Home

Monkey Island 2 music re-recording

Daveproyoyoyo

I have no idea what he's going on about, but as he says, VSC is based on the SC-88Pro. I think it has some different samples lined up in the same order as the MT-32 as an approximation of it. However, it's useless for playing most MT-32 compatible games as they tend to use the MT-32's more special features which includes re-arranging the instrument order and programming new sounds. MI2 has a custom bass sound, some synth pads, and several sound effects which the LEC guys programmed for the MT-32. Other synths will ignore these things and play the wrong instruments.

Bah! :(

Wikipedia does seem to indicate some sort of MT-32 compatibility as standard, though, so I don't think it's anything he's done specifically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GS

Although, as you say, missing features.

I can't believe I'm going to be forced to wait for one of these wonderful devices to come up for sale here in the UK. This is outrageous... Roland should really sort this out. Bah! :(

Woohoo! I've managed to get Roland Virtual Sound Canvas working with ScummVM (thanks to that link on the ScummVM forums). Ok, so it's not as amazing as your real MT-32, but until I can find one, this will do. Take a listen!

http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/webpics/mi2.mp3

There's quite a medley (I tried to visit just about everywhere on Scabb). The weird repetitive noise in the IHoM music is the sound of Guybrush sitting in the coffin -- no idea what it was supposed to represent but it stopped when he got out.

I think I have to agree with the other guy: It does sound great! Not perfect, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Roland VSC is garbage. It might sound ok for now, but if you compared it to the real thing you'd find it sounds 100 times better and that VSC is pure crap. The Yamaha S-YXG50 soft synth is much better than VSC if you can get a hold of that.

I have compared it. :raise: Why don't you do a direct comparison yourself from the links below?

Real MT-32: http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/monkey2.php

Roland VSC: http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/webpics/mi2.mp3 (several songs in one file)

I wouldn't say that the MT-32 was 100 times better. I'll try the Yamaha as you suggested, though.

To be honest I think what sounds best, or 'right' is totally subjective. I prefer SOMI in EGA mode with internal speaker, for example - not because it sounds best, but because that's how I remember it from when I was a kid. Sometimes it's just about nostalgia.

I did compare your file to Soundtrack Island's version and it's nice but far from the real thing. Some instruments just sound wrong. The scummVM emulator fed with CM32L/MT32 ROMs sounds better IMO - and that's the way I play it.

I did compare your file to Soundtrack Island's version and it's nice but far from the real thing. Some instruments just sound wrong. The scummVM emulator fed with CM32L/MT32 ROMs sounds better IMO - and that's the way I play it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to them!

I did a side by side comparison and, unless I've got my configuration wrong, the VSC sounds much closer to the original MT-32. For a start there's no echo on any of the instruments in ScummVM's emulation. Did I do something wrong?

To be honest I think what sounds best, or 'right' is totally subjective. I prefer SOMI in EGA mode with internal speaker, for example - not because it sounds best, but because that's how I remember it from when I was a kid. Sometimes it's just about nostalgia.

That's very true. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the VSC. It reminds me of the Amiga music I remember :) I guess it's down to taste.

I am now well on the way through orchestrating the music for MI2. It is prooving to be a difficult task as I have to seperate individual horn lines from a group then transpose each of them with sibelius then print off the new score ready for the musicians to use. I have done 8 tracks now and still plodding along.

Given that this is a thesis project, I am assuming you have clarified the legal issues - would be interested to hear what the situation is, in particular with respect to publication of the thesis.

Regarding the typesetting, have you looked into lilypond? It may be too late for that given how far you are through the project, but I find that lilypond produces beautiful output (for free). It's not the most user-friendly software, but has the advantage that it is extremely powerful and there is usually some way to get any particular features that aren't implemented as standard, and a very dedicated community that is usually happy to help people with requests posted on the lilypond-user list.

I have compared it. :raise: Why don't you do a direct comparison yourself from the links below?

Real MT-32: http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/monkey2.php

Roland VSC: http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/webpics/mi2.mp3 (several songs in one file)

I wouldn't say that the MT-32 was 100 times better. I'll try the Yamaha as you suggested, though.

The Roland Virtual Sound Canvas is not a virtual MT-32. It's a virtual Sound Canvas. And yes, the real Sound Canvas SC-88pro sounds miles better than VSC. It's not even a contest. The MT-32 is not a Sound Canvas. It's an older Roland synth with a unique way of synthesizing called "Linear Algorithm" allowing you to create your own sounds via System Exclusive MIDI messages sent to the MT-32. LucasArts games (and to a much greater degree Sierra games) heavily utilised this feature to create custom sounds that aren't in the factory set patch list on the MT-32. As opposed to just plain PCM samples that you cannot change on the later Sound Canvas synths. This is why no SoundFonts or Virtual Sound Canvas emulators or even virtual Yamaha emulators can ever reproduce a faithful rendition of any MT-32 game sountrack, unless the game in question used the factory preset patches on the MT-32. But so many games used custom sounds that no emulator will ever be able to reproduce (except for MUNT) because of the Linear Algorithm synthesis.

I was just saying that the Yamaha synth sounds a lot better than VSC and if you plan on using anything other than a real MT-32 or MUNT (the only way you'll have a prayer of hearing the games the way they were meant to be heard) you should use the Yamaha one because Roland's just plain sucks.

LucasArts games (and to a much greater degree Sierra games) heavily utilised this feature to create custom sounds that aren't in the factory set patch list on the MT-32. As opposed to just plain PCM samples that you cannot change on the later Sound Canvas synths. This is why no SoundFonts or Virtual Sound Canvas emulators or even virtual Yamaha emulators can ever reproduce a faithful rendition of any MT-32 game sountrack, unless the game in question used the factory preset patches on the MT-32. But so many games used custom sounds that no emulator will ever be able to reproduce (except for MUNT) because of the Linear Algorithm synthesis.

I suppose I should make one thing clear: I'm only interested in MI2. (I'm definitely not interested in any Sierra games.) I understand that you're saying that VSC can't handle any non-standard sounds, but I don't think MI2 relied too heavily on them - I may be wrong, so I'm just going to judge it based on what I hear.

I was just saying that the Yamaha synth sounds a lot better than VSC and if you plan on using anything other than a real MT-32 or MUNT (the only way you'll have a prayer of hearing the games the way they were meant to be heard) you should use the Yamaha one because Roland's just plain sucks.

I can't seem to get Yamaha to work for me (do I need the VSTi plugin?), but I can tell you that MUNT sounds *nothing* like the original MT-32. It sounds, for want of a better word, ****.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Just an update on this project. The recording has now started, I am currently recording the drums in a nice Pro tools HD suite. We have some very nice AKG 414 overheads with a series of shures beta drum mics e.g. Beta 52, 57, 56.

I have completed the drums for the main introduction, the campfire song, the chapter change music and Largos theme.

As pointed out with by some other member of this thred to do with legal issues with this. I have spoken with the head of my department about this and he assures me that there is nothing to worry about as this is not a research based project and will not be published there is no legal issues at all.

Ill keep you all updated as i continue to work.

P.S. Does anyone happen to know a good Marimba player somwhere in the south of the UK? Its a long shot but hey

Archived