Home

"Are violent videogames corrupting our children?" (You know this is going to be good)

Jeff

Originally Posted by JediAthos

See, video games don't incite violence...stupid people do

i couldnt have said it better

Originally Posted by Astrotoy7

Hopefully, kids of today are receiving a more complete education - but in the US specifically - when we find out that a lot of what kids are taught are dictated to by which textbooks Texas wants to buy, then you have to wonder. Things aren't like that in the UK/Oz thankfully.

****. we dont learn anything in public school here in the States. the only thing ive truly learned is stuff in world history. but my history teacher isnt one of those people that teach just cuz it pays. he teaches because he actually wants to. and he made it interesting. i once told him he should play Jeopardy. he said "It's too easy." that shows how intelligent the man is.

Doc, why'd you set the DeLorean to 1938 ? [/McFly]

I'm pretty sure this discussion is not about sterilisation legislation, nor Eugenics. Save that hooey for Kavars.

Me a eugenicist? All I was saying is VG eroticism obsession (bad as it is) might be a viable alternative where you have people who oughtn't reproduce. :dev9:

One thing that can be said with some confidence is that parents of kids today face many new challenges. Its not just the type of media kids are exposed to, but the sheer amount, which is unprecedented. Hence predicting the psycho-sociological effects of certain media based on past models is never going to reveal valid answers.

While agreed there (we are in an exponentially growing experimental phase), I'd also have to say it's beginning to peter off considering how many games are coming out lately that aren't worth buying or playing. It would make sense to "put on the brakes" as a solution. The problem here is that each successive generation is more technologically sophisticated than the last. So we either have to find a way to stay ahead of our kids on a technological curve, or simply as a whole halt the progression of technology. The latter of which isn't even remotely likely to happen unless the world economy hits a depression crash.

More research is needed to ferret things out. Until then, the ratings systems and parents common sense must prevail (if the latter exists in any given situation). I have to admit, I had almost zero interference by my parents over what I watched, played or listened to, as long as I didn't play it too loud! I don't have kids of my own but if I did would go the 'parental advisory' route rather than just ban them from it. If they're anything like me, they'd find a way to play it if I did get all fascist about it. Sneaky non-existent buggers :p

mtfbwya

And there we have a great deal of assistance by technology if we are willing to actually get involved and use common sense. There is a difference between "getting all fascistic about it" and discretionary allowance. You seem to know that quite well so I wouldn't worry about too much it if I was you, homes.

Well said. You'll find ignorance is at the root of all evil. Plato said as much, over 2 millenia ago, yet some people still havent cottoned on :(

It's not necessarily an ignorance problem. It's a lack of understanding of good parenting, or lack of access to good parenting/child care.

I took college courses in child/family development and child psychology, and I still didn't catch my son's problem until he was pretending to be a superhero at day care and whacking on the kids. It was play, but it still hurt just the same. Once the daycare let me know what was going on, and we figured out the source, I took care of it. However, when you have a single-parent home where the parent is working 2 jobs and the kids are alone a lot, or very hands-off parents like yours, Astro, or abusive parents, or parents who just had kids but didn't want the responsibility, it can become problematic.

We had a neighbor kid whose parents didn't want their kids getting in the way of their partying lifestyle. Mom worked long hours at her job, the step-dad worked, but whenever he was home they drank. Sometimes you could hear them screaming at each other all the way across the street. Her boy ran around the neighborhood at all hours of the day, watched violent slasher movies (which made him a PIA when playing with my kids), and told my younger daughter all about sex because of what he learned from step-dad playing God-knows-what on TV and letting the kid watch. The kid is unfortunately on his way to trouble at a young age.

Poo-pooing the idea that violent video games have a bad effect on very young children isn't the route to go. We know from plenty of studies that young children viewing violence are indeed affected. Some kids will be able to play violent games and never be bothered. Some won't be able to see any violence without being affected. That's where parental responsibility comes into play. There is an average age range where we know that most kids will not be affected, and that's what the ratings system is supposedly built upon. However, teaching parents to take responsibility for what their kids see and play and the signs to watch for to know if it's too violent for their own kids, in addition to taking steps to make sure violent games aren't sold to kids before they meet the ratings threshold, is the route to go.

As for sexism--yes, it's there. Devs think that all boys (because girls don't play video games, apparently) want to see half-naked females with boobs bursting at the seams. Let's face it, most of us gals don't have a bra size in the triple-Z range. I would also like to point out that in Real Life, armor class did not increase on females as the amount of armor decreases, and we do not store our spell power, mana, and hit points in our breasts.

I'm not completely above sexism, but I am against unnaturally large breasts. I mean, like you said Jae, why would your armor rating INCREASE as your actual amount of armor decreases?

I mean, if that were the case, one could only assume running around naked would make you invincible. lol

But, in the meantime...

I have a hard time calling it sexism and prefer to call it, well, lazy and immature since, as Jeff pointed out, men get the overly muscular treatment all the time. Its fantasy and devs have the ability to make "perfect" people, but that can also be said about many movies, comics, games, etc as well. It sells and doesn't seem to bother gamers so... not much reason to change it.

This is true. I mean, I'm a guy and it doesn't bother me as long as said female character is proportionally accurate, and reasonably dressed. I'm all for attractive females in games, but I'm against flat out sluts :mad:... but I think that goes for most people anyways: in games or in real life.

.. or very hands-off parents like yours, Astro,

now there's a sentence I'd never thought I'd see!! My parents had no concept of the influence of something they perceived as a luxury or entertainment such as TV/games etc. In most other respects, they were very hands on - even until I left at age 24

*rubs spots where bruises used to be*

It's not necessarily an ignorance problem. It's a lack of understanding of good parenting...

That's exactly what being ignorant denotes. Those who identify that they do not have a full understanding of an issue and try to seek the information or expertise quickly cease being ignorant on that topic

It's the one who do not realise they could learn more, or do not act on it that we have to worry about :(

In the case of the persons involved in the show above, their knowledge of video gaming culture and its effects on developmental psychology is obviously so poor, they instead fill the gaps with assumptions, biases or knowledge they have not bothered updating since they trained in the 50s-60s.

mtfbwya

I would also like to point out that in Real Life, armor class did not increase on females as the amount of armor decreases, and we do not store our spell power, mana, and hit points in our breasts.

I'd like to point out that in Real Life, females do not have armour class, spells, mana or hit points (the last one is debatable, but only part of it would exist in breasts - the rest would be in... erogenous zones eheheheheheheheheheh).

Also your point on not having the understanding for being a good parent is moot. I'm sure the 'ignorance' argument was not about these parents, but about the fine debate-hardened folks on that British TV show. They were clearly quite concerned regarding the effect of violence on kids, exceedingly convinced of it, in fact; but they were ignorant, either naturally or deliberately because even though Tim emphasized the existence of parental controls in video game consoles and age restriction in stores, they chose never to address that point and pretend as if said parental controls or ratings never exist.

Yeah that is what is so frustrating about that video, not only were they completely ignorant about video games in today's society, they were completely close-minded and not willing to listen to anything he had to say. I think the woman was the worst but the old dude was also clearly uneducated about games just from hearing him say "war game videos".

Lord of the Rings Online and Star Trek Online are a few of the games I know that _don't_ create characters that battle with the uber-armor of a loin cloth and 2 clam shells tied together.

Well, that's reason enough to never play 'em. :D Seriously, though, parents can't watch their kids 24-7 and kids do see things that aren't age appropriate b/c they're as curious as adults. Even "good" kids defy their parents and hide things or view things they know they've been told not to. Still, it's hard to take seriously people who argue about that that aren't at least familiar with what's out there beyond, perhaps, second or third hand knowledge.

I would also like to point out that in Real Life, armor class did not increase on females as the amount of armor decreases, and we do not store our spell power, mana, and hit points in our breasts.

And with one sentence, Jae crushes the hearts, dreams & very souls of millions of basement dwelling men (and their libidos). THAT is the power she wields friends. Don't cross her. :dev8:

I have a hard time calling it sexism and prefer to call it, well, lazy and immature since, as Jeff pointed out, men get the overly muscular treatment all the time.

What? you mean all of you guys don't grate cheese with your six pack abs? :xp:

Yeah that is what is so frustrating about that video, not only were they completely ignorant about video games in today's society, they were completely close-minded and not willing to listen to anything he had to say. I think the woman was the worst but the old dude was also clearly uneducated about games just from hearing him say "war game videos".

I'll not repeat too much since Jeff's post here pretty much sums up my opinion. However, Tim Ingham has my utmost respect. To bear that brunt and still come out civil and well-spoken. Cheers to you friend. :golfclap:

-----

EDIT: (noticed this post as I was crafting mine ;) )

Also, here's an article where Tim Ingham gives his thoughts on his appearance on the show.
Nice read!

"I was all too aware of the exigencies of - let's be honest - right-leaning daytime TV," he says. "I knew my argument would have been weakened by any hint of skirmish. I needed to remain patient and relaxed throughout - affable, even - to avoid falling from 'put upon' into 'pariah'.
Damn, Tim done it again. Utter class act. Here's another one good man :golfclap:

brb going to murder some old ladies and eat babies in GTA: Modern Warfare 2 - Killzone Armageddon

hehe, don't you mean that upcoming MMO The First Crusade from Urban-Alexius Studios? :thmbup1:

Only available in God fearin' nations. Thats this God, not that Allah fellah ;)

Also, here's an article where Tim Ingham gives his thoughts on his appearance on the show.

great link Jeff. I think Tim outlines very well how persons simply incapable of having a reasoned argument descend to one based on confrontation and emotion instead.

mtfbwya

Archived