Home

Samurai Jack The Movie

Demongo

While I didn't consider it great enough to be idolised, I did enjoy Samurai Jack a lot and it really did represent an age of great cartoons then. I thought it was really odd how there was so little dialogue sometimes and the cartoon just ran cinematically with little regard for the user, but I liked it, at least it was different.

I'm also relieved that the film will have traditional 2D animation. You really can't think Samurai Jack in any position other than 2D.

By the by, ages ago I blogged about something of an observation I'd made about Genndy Tartakovsky - he appears to be inspired by Frank Miller at times. The plot of Samurai Jack is exactly parallel to Frank Miller's Ronin. In Ronin, a Samurai's master is killed by a monster who appeared from the future. To exact revenge in the name of honour, the Samurai (now masterless, i.e. a Ronin) follows the monster into a cyberpunk world where he is confounded by modern technology and must find the monster and kill him. The twist is however, that the monster is actually a projection of a major corporate head using illegal ways to get ahead and is beset by problems IRL as well. Complex stuff like that.

Another reason I have to believe there's Miller in Tartakovsky's words is an episode of Samurai Jack set in a futuristic interpretation of the Battle of Thermopylae, where Leonidas and his 300 guard stand off against robots. One shot reminiscent of a Frank Miller frame (and the subsequent movie) shows the Spartans standing atop a cliff in rainfall, watching their enemies. Put a smile to my face.

I know, now we have stupid stuff like chowder and flapjack, or should I say crapjack? I never saw Samauri Jack, I mostly stuck with scooby doo. The ORIGINAL Scooby Doo.

You seriously don't know what you missed. You should watch some episodes at Megavideo if you really haven't seen any;)

Being a huge Samurai Jack fan, I'm very excited about this, at least for now.

I'm also relieved that the film will have traditional 2D animation. You really can't think Samurai Jack in any position other than 2D.
Agreed. At least it isn't a live action remake. SJ has a style all its own.

That is true True_Avery (no pun intended). Toonami was great. Especially the older one. The old show broadcasted all their good shows then just turned everything to crap.

Examples,

The Old and Good:

Samurai Jack

Medabots

One Piece

Naruto

Code Lyoko

BeyBlade

Battle B-Daman

Yu-Gi-Oh

Batman *Origional Cartoon, not the new THE Batman.

Teen Titans

The New and Bad:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Chowder

Super Hero Squad Show

The Batman

Krypto, the Superdog

This is awesome! Samurai Jack is by far my favorite cartoon, and IMO one of the top 10 action cartoons ever made (excluding anime).

I know, now we have stupid stuff like chowder and flapjack, or should I say crapjack? I never saw Samauri Jack, I mostly stuck with scooby doo. The ORIGINAL Scooby Doo.

If you really never have seen SJ, I'd suggest looking it up on youtube. You won't regret it.

SJ has a style all its own.

That is oh so very true. ;)

Samurai Jack was awesome. Thinking back reminds me of the good ol' days of Cartoon Network, along with the old Toonami.

Man that channel bombed incredibly fast incredibly quickly.

The old toonami was the best. God I wish they had made it's own channel!

That is true True_Avery (no pun intended). Toonami was great. Especially the older one. The old show broadcasted all their good shows then just turned everything to crap.

Examples,

The Old and Good:

Samurai Jack

Medabots

One Piece

Naruto

Code Lyoko

BeyBlade

Battle B-Daman

Yu-Gi-Oh

Batman *Origional Cartoon, not the new THE Batman.

Teen Titans

The New and Bad:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Chowder

Super Hero Squad Show

The Batman

Krypto, the Superdog

Hm, I agree with the 'new and bad' but not so much with the 'old and good.' I'd like to see more titles like IGPX and the Gundam shows, DBZ, Zoids, Batman: The Animated Series, Courage The Cowardly Dog, and the original Clone Wars.

This is awesome! Samurai Jack is by far my favorite cartoon, and IMO one of the top 10 action cartoons ever made (excluding anime).

If you really never have seen SJ, I'd suggest looking it up on youtube. You won't regret it.

That is oh so very true. ;)

The old toonami was the best. God I wish they had made it's own channel!

Hm, I agree with the 'new and bad' but not so much with the 'old and good.' I'd like to see more titles like IGPX and the Gundam shows, DBZ, Zoids, Batman: The Animated Series, Courage The Cowardly Dog, and the original Clone Wars.

My god, how could I forget those great shows. I almost never missed and episode of Zoids, it was my favorite show for a time.

Archived