Home

LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando

Sabretooth

As good as it is to remember Dark Forces... even for someone like me who played and finished the game when it was first released, I can't really go back.

I own the game right now and I tried to play it a few days ago... I can't! My nostalgia goggles aren't strong enough to make me want to play through beyond the first level and the visuals screw with my eyes and I kind of feel physically sick after playing it for too long.

I find it amazing that we were able to put up with such horrid visuals in the games of our past actually lol. It took me a little while to distinguish the enemies from the background and I kept on getting lost because everything looked the same and the walls outside of the base were that same repeated pattern EVERYWHERE.

If they did remake Dark Forces without trying to reimagine it and simply upgraded the visuals as a pure remake, it'd end up being a hell of a lot better than the original just because of that reason.

It's nice to hold on to nostalgia just as long as you have nostalgia goggles powerful enough to do the job.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's nice to hold on to nostalgia just as long as you have nostalgia goggles powerful enough to do the job.

That must mean mine are incredibly powerful. I played DF a few weeks ago, and fell in love with it all over again. I guess I haven't gotten to that point. Next week, it's on to Jedi Knight.

Dark Forces is not that awesome of a game. You know what it brought new to the table? Not a hell of a lot. It's just a first person shooter where the things you're shooting are Stormtroopers. A bad game? No, it's a very well made first person shooter. But it's still just that, a first person shooter in a market already filled with a glut of them.

Haven't played DF for a long time, but I did play it to death when I first got it in the 90's for my Mac. After all the games since then, I'd have to agree with LF and mim that it would essentially need a graphics overhaul to really enjoy again. Also a reason I have trouble going back to playing the original HL games. Graphics just too primitive now.

@ Primogen: Again, by that logic, every game sucks. Very few games released actually bring anything new to the table and those most people think do are actually borrowing from other games those people weren't even aware of.

Most of the time, whatever "new" element you see in a game is simply an old element that's been improved upon.

• 4 weeks later...

Liked dark forces but playing it now makes me a combination of queasy like playing tomb raider (suddenly remembers why I could not stand it was the cave level) plus my eyes burn like hell (think like 30 minutes on virtual boy eye agony divided in half). Actually it seems I can't stand many of the games I used to play as my eyes want to swell out of their sockets and my wrists are no longer acclimated to controllers.

Whoa, I just realized something...Many of my games are useless to me now. This...really sucks. :(

As good as it is to remember Dark Forces... even for someone like me who played and finished the game when it was first released, I can't really go back.

If they did remake Dark Forces without trying to reimagine it and simply upgraded the visuals as a pure remake, it'd end up being a hell of a lot better than the original just because of that reason.

It's too bad that the progress for "Dark Forces: A MOD For Jedi Academy" moves along so slowly as it is supposed to rectify the thing you're talking about.

Luckily, there's a whole section dedicated to this mod over in the Jedi Knight section of LucasForums: Dark Forces Mod

Archived