Home

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

Udvarnoky

I like Troy Baker's performance here, although voice-wise I would have preferred A.J. LoCascio. But I guess Baker's motion capture experience (and his physicality fitting Indy better than LoCascio) played a role here.

Also, having Gordy Haab doing the soundtrack (with the London Symphony Orchestra, no less) is fucking amazing! No one does Williams like him - just check out his Star Wars Battlefront and Jedi soundtracks.

Edited by Laserschwert

looks great. appreciate this being first-person versus getting lost in the pool of third-person Tomb Raider/Uncharted-like games.

not loving Troy Baker tho. he's officially become gaming's Chris Pratt (until Chris Pratt becomes gaming's Chris Pratt).

It seems to be based on a conspiracy theory called "the great circle of ancient sites". It claims that a lot of ancient sites are aligned on a great circle on earth, close to the equator, and that is a sign of all these ancient civilizations secretly communicating and being more advanced than we thought.

However, it boils down to simple statistics abuse, as a lot of ancient sites exist and you can draw various great circles through many of them.

You could do the same thing if you'd randomly scatter dots around a sphere and after the drawing of a circle assign significance to all dots on the line.

Looking forward to see how this game interpretes it :)

Edited by Gins
typing sucks on mobile
  • Like 2

I‘ll repost my 1st impression here. No one seems to read the news comments anyway 😉

Well, there are definitely some Indy vibes in the trailer that catch my interest. And the graphics look really good.

I also appreciate the fact that they didn’t use existing Indiana Jones music from the movies, but composed a new score, And then went the extra mile to record it with an orchestra. That decision alone gets my deepest respect!

I think I’ll give that game a chance and play the beginning. But probably I won’t get very far since I suck at action games 😉

Perhaps I’ll watch the whole story afterwards in a let’s play video on YouTube 😉

I really like the machinegames Wolfenstein games, they are good at making pulpy action adventures where you beat up a bunch of ridiculous nazis who are up to absurd genre-influenced shenanigans. Seems like a good fit. I love a first person single player campaign too so I’m looking forward to that. It’d be cool to see an Indy game in the exact mold of Uncharted or Tomb Raider but I’m also glad that they’re trying to differentiate themselves from that. 

• Like 1

As a huge Uncharted fan, my first thought (and most likely the one of many, many others) playing those games was "imagine an Indiana Jones game like this". But then again, for Indy you would at least have to get rid of all the shooting, because that's not Indiana Jones. He's more like the guy with an empty revolver. And when losing long-range combat like that, it only makes sense to lose the long-range perspective as well. Close combat warrants a close-up perspective, so the first-person view is indeed a better fit.

Granted, I wouldn't have minded a third-person game at all, but then again, Uncharted did it so well (the controls, the procedural animations, character detail), it would have been disappointing to see a franchise that's so dear to my heart (Indy, in this case) not reaching the same heights.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1

Kinda bummed about the fact that it's first person. I'm not really into first person games, and the whole thing with the whip looks a bit wonky. I'm not really getting an Indiana Jones vibe off this, I don't know if it's because of the first person action (although it doesn't help), or that something else feels off. Also, the casting choice of Troy Baker seems a bit uninspired, and after the Nazi at the beginning, Indy looks a bit 'wooden' in his facial animations.

Based on the trailer, I don't think this game is for me.

Hopefully there are some accessibility options to turn the action/combat difficulty way down. I'm not gonna say no to a first person puzzle/adventure game.

Troy Baker does seem to be becoming a go-to guy for games like this, but the voice he's doing here sounds enough like Indiana Jones not to faze me.

Edited by LuigiHann

1 hour ago, LuigiHann said:

Hopefully there are some accessibility options to turn the action/combat difficulty way down. I'm not gonna say no to a first person puzzle/adventure game.

Troy Baker does seem to be becoming a go-to guy for games like this, but the voice he's doing here sounds enough like Indiana Jones not to faze me.

You can play thtough a lot of their Wolfenstein games without big shootouts, if you play stealthily, so I wouldn't be surprised if this game took a classic Indy point and click approach and made full on combat completely optional, providing sneaking, puzzling or other ways past encounters, or at least heavily reduce the forces you'll have to face by using your head.

Mind you that is my hope for the game, but I don't know what they'll do. The potential is there, but they also seem to focus a lot on the action setpieces in this game.

23 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I'm not really getting an Indiana Jones vibe off this, I don't know if it's because of the first person action (although it doesn't help), or that something else feels off.

I think I know what feels off to me now. It's the acting. The voice isn't all that bad, although it's definitely no Harrison Ford, but the acting just isn't Indy. The way Indy talks in this trailer sounds more Nathan Drake-ish (or in this case, his brother from part 4) than Indiana-ish.

• Like 1