Home

Man loses license after driving drunk in a Barbie car

Man loses licence after drink-driving in toy Barbie car

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7606600/Man-loses-licence-after-drink-driving-in-toy-Barbie-car.html

Chairman of the bench Neil Munson said: "This is most unusual. I have never seen the like of it in 15 years on the bench. The vehicle is not even capable of doing the speed of a mobility scooter and could be outrun by a pedestrian."

:ugh:

I guess technically it is a vehicle, but then again so is a bike...
And in some places in the world (including parts of the USA) you can get a DUI for riding a bicycle under the influence.

The strangest DUI I’ve seen was my uncle getting too drunk to drive at a bar. He was parked on the shoulder of a country road so he walked out of the bar and got into the back seat of the car. In the middle of the night he got cold so he put the keys into the ignition and started the car until it warmed up and then he turned off the car and passed back out. Only he did not remove the keys from the ignition. A few hours later he was woken up when someone hit his legally parked vehicle totaling out both vehicles. In Texas the intoxicated person is always at fault and since his keys were in the ignition not only was he at fault in the accident, but he received a DUI.

Also don’t forget country singer George Jones received a DUI while driving his lawn mower to get more booze.

Yeah, but what of a first time offender (which is what I was asking)? I agree w/you, though, that zero-tolerance policies often lead to some unreasonable judgements. Perhaps he'd have gotten a year's suspension as his original sentence (not his conditional suspension).

And in some places in the world (including parts of the USA) you can get a DUI for riding a bicycle under the influence.

I still think it's a tad excessive. But that's U.K. laws so I don't have much more to say other than if it were my laws I'd be opposed to that level of punishment. Also I'm not much a drinker.

The strangest DUI I’ve seen was my uncle getting too drunk to drive at a bar. He was parked on the shoulder of a country road so he walked out of the bar and got into the back seat of the car. In the middle of the night he got cold so he put the keys into the ignition and started the car until it warmed up and then he turned off the car and passed back out. Only he did not remove the keys from the ignition. A few hours later he was woken up when someone hit his legally parked vehicle totaling out both vehicles. In Texas the intoxicated person is always at fault and since his keys were in the ignition not only was he at fault in the accident, but he received a DUI.

Also don’t forget country singer George Jones received a DUI while driving his lawn mower to get more booze.

Hmm. Well, that's a motorized vehicle capable of causing serious damage to property and serious injury and/or death. THAT is where I draw the line. (Or maybe it's just CA :rolleyes:)

A bicycle, not so much (possibly if you get going fast enough which would require being able to ride it half competently).

An over-sized electric toy? Come on, really? A toy car essentially is no more capable of causing serious damages, severe injury, or death than walking would.

A drunk in public charge would still fit the bill quite nicely.

Also I imagine weather in TX is nowhere near hypothermia-inducing most of the time. A little known fact: an AC/DC band member did the same as your uncle save the keys in the ignition part. It was (wherever the location) out in -20 deg. F cold and the guy got in his car after major boozing and fell asleep. He died of hypothermia. And that is whom and what Ozzy refers to in "Suicide Solution". Not that I'd wager any Texan holds all that much love for Ozzy after what he did at the alimo so many years ago.

Hmm. Well, that's a motorized vehicle capable of causing serious damage to property and serious injury and/or death. THAT is where I draw the line. (Or maybe it's just CA :rolleyes:)

A bicycle, not so much (possibly if you get going fast enough which would require being able to ride it half competently).

An over-sized electric toy? Come on, really? A toy car essentially is no more capable of causing serious damages, severe injury, or death than walking would.

A drunk in public charge would still fit the bill quite nicely.

I had someone close to me murdered by a drunk driver so I’m by no means unbiased or even rational about the subject matter.

However, it is not only the damage caused by the Barbie car, bicycle or lawnmower that you have to worry about. It is also the damage caused by other drivers swerving to avoid the drunk on the bicycle, lawnmower or Barbie car on a public roadway. If a drunk is off public roadways, then I see no reason for a citation beyond possibly public intoxication. That said, once they are on a public roadway operating a mode of transpiration then I see no reason not to give them a DUI.

Archived