Home

Portal 2

Revan 411

Source

Timely and intriguing automatic updates made available earlier this week for Valve's well-received first-person puzzler, Portal, generated buzz concerning the series. Valve today all but confirms that a sequel to Portal is indeed currently in development.

I look forward to playing this game. I really do.

I'll be interested to see what new elements Valve adds; co-op was mentioned, and I'm sure that will be quite a treat. I'd really like to see a more "practical" application of portals that isn't just restricted to a tutorial-based exercise of test room after test room, which was my largest complaint about the first game. An open-world, exploration/puzzle-based structure could be an enthralling concept, for example.

I'd really like to see a more "practical" application of portals that isn't just restricted to a tutorial-based exercise of test room after test room
The general consensus was that the portal gun would play a heavy role in HL2 Ep3, what with the premise apparently being that Gordon and Alyx would be heading to the Borealis. I would think though that the use of it would still be mostly puzzle-like in nature, but no doubt you could find some interesting uses for it in combat.

Who wants to lay bets that they'll kill the goose with this one?
Unfortunately, I'd say it's rather high. Either they'll strip it down to it's supine and linear a la HL2, or they'll make it as short as a blipvert like the "episodes". Not to mention, there is the instantaneous expansion pack sequel scenario. *shudders*

Well...it's something.

Though yeah, they'll milk it for all the $$$ they can.

Milking the cow, and squeezing water/blood from stones; I've Never heard it said as "kill the goose" before. I kinda like that expression. Could I borrow it? :D

Well, I'd rather they get it right as opposed to quickly. Since the Release of GMOD it's kinda hard to make something truly innovative unless you're adding to the functions and effects. People can be pretty darn innovative. HL2 ep 3 and HL3 are on the horizon, eventually.

At least it isn't Activision of late.

Good, good, good, but then... "co-op"?

Ok, I know a decent amount about the source engine and what Portal does single player is freaking staggering. Every time you open a portal, you are effectively creating a parallel map in which to walk through. Essentially, the gun makes multiple instances of the same map so it isn't you so much walking from one side of the room to the other, as you walking from one room to technically an entirely different room.

The initial problem with multi-player Portals when they started was, when the game was not crashing horribly, the players would just end up in different dimensions essentially. There was no way to stay in the "same" room because every time you go through a portal you're going into a parallel clone, not to mention that when the portal closes the "clone" dimension disappears and/or is constantly rewriting itself based on what you're doing.

Getting the Portals themselves to work is an amazing feat of game engineering. Getting it to work with two players will be fascinating.

Well, this is an interesting bit of news, another Portal...slightly surprising with the way they ended the first one, so the next installment should have a pretty good story. I'll definitely check this one out, as Valve never seems to fail at making a fantastic game :D

IGN posted an update citing the Gamestop listing for the game, which is as follows:

Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game.

I'm interested by the "dynamic new characters". I imagine this is essentially still a FPS, which would presumably make those characters NPCs. I wonder if they are robots or other AIs, seeing as, from what we know, all humans other than the Chell clones were purged by GLaDOS. The mention of test chambers would seem to confirm that gameplay is indeed a rehash of the first game, at least in part anyway.

kind of new article from IGN

*read article*

...wait, what?

A recent update to the first game made a subtle change to the ending that leads into the sequel. After the main character Chell was ejected from the Aperture lab where she was held captive, her unconscious body was dragged away by unseen antagonists. Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after this incident, with Chell mysteriously intact.

emphasis mine.

But the real question is this: If Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after Portal 1, then what year was Portal 1 set in?

Thats what I was thinking. I think Valve wanted everyone to believe Portal 1 was set during the events of HL 2, or at least HL 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Valve sent out a message to the press concerning Portal 2's planned unveiling at E3:

Dear Subject Name Here,

Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Valve to announce the gala CANCELLATION of the June 14 Portal 2 event at the Regal Theater. The event will be replaced by a surprise. And even though the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise, we are pleased to further announce that the cancellation of the event is not THE surprise. However, per International treaties regarding the definition of the word "surprise", of which both Aperture Science and Valve are signatories, the time, date and content of the actual surprise will only become available as you experience the surprise.

If you'd like to ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise or, more fruitfully, schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's Special Envoy to Surprises, Doug Lombardi.

Thank you for [[RECORD SCRATCH!!!]]

PS: The surprising record scratch is also not the surprise.

They are still showing it at their booth, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe it's just a joke? Maybe they couldn't get whatever they were going to show ready in time? Maybe we'll get Episode 3 instead?

A brilliant theory I heard out of some commentor on the interwebs is that Valve will reveal what Portal 2 is Episode Three.

But knowing Valve, they won't be announcing HL2:E3 this E3 because it would hardly be a surprise. :/

New franchise, maybe?

Yeah Ep3 is a long shot I would think, seeing that just a few months ago Gabe Newell said they didn't even have a plot idea yet. A new franchise is a possibility I guess, or it could be another sequel (god I hope not L4D3). Maybe Counter-Strike 2? Wouldn't be surprising given the success of TF2 and the fact that people still religiously play CS (apparently).

Wouldn't be surprising given the success of TF2 and the fact that people still religiously play CS (apparently).

Thing is, I really don't see where they can go with a CS sequel apart from a TF2-style comedic theme. The CoD games already have the CS gametype and competing with them is an uphill task, not to mention competing with the older CS games. Valve would be better off with a sequel to a recent property like Team Fortress 3 or something.

June 9, 2010: Valve announced today it is delaying Portal 2 into 2011.

The game was originally scheduled to ship this coming holiday on Mac, PC and Xbox 360.

No reason for the delay was given, but a note from the series' in-game research company Aperture Science noted that "even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time."

Valve recently announced it canceled its E3 event for Portal 2 that was supposed to take place next week. The company said it has a surprised planned for the night instead, and has clarified it is related to Portal 2, not the heavily rumored Half-Life 2: Episode Three.

Hardly surprising given the cancellation of the original E3 event. If the "surprise" they promised in return is still about Portal 2 and not a new game then I wonder what it is? Full size GLaDOS replica perhaps?

Nice Ghostbusters reference in the press release.

Archived