Home

I've yet to finish "Psycho XX". Shame on me for getting distracted sometime in the middle.

EDIT: maybe add "rumor/speculation" or something to the title to avoid disappointed thread viewers 😉

• Like 1

Isn't Pyschonauts 2 technically Psychonauts 3 already, since they also made that VR game?

And it'd be really soon after Psychonauts 2 to already announce a sequel. Not that I'm not in favour of it, of course!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Huz said:

Psychonauts 3 will be released on the 30th anniversary of the first game, so they better start developing it now.

Ooh. I just had to check. XXX could easily be 30th anniversary... Psychonauts Remake?! ...but they probably wouldn't be teasing something two year's away :(

Just now, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Ooh. I just had to check. XXX could easily be 30th anniversary... Psychonauts Remake?! ...but they probably wouldn't be teasing something two year's away :(

That'd be Psychonauts XX.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

My already shaky sense of time got even more shook for a sec... Luckily Psychonauts is 'only' 22 years old.

Oh no

• Like 1

I don't know if you're all pranking me, but Psychonauts is currently 18 years old and will turn 20 in 2025.

Therefore, Psychonauts XXX -- aka Psychonauts 30 -- would be looking at a 2035 release.

It's way too early in the morning for me to be dealing with all of this. 😒

• Haha 1

Some amazing adding up going on in this thread.

Just to confirm, I was being ridiculous. Even Tim probably isn't going to embark on a Daikatana-esque production schedule. But then the rest of you came in and I felt like I'd suffered brain damage :(

36 minutes ago, Remi said:

That'd be Psychonauts XX.

Excellent point. I was jump between meetings when I wrote that and wasn't actually engaged. I took Huz's maths at face value, like a fool. But, some good news: for once something isn't as old as I thought!

Usually you learn something like this and it makes you feel ancient.

Other things to consider:

• This is the Australia/New Zealand account - no reason to believe they'd start a teaser campaign there
  • In the USA it's "tic tac toe"... so why would they do a pun on "naughts and crosses"?
  • It's clearly not Psychonautswhen you think about it... :( BUT! maybe this excitement will ignite something at XBS?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

2 minutes ago, Remi said:

I still don't get the "naughts and crosses" pun, but then, I've never heard that name for it before.

It's very confusing, because apparently in Aus and NZ they call it naughts and crosses (like we Brits do), so the social media manager over there must have been aware of the connection: Psycho... naughts.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Remi said:

Wow. That's a stretch. All said, this kind of speculation feels very 2004, and I fully approve of that.

Well one player is "O" (naughts) and the other is "X" (crosses). So that means in the graphic that the "naughts" spell out "Psycho"... so it's not much of a leap. In fact, I can't see what else they would mean. It's very confusing!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

It's very confusing, because apparently in Aus and NZ they call it naughts and crosses (like we Brits do), so the social media manager over there must have been aware of the connection: Psycho... naughts.

Yeah, that was my thought. If you start from the word "Psychonauts" with the goal of coming up with some cryptic wordplay, I can see how you'd get there.

Edited by LuigiHann
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LuigiHann said:

Yeah, that was my thought. If you start from the word "Psychonauts" with the goal of coming up with some cryptic wordplay, I can see how you'd get there.

Definitely. And added to that is the fact that it's an Australian/New Zealand channel where they say "Naughts and Crosses" and it's really weird. If it was the USA channel then you'd not expect many people there to get it...

But maybe the XBS marketing team is entirely based in the USA and nobody in ANZ thought to flag it 🤦‍♂️

It's cool though: It lets XBox know that there's appetite for more!

EDIT: Damn it. Now I'm overthinking it...

So this is how the game played out...

a     b     c
      |     |     
1  -  |  -  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
2  -  |  X  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
3  -  |  -  |  -  
      |     |     

a     b     c
      |     |     
1  -  |  -  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
2  -  |  X  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
3  -  |  -  |  P  
      |     |     

P

a     b     c
      |     |     
1  -  |  -  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
2  -  |  X  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
3  -  |  X  |  P  
      |     |     

a     b     c
      |     |     
1  -  |  S  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
2  -  |  X  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
3  -  |  X  |  P  
      |     |     

PS

a     b     c
      |     |     
1  -  |  S  |  X  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
2  -  |  X  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
3  -  |  X  |  P  
      |     |     

a     b     c
      |     |     
1  -  |  S  |  X  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
2  -  |  X  |  -  
 _____|_____|_____
      |     |     
3  C  |  X  |  P  
      |     |     

PSC... yeah, someone fucked it. a3 should have been Y.

Maybe the graphic designer got lazy, or someone thought it looked better with Y in the middle on the left.

Or it's actually spelling PSC... something.

I'm Australian-adjacent, and immediately thought naughts and crosses, too ... and so did the people responding to the Twitter post, from the looks of it.

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 1.27.39 pm.png

Plenty of comments on the post are also assuming it's Psychonauts 3, so if it's something else the Australia/NZ social media manager really misjudged this one.

On the other hand, it seems like a very odd place to start teasing the game. Does Psychonauts have a particularly large antipodean fan base?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fentongames said:

P.S. I really should play Psychonauts at some point!

3afeaddb94d97b9a43570b7cd7788763.gif

1 hour ago, fentongames said:

Cressup (behind the excellent interviews with LucasArts/Adventure Game legends) is releasing an interview with Tim Schafer today, apparently...  👀

Cressup - YouTube

Alas, not today...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

PSC... yeah, someone fucked it. a3 should have been Y.

I considered trying to map out the game like that, but there's no scenario where it'd go 6-3 anyway. Nobody gets to play more than 5 squares in a real game

4 hours ago, Aro-tron said:

I'm Australian-adjacent, and immediately thought naughts and crosses, too ... and so did the people responding to the Twitter post, from the looks of it.

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 1.27.39 pm.png

That comment reminds me of this sketch by Aunty Donna 

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Haha 1

Wow! This topic has really exploded! I love it! Here’s hoping the forums gets the same kind of boost as last year (although admitted ReMI’s hype can’t really be matched.)

And to finally, after 25 years, get a mention on Mojo’s front page really brings a tear to my eye! Thanks, Remi!

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

12 hours ago, LuigiHann said:

I considered trying to map out the game like that, but there's no scenario where it'd go 6-3 anyway. Nobody gets to play more than 5 squares in a real game

Obviously, but still, they clearly thought about the first few moves... I mean, maybe they still did and PSC is actually related to the reveal?