Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

yes, welcome Star Admiral! Make sure you visit regularly ;)

@Da_man.. I have no idea what has become of EW as far as his folding is concerned. Best you ask him ;)

anyway, it seems I have traversed 900 WUs ;) You may recall ram-girl from previous pages. 900WUs gives you an upgrade to Kingston Hyper RAM, delivered by CEO of manufacturing at Kingston, Future Mrs Astro Ms Didi Arfree ;) [/worstpunevar]

kingstonbabe.jpg

100 more WUs untl I can borrow Lvl 30 Evil WizrdCat from chainz, I need it to destroy my enemies with :p

mtfbwya

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the booth babe pics. I have to say Miss Kingston, a.k.a. future Mrs. Astro is pretty hawt. Based on looks alone I think you've made a wise choice there Astro. But Lazer Kitteh and 80's-TV-Show-Flashback are cool too. :D

Congrats to tk and Miltiades on their continued folding prowess. I hope tk is able to join the GPU folding ranks soon. Watch out when he starts crunching both SMP and GPU WU's. :freakout:

Hello, congratulations, and welcome to everyone who I haven't greeted, congratulated, or welcomed for awhile. Holidays are distracting and so is LFNetwork.

And thanks for the supercool pic Astro. I wasn't sure if I'd get 300 WU or 200K first. I admit I cheat a little because I have access to a couple extra PCs at work that help out but only one of the three (besides my home PC) can run SMP.

@ Char and Miltiades, or anyone running an nvidia card for that matter >> what type of temps are you getting on your GPU when your gpu client is running full pelt?

Im getting 82-5C in my smallform case. (I usually get 65C at idle) Im not hugely worried, its always the case with shuttles omn air, but Im interested in hearing what others are getting in on their cards with more standard sized cases.

EDIT:

mega-super-WOOT! kakao stats puts us in the magical top 800 within 30 days :) Whats magical about 800? I have no idea. But it will be great to plow onwards to our predicted 'ceiling' of rank 250ish, as calculated by tk.

mtfbwya

I've got a full tower case and with ambient air temperature around 19 degrees Celsius my graphics card runs 65 degrees Celsius at full utilization. I think it runs in the mid-50's at idle but I don't let it idle much. :D

Back in the summer when ambient temps in the house were around 26 degrees Celsius my graphics card ran 69-70 degrees Celsius at full utilization and around 59 degrees Celsius at idle.

Also, Professor Pande has posted some exciting news on his blog about the contributions of the folding@home project that has resulted in a potential drug to fight Alzheimer's. Hopefully they've got it right and it holds up under peer review and clinical trials.

We don't have anybody folding on ATI graphics cards here, do we?

great news indeed. see tk, we are making a difference! [/remembers tks moments of doubt]

@Star Admiral.. I have the same card in a htpc. The ati gpu client for that card was matched by the smp client on my x2 6000+ I was too chicken to throttle my cpus at 100% continously in a smallform case, so I dont use either now, just the nv-gpu client on my gaming/video rig.

forecast 31C tmrw...folding off until sunset! :(

mtfbwya

I do, on an ATI Radeon 3450 HD, which sucks big time. Still, it runs better than the CPU version, but it ties up my computer more. Can't multitask well with the GPU client running in the background.
Sorry to hear that. I thought the cores and folding@home.exe processes ran at a low enough priority that they would take a back seat to whatever you were doing on your system and give up whatever system resources they had to. Do you have a single core CPU or multi-core?

forecast 31C tmrw...folding off until sunset! :(
Ah yes, 'tis indeed summer in the Land Down Under though I have to say that 31C would be considered a cool summer day in my neighborhood. :D

Come late April, early May through the end of October I'll be back to my nighttime only folding routine as well. ;)

@Char Ell, I have a dual-core Pentium D processor, so there is no problem running the CPU client. I think the problem lies with the GPU being unable to multitask properly. While it's running, the framerate drops for my monitor, even when I'm just doing routine file operations or using KT. I'll be switching to an nVIDIA card (8600 GT) in a few days, so we'll see if it runs better. From what I've read, the GPU client would back off only if a program made a request to use DirectX resources. Either that, or I haven't configured the client properly. I'll hold off on using it until I figure it out.

- Star Admiral

Thansk for the temp reports. Im not hugely suprised with my 8800GTs being so warm in the smallform, though the EVGAs reportedly seem to run a bit warmer than most... lucky they have a lifetime warranty :D

@Star Admiral > as a general rule > if you are doing anything 'graphical' especially with a lower end card, you're simply better off switching the GPU client off when your doing it. This doent mean playing 1337 Crysis - things like flash sites and youtube etc will display performance drops with lower end cards trying to fold at the same time

One option is to have the CPU client on when youre surfin, and GPU client on when your idle(or both if you are adventurous). I have a dual core pentium D in my main htpc, it used to handle the standard cpu client quite fien whilst playing and recording HDTV. I never use it for gaming, but I switch all folding off if Im doing that(as I output at a beefy rez, I need all the juice I can get)

An 8600GT supports CUDA IIRC, so will definitely give you better folding numbers, but still, if youre doing anything graphical, best switch your folding off, you should never compromise your gaming and internet use for the sake of the fold ;) Fun/work comes first.

Edit: For those that may have missed it(I did)... the latest version of the GPU client is now 6.23 as of late November.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Also, if youre a driver betajunkie, the new nvidia 181.00 Betas are up for XP and Vista. I havent tried them yet, but may have a dig over the next day or so...

mtfbwya

@ star admiral. check the installation directory to make sure it contains a file called cudart.dll

If it doesn't use windows search to track it down, include hidden and system files in the search. Just to clarify the CUDA drivers aren't a separate download these days, they are incorporated into the latest builds of the nvidia drivers.

let us know how you go.

whilst i'm here, time for a special holiday season greeting to the folding crew.

have a beverage on creepy ole uncle Astro :cheers:

mtfbwya

Got it, thanks for the help Astro. Look forward to ripping through some WUs.

EDIT: Is there a proper way to exit the folding client when I turn off my computer? Every time I do, the log file states something along the lines of improper termination, and the work starts from the last checkpoint, usually several thousand steps behind.

- Star Admiral

epic indeed.... as dictated by Stanfords folding awards committee, members that reach 1500WU independently begin to approach something of a god like status.

Here is a pic of chainz taken earlier today ;)

Ingres_Jupiter_et_Thetis.jpg

and of course, teamLFN has collectively entered the top 900...

onwards and upwards!

@star admiral, I R click the tray icon and select quit when I want out, or pause if I plan to get back shortly.

It might be that I missed it previously, but 6.23 seems to install itself as a default startup program. I usually dont like when proggies do that, but will let this be for the moment.

If anyone want to stop that process

start>(run*)>msconfig>select startup tab>deselect f@home GPU entry

*(run)> you will need to select this in xp, but can type msconfig straight into the start button search pane in vista..

mtfbwya

What about the fact that our team has collectively processed more than 2 million points worth of folding for this project?!?!?! That deserves an epic pic, no?

[align=center]DBgTeamEpic_800x600.jpg[/align] :D

Kudos to ChAiNz on making it to Mount Olympus. I just hope he doesn't hurl any thunderbolts my way. :S

Firstly, wishing all teamLFN members a happy new year ;) Hope all your wishes and folding targets come true!

back to business:

*congrats to chainz on surpassing 1600WU. Prize is a second goddess adorning his mighty throne of folding awesomeness [/mspaintskillz]

chainzbabes.jpg

*congrats to Sameul Dravis . 400 WUs! I'd be interested to know what type of client/card he was running... I imagine a 9800 or thereabouts?

mtfbwya

Archived