Though they are Masters of the Grave,

Not every Reaver's evil's slave.

The time has come when all are needed.

For their lives the just have pleaded.

Will heroes answer war's dark call,

Or will unreason conquer all?

REAVERS FAQ

Q: What is a Reaver?

A: A Reaver is someone, a mortal being, who draws upon a living source of energy for strength and power. As is clarified in the poem, not all Reavers are evil. There are three types: Bloodreavers (hematophages/mortal vampires), Soulreavers (mortal psionic vampires who draw upon others' life energy), and Arcane Reavers (who draw upon the elemental power of the universe, considered the most dangerous of all because they can't replenish it.)

Q: Do the Reavers' powers make them godlike or like superheroes?

A: Godlike? Certainly not. Heroic? Most certainly. However, a Reaver only reaches "superhero" status if s/he draws a TREMENDOUS amount of energy into his or her body and mind. Otherwise, s/he has superhuman strength and power, but at the cost of needing to draw. For Reavers, drawing is not an option that they can take or leave. They depend upon the source of their energy for their survival as well as their power. Without it, they would die.

Q: Are Reavers immortal? Can they be made immortal by their powers?

A: No and no. That's the difference between them and traditional vampires.

Q: Is someone born a Reaver?

A: No. Reavers either choose to become so in exchange for great power, or they have almost lost their lives and draw upon their source of energy so that they will continue to survive. That's why they're being hunted.

Q: Who are the enemies of the Reavers?

A: Mainly the fanatical villains of the piece, to be named later. Everyone fears them, however, and a VERY FEW pure-hearted Reavers have gained the respect of the common people in the land as well as kings and nobles. All priests hate them, however, believing them to be possessed by evil spirits.

Q: Can a Reaver be "cured"?

A: Only if s/he goes through a long and torturous priest-initiated ritual.

Q: What is this story's setting?

A: Fantasy/futuristic fantasy a la Dragon Age and WoW: Cataclysm.

Could you explain the Reavers a whee bit more Tysy? More specifically the three types.

Oh, and can there be more than those three? - i.e. Can someone make one up, so long as they follow a set of guidelines which I would also like explained (what are the guidelines to being a Reaver, etc.?)

Seems interesting Tysy, and I might just join, but I need those questions answered first, and a story and character example to go off of before I make any commitment.

More about the Reavers:

Bloodreavers are, like I said, mortal vampires (more scientifically known as hematophages). They do have fangs and drink blood. The main power a Bloodreaver gets is physical--extra strength, stamina, dexterity, etc. They also do not get tired as easily as ordinary humans do, because their blood has been re-oxygenated by the blood that they have most recently drawn. Most people are frightened by Bloodreavers, but as long as they don't witness one drawing blood, they are unlikely to kill that Reaver on sight.

Soulreavers, rather than drawing upon the physical/fleshly powers of someone or something else, are more attuned to the psychic energies of living things. When a Soulreaver draws power, s/he becomes more intelligent, wise, and cunning. Sometimes a Soulreaver can tell what another person is thinking if s/he draws upon that person's energy. They are the Reavers who have the easiest time "passing" as normal because the "drawn" person only appears slightly tired and lethargic during and after the transfer of power.

Arcane Reavers draw upon the elemental power of the universe to fuel their power and keep themselves alive. Most specialize in one particular element: air, earth, fire, or water. The more they specialize in an element, the more resistant they become to it. It is impossible to specialize completely in two opposite elements, such as fire and water or earth and air. The most talented are the ones who specialize in two complementary elements, such as fire and air. When these Reavers draw power, they cannot replenish it, and so some of the innate energy of the universe is lost when they "draw". These Reavers can also cast spells related to their particular element(s).

Sample character: Mindra Charis, human, Bloodreaver who is like SALT (in the movie)

Yes, you can make one up with different powers.

QUALIFICATIONS FOR BEING A REAVER

The power must somehow be related to nature and the physical/natural world. Priests draw their power from their deity figure, and that's why they despise Reavers.

Each Reaver has a unique backstory detailing how and why they became a Reaver.

To answer your question, Alkonium, yes, anyone may play as a non-Reaver. In fact, Reavers are highly uncommon in my fantasy setting--about 1 in 100.

As for a plot--*sheepish grin* I humbly admit that I thought up the concept of a "Reaver" character before I thought of any plotline involving them. In retrospect, this may not have been the best of moves, but sometimes you can't control WHEN you think of certain ideas--simply that they COME to you, and that's that. So, seeing as I'm at a loss for a plot, I'll go with the simplest one: Reavers haven't been around for too long. They're "new on the scene," as are their powers, and they're trying to find out how and why they need to draw upon their sources of energy. Basically, they're trying to find an entity known as the "Prime Reaver", the very first one that ever existed.

They believe that the Prime Reaver can give them answers, even though most people say that Reavers--and their progenitor--are a fearsome myth. The Reavers themselves know better, and several of them go on a quest--a pilgrimage of sorts. Analogies in real life would be faithful Catholics going to see the Pope, a Muslim's journey to Mecca, or a seeker's search for God via reading and participating in many different aspects of faith and spirituality.

The thing is, though, that none of the Reaver characters know if the Prime Reaver really does exist, and in the meantime, the priests of the realm are trying to capture and/or kill them a la the witch hunts of medieval Europe. The priests worship one deity figure only, whom they call the Arbiter. They see their god not primarily as a creator or life-giver, or even as a father or mother. They view the Arbiter as a strict judge of mortals and their behavior. Once upon a time, the priests say, mortals never broke the moral law and always behaved fairly toward one another, but then they transgressed. Now they must pay, with their fear and worship if not with their very lives.

The Reavers, say the priests, are a sign of the end of the world. In their holy book, there is a prophecy that states, "In the last days, mortal men will assume the powers of gods, and will seek to usurp the Arbiter and his throne." That is why the Reavers are so feared and hated among the populace at large, because how would you feel if one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse was alive and at your door a'knocking? :D So, in flight for their lives and in search of the truth behind their new powers and state of existence, the Reavers seek out the one being who might be able to help...To this end, even several brave non-Reavers have come to their aid.

If this sounds interesting, please join! If not...what are your ideas? :)

Sincerely,

Tysyacha

NAME: Tegan Diral

RACE: Dark Elf

APPEARANCE:

pm_09___female_drow_by_araiel-d34x0ay.jpg

EQUIPMENT: Silenced 9mm Semi-automatic handgun, compacted Sniper Rifle, Butterfly Knife, an assortment of poisons and explosives. However, she very rarely carries it all at once.

BACKSTORY: A Freelance Assassin by trade, Tegan would gladly fire upon a Reaver or a Priest, if she was paid to. She considers herself neutral in their conflict, seeing the Reavers as dangerous and unpredictable, and the Priests as being no better, if not worse than an overzealous cult. She does favour the Reavers more, but not currently enough to actually help them.

Despite her profession, she does abide by her own personal moral code. When on a job, she goes out of her way to only kill her target, and will outright reject jobs she disagrees with, or even come to her target's aid as she learns more about the job.

If persuaded, she could prove to be a valuable ally to either side.

For those of us who have not played either game you mentioned, would you kindly explain the setting in greater detail?

To be honest, based on your use of the word "futuristic" and your example character, I don't ever think Dragon Age and Cataclysm are the right was to describe this one.

Name: Alec Thade

Race: Half-Elf

Appearance: torchlight_alchemist.jpg yeah, i know :rolleyes:

Reaver Type: Soulreaver

Equipment: Nirvana Staff (used as both a Melee Weapon and Long Range, as it gathers psykick energy attuned from the wielding Soulreaver), Hand Canon Pistol.

Backstory: Previously, Thade worked as a Blacksmith at the ocean side Seanshire. He had not learned of his abilities until recently when he began hearing people's thoughts. Unable to control them at first, he was soon discovered by the Authorities and the Priests. He has been on the run since then, leaving from town to town. Eventually, he came across a village that wasnt within the jurastiction of the Priests, and learned to control his powers. Now he works as a local Blacksmith whom works under a different alias.

• 2 weeks later...

True, true, and thus I shall! (Don't know why I've waited so long...)

NAME: Perdre (yeah, shoot me) Valie (rhymes with "Jolie")

RACE: Human

TYPE OF REAVER: Bloodreaver

APPEARANCE: http://media.photobucket.com/image/human%20female%20warrior/Faygo_Rain/Women/FemaleWarrior.jpg

BACKSTORY: All Perdre remembers from waking up after one of her long and hard-fought battles is whispering the answer "Everything..." after hearing the murmured words, "What will you exchange to be brought back to...?" She is a Bloodreaver now, meaning a mortal hematophage/semi-vampire. Needing to draw blood to live, she prefers to do so upon those who are no longer living--the enemies she's just slain. She is not evil--far from it. She is simply a lost soul who wonders about the person who gave her a long drink of his/her own blood in order to revivivfy her--and awaken her new powers. Perdre believes it is the Prime Reaver himself/herself who has done so, although she's unsure. Will her quest for answers lead to inner peace, or a bitter desire for revenge?

• 1 month later...

Archived