Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

congrats to Char! Powering on beyond 900WU... hot on my heels and quite likely to overtake me on the road to Lvl 30 WizardCat(1000WU)

We've had a few 30+© days here, so just a bit of folding at night. To try keep up, Ive tried to rope in some other family members... so far the only response I have gotten is from my Cat, Astro Jr, who has been sitting on a pile of folding for the last 3 hours:

foldinastro.jpg

mtfbwya

lol @ Astro Jr. He's just too comfortable resting on the folded clothes and can't be bothered with actually folding them. Good luck with your recruitment efforts. I've only been able to convince one of my brothers to run the CPU client and he only did it because I set it up for him on his system. I have to pester him with reminders to make sure he's running his folding client. :D

I think I've developed a hardware issue or two over the past few days that is impeding my folding. I wake up or come home from work and find my system has either lost network connectivity or has crashed/lost its ability to display to my monitor. Right now I blame it on my MSI mainboard but that's just a guess. Perhaps my MSI 9800 GTX+ is buckling under the near-constant 99% GPU utilization. A reboot restores everything but it seems like this is turning into a more frequently occurring problem that I'm going to have to deal with sooner rather than later. :(

hope you get that sorted char - what does the log say?? Any other network events interfering? Ive often found hectic p2p in the background has been the most common cause of those type of droputs.

Ive also since removed F@H from a default startup program. I think its a bit sneaky of them to do that as default feature!!

mtfbwya

I have stopped folding for a while. I really need my computer right now (finals), and I've experienced some performance issues these last few weeks. I could let my Laptop do the folding, but I'm too lazy to start it up, and folding numbers aren't that impressive anyway.

Sorry guys. Computer will be less used in a couple of weeks. :)

No worries, Miltiades. I don't think folding should be the top priority in our lives. ;) I would do the same in your position so good luck on your finals.

As far as my PC goes it's been stable for a couple of days now. I can't see anything in Windows event log that says what problem was encountered when my PC had stopped working over the weekend and earlier in the week. There appears to be a corollation between my PC losing network connectivity and an Apple Software Update error so I'm keeping an eye on that.

Damn. That there is some serious folding

Thats the beauty of the gpu client

speaking of which, looks like Im going to hang on just long enough to make it to 1000WUs and inherit the powah of Lvl 30 Wizard Cat. Promptly thereafter, Char will soon be assuming 2nd place on the ladder....My rig has been folding much less with the weather being consistently hot :(

mtfbwya

btw, Im just mentioning it here > if anyone is wanting to play around with windows beta1 and hasnt managed to get a key yet, let me know and I can hook you up ;)

I have a few official keys left to give you the full duration(August 1)... Im sure someone will crack it for longer in short time, though RC1 will likely be out before then :p

FYI - dx11 has been implemented in the beta for the first time.. which Im quite looking forward to testing soon(once I get the apps pack from MS) The HTPC testing has already progressed as fair as 7016 which is close to RC1.

mtfbwya

A_Dead_Jedi is doing great and I'm glad to see everybody's contributions, be they GPU or CPU work units. Every little bit helps.

Astro,

Very nice. Thanks for the offer. We'll see when MS reposts the beta for download whether I can get a key or not. I think the last OS beta version I used was Windows 2000 so I'm guessing beta versions have changed since then. :lol: Is a Windows 7 beta still usable for 30 days from installation without a key?

Only 5 more WU's for you to go and you can grant yourself the Wizard Cat. ;) And I'm sure you'll pass me once I hit summer here and go to nighttime only folding again. No doubt you'll have another vid card by then that will really crank out the WU's and you'll be in winter and back to all day folding. Besides I've really grown quite fond of the #3 spot so I'll be a happy camper when you reclaim #2. ;P

Astro seriously? Dood! Send one here! I've been playing with the beta this week. I've been trying to get some freeware I wrote to work with Vista's UAC but I didn't have a Vista box.

@Char Ell: Haven't experienced any flakiness with the OS yet. I had read the beta expires in February and yes, you can use it without a key for the next month.

Public Beta 1 Build 7000 will expire August 1(with a key). 30 days without a key. However combining orbit30 and a p2p serach will sort this out if you miss out on getting one from MS or me :D

as far as stability goes, its very stable. This is simply because MS went with the approach of releasing near completed features in each pre and subsequent beta. Stuff theyre still working on isnt rolled out until its reached some sort of stablility. This was totally different to how they did Vista. Public beta, RC1 etc used to crash if you looked at it funny ;) That being said, the jump from xp to vista was a but more dramatic than from vista to w7, so for those with working vista rigs, it *should* be a breeze. Heck Ive even got W7 working on my 5 year old tablet pc :D

@tk, check your PMs dude

mtfbwya

Ive got 4 rigs for my W7 testing atm(I got Build 7016 today) Each of these has windows 7 on a partition of an existing drive. Some even have both x86 and x64 concurrently. I dont have that many spare hdds ! :p

Im using easy bcd to set the bootloader to jump between installs.. it's pretty easy

mtfbwya

lolz...no fanfare! ...?? :p nevermind

BEHOLD! (*recently stolen from chainz secluded F@H log cabin*)

1000 WUs = LVL 30 WIZRDCAT

lvl30wizardcat.png

Now, to find those kids that stole my R2D2 eraser in 1982... they are SO dead :D

I better get onto 'em quick though, as Char will be able to legally claim wizard pussycat joint custody within a few days :p

mtfbwya

yup, 181.20 went WHQL as of Jan 8.

Windows 7 public beta also has some drivers issued which you can either get separately HERE to deploy on a non network rig, or simply via windows update. They are MS WDDM drivers, not an nvidia build.

Also, a hearty congrats to tk102 who is just about to knock over 350 WUs - all on non GPU clients... amazing!

@tk >> with our recent new members, does our daily average out us above that 250 plateaux you predicted? It'd be cool if our 'wall' was to be in the top 200 > but even if not, teamLFN is contributing fabulously.

Go teamLFN!

*pines for GTX 300 release, review, benchmarks*

mtfbwya

*** Blows trumpet loudly ***

Congrats to Astro on the 1,000 WU milestone!!!!

How was that for fanfare? :D

And I don't know about sharing custody of LVL 30 WIZRDCAT. I may just let you have sole custody since I think he's giving me the evil eye. ;) lol

Still troubleshooting my occasional loss of network connectivity. It appears it's not a full loss of network connectivity as only DNS functionality is unavailable. When this happens I can actually ping my DNS server but if I try to run a traceroute to my DNS server that just hangs and I can't resolve any websites. Additionally I cannot stop or restart my system's DNS client service and my firewall goes offline so I'm not sure what the source of the problem is anymore. Like I said, a reboot puts everything back into proper working order but most of the time this happens when I'm not around and my folding client can't transmit completed WU's or get new ones until I get home and reboot it.

cheers Char! Yes, I would very much like to keep Wizrdcat for now. Being of Turkish heritage, evil eye charms are all over my house, so that is no problem for me should he wish to give me evil eye too :p

as for your network issue - does your folding rig have a static IP? I found that when I assign a static IP to my rig I at times got similar issues.

In any event, someone with a deeper understanding of networking than I may be able to provide some insights

*puts up tk102 bat signal* :p

btw, the 185.20 Betas have finally been released in the wake of the 285/295 cards.

Unless youre having issues, only for betajunkies I guess ;) *runs off to get fix*

mtfbwya

Really? Yes, as a matter of fact my folding rig is configured with a static IP. My Linksys router's DHCP server stopped renewing leases about 6-9 months ago. Instead of having to go out and buy a new router I decided to just configure the two PC's on my home network with static IP's. That just seems too weird to think that the GPU folding client causes occasional drops in DNS connectivity when its host PC is configured with a static IP. I mean, the GPU client works fine most of the time. Stranger things have happened though, I'm sure. :)

You might look to see if you have the latest firmware update for your router. My DLink wouldn't cooperate with my Aspire One until I did this. I could establish connectivity with my own network if I gave it a static IP (no DHCP would work), but I could not get out to the Internet on it. My other computers had no problems connecting to the Internet. In fact I couldn't even ping the router, but I could ping other computers on my network. It was a really weird symptom and I could have sworn it was all the Acer's fault, but it actually ended up being the router's firmware.

Archived