Home

Marriage Break Up... Bad for health!

jonathan7

Not terribly surprising. Actually, it's simply a confirmation of something that's been occurring for, erm, forever. Stress is an obvious detriment towards physical well-being; I can't really see how this shocking, at the least.

I wasn't really think it was shocking, but western society seems to ignore things like this, which I would of though are obvious...

Theory: statistics show that happily married males tend to live longer than bachelors. Don't know the stats for women... stress tends to be higher when dealing with children.

Maybe divorce increases the likelihood that people will let themselves become pigs or anti-social afterwards? Maybe the stress caused by an abusive relationship is what causes the health statistics? (Bad relationships usually results in divorce) There are a number of possibilities that can be linked to, but aren't the sole cause of the health problems.

I would say that one who lives with extreme levels of stress tend to have shorter lifespans. Those who get divorces tend to have higher levels of stress than happily married couples.

Theory: statistics show that happily married males tend to live longer than bachelors. Don't know the stats for women... stress tends to be higher when dealing with children.

Maybe divorce increases the likelihood that people will let themselves become pigs or anti-social afterwards? Maybe the stress caused by an abusive relationship is what causes the health statistics? (Bad relationships usually results in divorce) There are a number of possibilities that can be linked to, but aren't the sole cause of the health problems.

I would say that one who lives with extreme levels of stress tend to have shorter lifespans. Those who get divorces tend to have higher levels of stress than happily married couples.

Not having seen the study, I can't say for sure, but I would be surprised if they didn't adjust for the level of stress created by the relationship itself when they were making those calculations.

That would be rather hard to do, especially since some (like my parents) split up before the relationship goes completely down the drain, which means that they would not be terribly stressed during the end of the relationship. Not saying divorced once don't suffer from more stress than those in a relationship, which they obviously do, both because the relationship can be a rather big part of ones identity, but also the issue concerning kids, not to mention financial problems which tend to be rather big, especially for the woman.

As an aside, I really dislike the articles sugestion of subsidizing marriage, not only are married couples on average far wealthier than single parents/divorced parents with joint responsibility for the kids, it also seems discriminating if it isn't extended to any couple raising children.

^^^Or extended to anyone who just simply decided to take on a child of their own accord because that person could see how messed up a situation.

@ subject: I would agree with the general general premise--though perhaps not in every case as some have already pointed out above.

The children often times turn out basically how their personal character is from the time it is "set in". In situations like a divorce or a rough going, the children have more opportunity to do things their parents may not catch so soon. Other things may also occur character development wise.

The couple itself: Depends. Unhappily together or broken up? Not a kind choice. Lesser of two evils sort of thing.

@ J7: It isn't so much ignoring it, as it is inured to it. At least that's what I get from it and based upon personal experience having known many people who've been growing up in that situation.

Though my parents were together for my childhood (are still together in my adulthood), almost everyone else I knew had some level of dysfunctionality in their home life.

As you've pointed out to me, USA has a large percentage of material-centric population. So I find it as little surprise that materialistic or pill popping people ignore health signs and warnings. I only wish it wasn't so.

However, for the ones *not* in that category...your guess is probably as good as mine...Wild guess: attraction to heavy drama. After all, I'm sure we've all seen those celebrity Las Vegas weddings which is all the rave in popular media. Idiotic stars. Weddings are now entertainment circuses and jokes. Which is rather distressing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived