Home

The Redemption of Yuthura Ban

Finally! :rolleyes:

The Redemption of Yuthura Ban -

A Recruitable Companion Mod for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Download it @ Filefront here. Thanks to Darth InSidious for the very nice review!

Edit:

Version 1.1 is available at Filefront. No drastic changes, just a few modifications to some of the robe skins and the addition of a Yuthura skin for Seprithro's Jedi Battle Armour. Note: The download link for the armour mod itself can be found at the end of this post. Highly recommended.

---------------------------------------

I started this mod three years ago after seeing T7nowhere's Yuthura sabers, and it's been pretty much done for all of that time. I just couldn't be bothered tackling stoffe's TSLPatcher for the first time (yeah, I'm lazy :D).

About a month ago, I decided to polish it up and get it out the door. I went through a few more play-throughs just to make sure it was bug-free, and centenar was nice enough to playtest it for me. Thanks to him, a few more glitches and oversights were fixed.

Thanks again to T7nowhere for allowing his amazing saber models to be included. The originals can be found in his Weapons of the Old Republic mod, which is highly recommended.

New items included:

Yuthura's Resilience (Jedi lightsaber, violet blade)

Yuthura's Redemption (Former Sith lightsaber, reset with a green crystal)

Yuthura's Redemption Robes (uniquely skinned and upgradeable robes)

Yuthura's Gift (uniquely skinned robes for the PC. Also included is an alternate skin for use with PRIME and Xavier2's KOTOR Jedi Robe Model.)

Screenshots:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
YuthuraBanner2.jpg

Show spoiler
YuthuraBanner3.jpg

Show spoiler
YuthurasGift-1.jpg

Readme:

Show spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Redemption of Yuthura Ban -

A Recruitable Companion Mod for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Release: May 06 2010

By jimbo32

(I can be contacted via Private Message at Lucasforums - http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=321 )

About the Mod:

This is a recruitable companion mod for KotOR 1. It will allow you to replace Juhani with former Sith apprentice Yuthura Ban. When recruited, Yuthura will join with her own custom sabers (courtesy of T7Nowhere), and a custom skinned Jedi Robe. Unfortunately, my modding skills (and/or energy and devotion) aren't up to the task of creating custom dialogue or quests, but I think I've eliminated most of the annoyances that go hand-in-hand with "quicky" recruit mods.

I was inspired to make a recruit mod for Yuthura after T7Nowhere released his amazing "Weapons of the Old Republic" (WotOR) mod. He made two incredible saber models for her, and while it was cool to use them, it seemed to me that they'd look much better in her hands rather than my PC's.

Since I always play as a LS Jedi (and turn her from the DS), I started with a LS re-skin - which I think looks decent despite my dodgy skinning skills. Since she isn't a required part of the story, I replaced Juhani. The whole transition is fairly seemless (I think), since I used scripts to remove Juhani and replace her with Yuthura. Juhani's journal entries will be removed, and she'll return to the Academy courtyard. All instances where Juhani has dialogue will also be removed. In addition, it's possible for Yuthura to perform the rescue on the Leviathan, where her skills and behavior will match Juhani's. I've added a stealth belt in Yuthura's "hide" slot, so she can use Force Camouflage for the rescue. The only glitch I was unable to get rid of is Carth referring to Juhani following the rescue, but I think that's a relatively small annoyance. Yuthura will also join you at the the temple on the Unknown World, and all instances where Juhani would've had dialogue there have been removed.

Note that T7's saber models are exactly the same as those included with WotOR. The only difference is in the alternate skin that I made for her Sith saber (the pommel stone is now green rather than red). The Sith saber also now has a green blade. Everything is fully compatible with the sabers included in WotOR - her new sabers are completely different items.

Installation:

For most users, simply running the Install .exe will suffice. This will copy all the neccessary files to your KotOR override directory and (if neccessary) modify any required *.2da files that are already in the folder.

For a manual install, it gets a bit more tricky. If you have no other mods installed, you should be able to just paste everything into override - with the exception of the dialogue files. However, if you're using any mods which use the same *.2da files as this one, you'll need to do some manual editing with KototTool (or another 2da editor). There are entries in some of the 2da's which reference row numbers in one or more other 2da files (if that makes any sense). While stoffe's TSLPatcher exe will update these entries dynamically depending on your other installed mods, you'll need to do it yourself.

As with the 2da files, there are several dialogue files (*.dlg) which are dynamically modified by the patcher while remaining in their module files (*.rim). Due to BioWare's re-use of filenames, this was neccessary to prevent conflicts within the mod itself (a few required scripts and dialogues had identical names).

For assistance with 2da editing and merging, please visit Holowan Labs at Lucasforums - ( http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324)

Possible Mod Conflicts:

Any recruit mods which replace Juhani will definitely not be compatible.

It's likely that any mods which contain changes to Yuthura will be in conflict with this one. I did, however, ensure that there are no issues with T7's WotOR.

It's also possible that there are other mods which use the same scripts and dialogue files, although I haven't found any. My override is fairly cluttered with stuff, and I haven't had any trouble. Please let me know if you find any conflicts, and I'll see what I can do to fix them.

Notes:

- Although it isn't neccessary to start a new game to get the full benefits of this mod, you should install it before visiting Korriban. In addition, Korriban must be the second or third star map acquired (including map number one on Dantooine). Otherwise, it won't be possbile to meet her on Dantooine.

- Yuthura can only be recruited by Light-side PC's who have successfully "turned" her following the fight with Master Uthar.

- T7Nowhere for allowing his amazing sabers to be included in the mod. His Weapons of the Old Republic (WotOR) mod is highly recommended.

You can find it here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=173733 (Lucasforums thread)

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Weapons_of_the_Old_Republic;74001 (Filefront download)

- centenar for playtesting

- stoffe, Darth333, RedHawke, SithRevan, Inyri, and Pavlos for their help while I was fumbling around with scripting.

- T7Nowhere, stoffe, Mav, Prime, svosh, ChAiNz, Achilles, Darth333, RedHawke, oldflash, and Grif Vindh for their outstanding mods which are fixtures in my override.

- tk102, Fred Tetra, cchargin, and stoffe for their excellent tools which make KotOR modding possible.

Apologies:

To all of the patient folks at Lucasforums who've been waiting three years (!) for me to finish the mod.

PERMISSIONS: This mod may not be used without the explicit permission of the author. This mod may not be distributed on other sites without the express permission of the author.

THIS MODIFICATION IS PROVIDED AS-IS AND IS NOT SUPPORTED BY BIOWARE/OBSIDION ENTERTAINMENT OR LUCASARTS OR ANY LICENSERS/SPONSORS OF THE MENTIONED COMPANIES. USE OF THIS FILE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THE ABOVE MENTIONED COMPANIES OR THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE USAGE OF THIS FILE.

Edit 12May2011:

New version (1.1) of the mod pending at Filefront. I added the updated skin for "Yuthura's Gift" as well as the Yuthura skin for "Seprithro's Jedi Battle Armor". I'll update the links above whenever the upload goes through.

Screenies:

Minor changes to "Yuthura's Gift". I wasn't particularly happy with the colour depth on the original, and I also changed the metal buckles to gold with a bit of an alpha channel.

Show spoiler
YuthurasGift2.jpg

Seprithro's Jedi Battle Armor is one of his first mods, and can be hard to find. It's well worth the download though. Find it here.

For those who haven't seen it, here's a screenshot from starwarsknights.com:

Clicky!

• 4 months later...

Hey Jimbo... far be it from a moron like me to question you but if you made the recruitment mod so that it's set before the redemption conversations, and then you made that her in-party chat and the ability to turn her either good or evil is the end of her 'quest' I dunno would that be possible? It might give her the same feeling the other party members have.

Well, here's the thing (I'm fairly sure everyone reading this has played through the game, but you never know ;)):

Show spoiler
In order to find her on Dantooine, you have to have taken all the LS choices on Korriban. Otherwise, she'd be dead. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to be able to turn her back to the DS after her master and the council had welcomed her back.

Not to mention the fact that it would completely hose the "redemption" part in the title of the mod. ;)

Essentially, making her LS-only was a choice that I felt was in keeping with the existing game content.

Show spoiler
What *could* be an option for DS players is to add dialogue to recruit her on Korriban after killing Uthar.
If it were done like that, she'd retain her DS appearance, and she'd come with her original T7 sabers rather than the reskinned green one. Maybe I'll add that option if and when I update the mod.

Well, here's the thing (I'm fairly sure everyone reading this has played through the game, but you never know ;)):

Show spoiler
In order to find her on Dantooine, you have to have taken all the LS choices on Korriban. Otherwise, she'd be dead. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to be able to turn her back to the DS after her master and the council had welcomed her back.

Not to mention the fact that it would completely hose the "redemption" part in the title of the mod. ;)

Essentially, making her LS-only was a choice that I felt was in keeping with the existing game content.

Show spoiler
What *could* be an option for DS players is to add dialogue to recruit her on Korriban after killing Uthar.
If it were done like that, she'd retain her DS appearance, and she'd come with her original T7 sabers rather than the reskinned green one. Maybe I'll add that option if and when I update the mod.

if you'd do that, i'd totally install this mod :) Is it compatible with the yavin mod?

• 5 months later...

there must be a ds version of that mod, pleeeaaase! :)

or at least, maybe you can teach us how to do it? :}

oooor.... is there some cheat way to get her as companion?

i've played all korriban thru and at the end i've realised that i can't get her :(

that's just killing me, man :S btw i use yuthura to talon reskin, as the "dark" yuthura appearance, soooo... i guess it'll be awesome to have some "corruption of yuthura" :) you can tell her that nowadays sith's are lame and malak is weak so you should remove this pathetic "sith threat", and yuthura can be part of the new order, on the side of true strenght :)

i'm not some kickass moder but i can help you as much as possible, or someone can guide me and i'll try to do it all alone.

so?

i guess i'll try to merge this one with "yuthura to darth talon conversion". at first for personal use (cause i'm reeeeeeeeaaaly doubt i can make this to final stage), but if everything goes well, i'll be asking for permissions.

EVERYONE WHO ARE SURE IN HIS OR HER SKILLS AND INTERESTED, are welcome to do it before me! i'm kinda noob at that, all i did is some simple reskins.

I downloaded this mod recently and i think it is great other than there are some errors i have found. One of them is when she talks at certain times there is no voice. Also when you beat the game, sometimes it will turn her into wearing the Star Forge Robes. But shes better than juhani for sure. I especially like her lightsabers. I was wondering if a romance was included for her at all. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

@Latios6222:

Yeah, if she's speaking what are normally Juhani's lines, there won't be any VO. It's not a bug or an error - I chose not to add new voiceover for a few reasons:

1.) I don't know the voice actress personally

2.) I'm male, and couldn't be arsed trying to find a female who's a decent actress and willing to work on a mod for an 8 year-old game for free.

3.) Using a different voice would be (imo) a little jarring.

As far as the robe thing goes, I've never seen that before. I assume you mean in the cutscene at the temple?

@Shaggoth:

I haven't touched KotOR since finishing the mod, so it's unlikely that I'll revisit it just to add a DS recruit option. To be honest, I was on the fence about it anyway - the whole point is "redemption", not just "Yuthura replaces Juhani".

In order to add the option yourself, it would mostly be some minor scripting work, and maybe some DS reskinning if you were so inclined. A few changes to the post-fight dialogue ("Join me and we will overthrow Malak and rule the Galaxy together" or something equally Lucasian), and you're all set. All you'd need to do is add your recruit script to the end of that branch of the conversation.

As far as permissions go, I'd be ok with it if your mod was implemented as an add-on with a seamless install via TSLPatcher. As for bundling the whole thing together, I'd have to say no. What you're proposing is a fairly minor addition considering all the work that went into the original. Sorry.

If you wanted to do an add-on, you'd probably need to talk to T7nowhere about including his original Yuthura DS saber, since the green re-skin that I did wouldn't be appropriate for DS Yuthura. (I *think* he may have made his mods "public domain" (so to speak), but I'm not entirely sure.)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. Everything you need is here - tutorials and tools. What I'd do is start a new playthrough with "Redemption" installed and save a few times right before the fight with Uthar. Use the mod manager to quickly enable/disable your mod during testing.

• 4 months later...

i cant get this mod to work i even deleted all my others to make sure nothing would be wrong. i put the mod in right when i got to korriban before i talked to yuthura but no matter how many times i do the light side she never comes with me. does the mod need to be put in before i get to korriban or before i talk to yuthura? :confused:

never mind about that last question i just did it over from the start with it in but it still doesn't work.

if thats true what about the part that says

About the Mod:

This is a recruitable companion mod for KotOR 1. It will allow you to replace Juhani with former Sith apprentice Yuthura Ban.

Hehe... Will teach me for not reading which thread I was posting in... Was on auto-pilot... My apologies.

To the folks that have played this mod: Does Yuthura Ban at least speak her new lines using the female Twi'leki (or Rylothean or Ryl, if you prefer) voice lines in the standard game? At least there would something to listen to - even if it isn't the original voice actress. (One would assume that Yuthura would be able to speak Twi'leki . . . )

@kirk1994: She doesn't come with you immediately after the fight on Korriban. You need to go back to Dantooine afterwards and speak with her there. As jonathan said, she's in the courtyard.

@Sith Holocron: No, other than a few lines that already had existing VO, she remains silent. It would've been easy enough to have her speaking Twi'leki, but I thought it'd be somewhat lame.

By the way, not sure what's going on at Filefront, but the new version of the mod which I uploaded in May never got posted.

@Sith Holocron: No, other than a few lines that already had existing VO, she remains silent. It would've been easy enough to have her speaking Twi'leki, but I thought it'd be somewhat lame.

If others agreed with me, would you reconsider?

By the way, not sure what's going on at Filefront, but the new version of the mod which I uploaded in May never got posted.

Might I suggest Deadly Stream for your uploading needs?

• 4 years later...

Archived