Home

LucasArts to make World Exclusive Announcements™ at Comic-Con

Sabretooth

God, SE versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter would be too awesome for words. I wonder if there's even a remote possibility of that ever happeneing.

You know, in this era of games practically playing themselves, how well would new versions of those games, which I regarded as quite difficult, actually sell? X-Wing was near-impossible before the patch.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, in this era of games practically playing themselves, how well would new versions of those games, which I regarded as quite difficult, actually sell? X-Wing was near-impossible before the patch.
They'd probably be dumbed down to the utmost level of simplicity for console-friendly gamepads. Let's face it; people are too stupid (or at least that's what publishers believe) to manage a manually-controlled throttle. Think about adding a power management system, target tracking, and wingmen commands. The resulting onslaught of complaints consisting of "IT'S TOO HARD!!!1!" would be more than enough to convince LucasArts to kill all previous franchises and start anew.

First of all' date=' DOSBox has nothing to do with abandonware.[/quote']

Wikipedia: "Abandonware is computer software that is no longer sold or supported, or whose copyright ownership may be unclear for various reasons. While the term has been applied largely to older games, other classes of software are sometimes described as such."

DOSBox emulates abandonware. The point is, it's free.

Second' date=' abandonware isn't a legal concept.[/quote']

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a gamer.

Third' date=' this is the first time in about 5 years that LEC has even acknowledged that these games existed.[/quote']

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Where were these re-releases when Windows API phased out MS-DOS?

DOSBox emulates abandonware. The point is, it's free.
DOSBox is a DOS emulator, i.e., it emulates DOS, and therefore, any DOS-based game. It isn't a game engine recreation a la ScummVM, but really an entire emulated OS and all of its dependencies.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Where were these re-releases when Windows API phased out MS-DOS?
It's not about compatibility; there's plenty of workarounds for older games on newer systems today (DOSBox, ScummVM, to name a few). It's the fact that LucasArts is finally returning to its roots, after it essentially put the final nail in the coffin for adventure gaming after reducing and eventually canceling all production of advy games. That was huge slap in the face to its core fanbase, especially when it was games like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island that put LucasArts on the map in the first place. It's good to see LucasArts even mentioning their existence, after doing nothing but Star Wars game for the past several years.

^ Valve. Nintendo. I'm sure EA has at one time (they own half the industry anyway). Every studio has their moments in time.

Really? I don't remember Valve or Nintendo making announcements that awesome in the span of under two months. They've both done some good stuff in the long run (Valve especially has a near-flawless record), but LucasArts is getting back into the action by being active again. Think about it, just one day before E3, who had the slightest hint that by August, we'll be playing two new Monkey Island games, classic LA games distributed via Steam and have official confirmation that TFU is coming for the PC (something that people have wanted since the beginning of time).

Sure LA isn't firing bazookas in every direction, but they're doing something alright and it looks like they're on the right track for sure.

It isn't a game engine recreation a la ScummVM, but really an entire emulated OS and all of its dependencies.It's not about compatibility; there's plenty of workarounds for older games on newer systems today (DOSBox, ScummVM, to name a few). It's the fact that LucasArts is finally returning to its roots, after it essentially put the final nail in the coffin for adventure gaming after reducing and eventually canceling all production of advy games. That was huge slap in the face to its core fanbase, especially when it was games like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island that put LucasArts on the map in the first place. It's good to see LucasArts even mentioning their existence, after doing nothing but Star Wars game for the past several years.

Well put, sir. But can we trust LA to not transform their classics into the same rubbish shovelware that they've been pushing on us for the last few years? I don't want to sound ungrateful for Monkey Island and like endeavors, but I'd be pissed if they decided to do Lego X-Wing DS or something ridiculous like that.

Sure LA isn't firing bazookas in every direction, but they're doing something alright and it looks like they're on the right track for sure.

I hope so, I really do. But they need to do more to tickle my enthusiasm (though I am looking forward to getting my hands on Monkey Island, big time). Maybe keep an eye on some 3rd party studios, see what they're hiring for?

TFU for Mac. That's interesting.

Right now I'm feeling two ways.

1. Good! Because LucasArts has decided to release a game for Mac. For me that's always a good thing, wether I buy it or not.

2. Meh. I wasn't thrilled with TFU when I played it on my friend's Wii, but I think it could be better for computer. Still, any announcement relating to X-Wing/Tie, JK(1-2), or Republic Commando and KotOR would have been FAR more welcome. Unfortunately I don't think LucasArts will ever do anything to revive the titles that made so many of us fans.

Yes of course, we need our seven thousand DaRtH rEvAn mods with Episode V hilts.

Not to mention the obligatory weekly ultimate end-all-be-all saber blade color tweak mod (closer to the look of the films than evar b4!!)

Seriously though, good mod communities are built around the best custom content. There will be lots of riff-raff and even some shenanigans but there will also be some really great must-haves.

well, some of you can say what you want, but i'm convinced that this is a step forward for LA. i mean, somebody had to introduce their staff to Crysis eventually. :p

seriously, though, the bonus content is really what's got my motor turning (more so for the alternate story than anything). if they can even fix some of the flaws in the original for the PC version (and give it prettier graphics to boot), it'll be a step in the right direction. if they include mod tools, too.... :D

then again, its best not to get me hopes up too high. this is LA we're talking about...

It's the same dev that did KotOR on Mac, can't be that bad.
Er, what? This is Aspyr Media we're talking about here. Most of their ports end up performing 50 to 75% of what their Windows counterparts usually are, and are usually extremely buggy, forcing Aspyr to constantly release an after-market patch for bugs alone.

Don't believe me? See how long it took them to release a K1 patch for frame buffer and soft shadow effects, including Intel support. that was released in '07, for a '04 game mind you, and was considered a beta candidate. It's still in beta, and there's still a massive amount of bugs that people encounter. Feel free to look up info on their ports of NWN2, Civ4 and CoD4 for more proof.

seriously, though, the bonus content is really what's got my motor turning (more so for the alternate story than anything). if they can even fix some of the flaws in the original for the PC version (and give it prettier graphics to boot), it'll be a step in the right direction. if they include mod tools, too.... :D

It will be fun to finally play the game. As far as the port goes, I'd like to reiterate what Darth said... it's being done by a third party studio. They'll take the most recent next-gen (360 or PS3) release candidate from LA and port that version of the game. They won't update the graphics unless they were contracted to do so and they won't fix legacy bugs (bugs which were present in the original console builds) unless they're causing instability (i.e. they added code which isn't working because of a legacy bug, or a legacy bug is a breach of standards on the new platforms' certifications).

Archived