fail to see the reality of the market - the majority of the SW fanbase don't understand or want to pay for an MMO, and the majority of the long-term MMO playerbase aren't at all interested in the story schlock Bioware is promoting.

<snip> They fail to see the reality of the market - the majority of the SW fanbase don't understand or want to pay for an MMO, and the majority of the long-term MMO playerbase aren't at all interested in the story schlock Bioware is promoting.

Which begins to make me wonder if it won't end up being ported into a multidisc multiplayer game for consoles and packaged with SWG while doing so. In other words, taking the cow once it has tipped over, placing it upright, repackaging it and selling it again. This time as something their fans WILL go for: a home based single-to-multiplayer game. Kind of like JK and JA have been. You want to play it online? You set up the servers yourself. I can see this as a last ditch. (After major failure or expiration, of course happening first!)

Go grab yourself DOSBox and copy LucasArts Archives vol. 4. (I mean right now :p)

Well, I would, but, um... (lowers voice) I'm terrible at flight simulators! :eek:

Anyway, Revan411...I hope you change your mind when you play the trial for TOR. (Actually, I hope you'll get so engrossed in your character's story that you want to see what happens next. :p)

Lol. TOR won't have anywhere near 10 million players. WOW has about 12 million and it owns 2/3 of the MMO market. Assuming TOR manages to equal the next biggest slice of market share (around 6-7%) they will likely have a stable player base of 300,000-400,000 (with maybe 600,000-700,000 at launch, before everyone quits and goes back to WOW).

TOR is a money grab by Bioware and LA, plain and simple. Everyone sees that WOW is a licence to print money and wants a piece of that action (Blizzard must currently be bringing in around US$180,000,000 per month, gross). TOR will try, and "fail" (if you can really call turning over US$4-6mil a month failing), like everyone else that has gone after WOW. They fail to see the reality of the market - the majority of the SW fanbase don't understand or want to pay for an MMO, and the majority of the long-term MMO playerbase aren't at all interested in the story schlock Bioware is promoting.

I can only hope that you're right and that the damned thing falls flat on it's face. I'm still extremely bitter about KotOR III's cancellation and LA's blatant attempt at pigeon-holing the KotOR fanbase into playing (and paying for) a ****ing MMO that it didn't ask for. :carms:

Well if Galaxies is anything to go by, when LA doesn't start seeing the same hojillians of dollars Blizzard is making, TOR will be completely raped in an effort to bring in more players, thereby alienating the actually quite reasonably-sized (and profitable) existing playerbase it already has. Either way, I wouldn't get your hopes up on another single player KOTOR ever seeing the light of day.

Here is a video of the new content TFU is releasing:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

WHOA! I almost wanna get a copy of TFU now that it's $20 at Target...I have a 360 and just figured out how easy getting online and on XBL can be.

I love these sort of "infinitum" one-off stories. Like the SW infinities comics. Hoo boy, I never seen so much "what if" content that actually got me excited. (Yes, that's right, I been waiting all this time for TFU to come down in price!!!)

^ That's marketing for ya. Think about it, though... What is so exclusive about a "World Announcement"?

Good point. If I may, fine sir, you pull off teh Han Solo bit pretty well.

They all say that. Every time LA announces a world exclusive, people get excited. For all the stupid things LA has done, people still fall into their trap. :p

This doesn't redeem LA, since, yeah, it's a little bit too late, and it's not really a world-exclusive. But I've always wanted to play the game, and now it seems I'll get the chance to.

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't get too excited much anymore. Rarely. I'm slow to get around to stuff.

I actually didn't buy KOTOR until 2006, and then TSL in 2007. I beat K1 the same year. However I took my time w/ getting started on K2. Even after I did, it took me until nearly the end of 2008 to fully play it through.

They force persuade us into getting excited.
You do realize Jabba will call you a weak minded fool, yes?

Wikipedia: "Abandonware is computer software that is no longer sold or supported, or whose copyright ownership may be unclear for various reasons. While the term has been applied largely to older games, other classes of software are sometimes described as such."

DOSBox emulates abandonware. The point is, it's free.

Same goes w/ Mac OS releases.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Where were these re-releases when Windows API phased out MS-DOS?

Not everyone wanted to undertake that--so it doesn't surprise me they don't give a flip what people do with these old games and programs.

Anyone remember the old Exile series of RPGs? They didn't get victimized, just renamed into the Avernum series.

Ironically I actually found out about it from an old mac game using the same engine. These are okay to mod and create stuff on. Freeware/abandonware.

For all intents and purposes the Wii version is a completely different game from the 360/PS3 version, which is what is getting ported to PC.

I'd love it if that version came out for PC b/c I would get a modding team together to make the lightsaber dueling mechanics interface as much like real sword play as possible. Anyone wanna work on the sword play with me? :p

[/Wishful Thinking]

Not KotOR III...

...Not happy :carms:

(sigh)

Please, please do me a favor. Wait to say it'll stink after it comes out and you've tried it. >_< I'm not saying whether it'll be good or bad, but I'm really sick of people saying it'll be bad just because they wanted a KOTOR III instead of an MMO. Who knows, maybe they'll actually accomplish a story in an MMO. Maybe not. We can't know yet.

I have a thought: with so many fans in the "over-under" category...if this MMO flops b/c of the fee, I can imagine a porting (albeit perhaps abridged w/ some "fixes") of this installment being sold for home consoles... and a sort of "you provide the server" deal. I would not be surprised if it also entailed SWG in the same package.

Archived