Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

@Da-man >> that sucks. sometimes our pc doesnt give us the option of a software solution :(

Im not sure using the word ''Lucasarts'' so directly would be allowed. I'd need to ask an admin, or maybe tk would know. I dont thing the name is a huge issue, unless we wanted to make it ''official'' and actually link Lucasarts fans from outside LFN > which is definitely an interesting idea.. at the moment though, I think we're lucky to have a hint of their logo in our images starters! :)

I wouldnt say were in a huge funk. chainz is having a break, and its damn hot here in Oz, Theres 10000 PPD right there! Its lucky we have yourself Char and some of the others powering along, otherwise we'd be dropping spots quick.

I have already asked for a badge but am not holding my breath for immediate action on it. Theres a lot going on in modland ;) When things calm down a bit, I'll press for it more.

great job to everyone for keeping those WUs ticking over, and kudos to tk and SD for passing 600 and 400 WUs respectively. Lexxy has also passed her 100 and PastramiX is nearly there too ;)

What we really need is.....the GTX300 to be released :D And for me, this weather to start calming down a bit :p

astro

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if I sounded like I didn't appreciate the efforts of everyone who has supported and/or continues to support the folding efforts of our team. I do. I guess I was just trying to think of ways to help make folding a bit more exciting, get more people interested and involved in it, stuff like that. Yeah, we miss ChaiNz's contributions and I hope he is doing OK but I'm glad we're still motoring on and helping to contribute to what I consider a very worthwhile project. And again, my apologies to any of the existing team members if my suggestions offended. :)

Char, no one can ever be offended at our no2 awesomest contributor making suggestions! If it were a 1 WU superman, some head scratching would have ensued, but not for one of the teams most earliest and consistent members. :D

The badge idea was a great idea, and Id already submitted it, but was a bit more lenient with the WU requirement, remembering it could take some of our non GPU client members a long time to complete a WU. I'd set a minimum at 50WU. I actually hadnt gone beyond that, and a special looking badge like a 'platinum folder' for above 1500WUs etc is cool too. We'll sort it out soon enough.

I also do think a more official lucasarts angle might be a good one. It wont cost them anything and its good PR :D All in good time.

mtfbwya

you da_man!! [/couldnt resist] welcome back to the fold.

Team members with over 50 WUs may be pleased to know that the submission to get LFN folders a badge has been given admin support. All that really needs to be done is get a badge made for it.

Please post some ideas of what you'd like the badge to look like, which we can then submit to the staff responsible for making them

astro

While I was trying out my new hard drive,I learned that F@H was the thing that was screwing with my boot sequence. So unless I want my computer to stay on for longer than 10 minutes, I can't have F@H on my computer. Sorry guys.

That didn't last very long.

is this because F@H is set to startup automatically. You can switch that off if that is somehow interefering with your windows startup, simply start it manually when you feel like running it. If running it while your pc is on is causing your pc to crash, there are perhaps some bigger things going wrong in the background.

to stop f@H coming on at startup

start>msconfig>startup>unselect folding@home entry

mtfbwya

Oops just realized my Windows SMP client hadn't been folding for the last 10 days. It seems that beta expired back on Feb 2 and after my PC was restarted the client never resumed its work. Just downloaded the drop-in .exe to remedy that.

hope your compy starts to behave itself eventually Da_man :)

Well done to PastramiX who has crossed the 100 WU mark, and chi7891 not too far behind. Great stuff!

I have been doing a little more folding, thanks to some calmer temps...

As for the teamLFN badges. Im about to submit a request for one. I have an idea or two for a design, Im sure they'll turn out nice once Lynk is done with it.

Finally, for those of you who havent done so, check out the new LFN podcast, featuring some well known LFN members, as well as teamLFNs very own LeXX.

Great job LeXX, and thanks for mentioning us :D Im sure w'll be hearing tk102 on it soon too :)

@tk> i was wondering exactly that! Glad you are back churning with us again !

mtfbwya

A good way of knowing you have the latest drivers for your graphics card is to look at the points you get for a WU. If you get less than normal, chances are it's because there's a new driver update. I already thought there was a link between the two before, but can't be coincidence now. You all probably knew this already, but I just wanted to mention it anyway. :p

Progress has slowed down a bit, it seems, but were still moving up in the ranks, so we're good. Hope we can attract some new folks with the badges. A great idea, by the way! :)

@ tk - Hip hip hooray! The SMP folding master returneth!

Sorry Astro but you should know by now that I suck at graphics. :D If you've already got the badge images covered then that sounds good to me. I was figuring we could somehow retool one of the images ChAiNz came up with but I don't know how well that would work with the template style Lynk came up with for badges.

So I'm trying out running both the CPU client and the GPU client on my Pentium 4 PC. Seems like I have to start the CPU client before the GPU version. If I start the GPU version first then it gets killed when I start the CPU client. I'll see if my system can hold up under both and if GPU client performance is noticeably degraded.

The latest WHQLs for nvidia are 182.06

The latest Betas are 185.20

I am using the latter with no gripes whatsoever

As of 18x.xx CUDA moved onto 2.1, along with the release of the 2.1 CUDA SDK.

From what I can discern, this hasn't had any positive, nor negative effect on folding performance. It's been a while since a client tweak though...

As Miltiades mentioned, we are still moving forward, all be it a bit more slowly of course. Chainz is entitled to a break, though we do wish he returns to the fold in the not too distant future. Also, when the weather here calms down, I can start churning my 4000 PPD again ;)

mtfbwya

So I noticed this past week that the Folding@Home project we're a part of broke through the 5 petaflop milestone. And then I went to the official Folding@Home blog and saw that this occurred on or before February 18.

All in all pretty amazing at how this distributed computing model is leaving traditional supercomputers in the dust. Of course, if all of the scientists stopped using supercomputers and tried to get a bunch of people to donate their personal computers' processing time to their particular project then I guess it probably wouldn't work all that well. :p

I sometimes forget the start folding when there's time to fold. I hate that. It costs me points. Until then, this was my "diary of a folder".

In windows, and I daresay in any OS, you can set F@H to either start at startup or if you want to make sure it comes on when your alseep, set it to start at a time where your GPU is otherwise idle.

just type task scheduler into start>search and off you go :)

So I noticed this past week that the Folding@Home project we're a part of broke through the 5 petaflop milestone.

That is pretty mind boggling. I cant think of a better excuse to go with team green when considering a GPU purchase :D Of course, their increasing animosity towards intel also makes them more endearing to me personally :D

Im just itchin to see what the GTX 300 is going to inflict on WUs :) Little reports are starting to trickle out that nvidia is chuffed with its performance and is about to get more official with it in the not too distant future. The world awaits the Crysis Killer, even though most people arent actually interested in playing Crysis, they just want to see the Crytek engine get a thumping :p

Update re- folding badges: D333 and Lexxy have submitted the request to master badgemaker Lynk. All we need now is patience ;)

mtfbwya

In windows, and I daresay in any OS, you can set F@H to either start at startup or if you want to make sure it comes on when your alseep, set it to start at a time where your GPU is otherwise idle.

just type task scheduler into start>search and off you go

Yeah, I know. I chose not to make it start at startup. Making it start when GPU is idle does seem interesting, though. Might try that.

Yes!! congrats to team members awarded with this rare badge! Wear it with honour and pride.

foldbadge.jpg

Thanks to:

*The staff that helped bring it about and Lynk for his cool badge design.

*Team LFN members for all their contributions. Im looking forward to more of our team members getting one

There was a little glitch at the start where all folders on the teamLFN list were given a badge, as opposed to just those with 50WUs and above(as originally stated here on 22Feb). This has now been corrected.

mtfbwya

I actually did think about that myself when the request was submitted. Whilst molecular representations are not copyrighted, if you think about how small the badge ends up being on your screen it'd make the thing too busy.

Lynk did a great job. Lets leave it at that :)

I like how he focussed on the @, very clever! Reducing a concept down to a logo or character is a technique commonnly used in graphic design/marketing. Our @ was perfect for this :)

mtfbwya

Archived