Home

What was your first adventure game experience?

Snootch

I went to my cousins and he just bought an amiga with lots of games. I picked up monkey island and said "lets play this" he agreed, we fired it up and spent days on it. When we got stuck we tried MI2. Then, whilst shopping I saw MI1 & 2, picked it up, and then I grew love for adventure games.

Kings Quest 3.

It was ages ago and I was way too young to understand what I had to do, let alone the fact that English isn't my native language and that's not giving you any advantage either. I died all the time falling off cliffs you often couldn't see clearly on a 14' b&w screen.

Maybe that's been giving me the 'Sierra' trauma I still have. :eek:

--Erwin

You are in Indian country. You are being watched.

Your trusty steed is here.

You mount your trusty steed.

A rattlesnake slithers past.

Bang! Your six-gun has 5 bullets left.

You missed.

The rattlesnake bites your trusty steed.

The trusty steed rolls over on top of you.

You are dead. Please try to be more careful in the future.

No sooner than you mutter those words, a band of Indian braves, offended by your foul language, set about beating you to death.

You are dead. You have scored 0 out of 300 points.

("West" on the Sinclair QL in case you're wondering. And the Indian Braves line was a lot better than I have recalled here ;))

First adventure game I ever played: well, my old primary school had a crappy Apple IIe with an eclectic range of games, and one of them was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure. I always died in about ten moves, so I gave that up. Then there was Transylvania, which actually had graphics! Crappy monochrome ones maybe, but graphics nonetheless. I played that a lot. Nearly worked out what the plot was...

And first LucasArts adventure I got my hands on was Monkey Island II, in 1992. That got me going...

i dont know if it was my first, but there was this game called something like eco quest, i think it was one of those adventure/education ype games, when i was really young.

when i get older i played a demo for mi3, and then i got into them more.

(yes, i know, im very very new to adventure games :D )

The Secret of Monkey Island 7-DD VGA Disk Version with the dial-a-pirate code wheel and an upgrade cirtificate later used to purchas a complementy copy of the CD-ROM version featuring five diffrent languages.

If anyone out there has the 7-DD disk version please send me the files!!! Mine are corrupt and searching on the net only ever found me the 4-HD version and the EGA version... but I want the 7-DD one!!

=mek=

My best friend got that 5 pack of Early LA adventures With Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, Loom, Indy: ALC, and MI. I played Indy first becasue I new that charicter, then got stuck on the tile puzzle in the library (i would not compleat this puzzle till 5 years after even though I gave it a shot every time I went over) Next I tried Loom and got confussed. Finaly I played MI. Then I was hooked, I'd make a point to got to my friends every chance i could just to play this game. Sadly being young and foolish i used the compleat walk through that came with it so i missed out on the exploration factor. However its cool to note that I never realised the game had two endings until just this year. I had never sunk the ship with the rock until I did it by accedent and got a different way off the island. I all ways wondered why the guys all ways said they were stuck on Monkey Island in EMI because the way I played the first one they came back to Melee with me.

Hmmm...

I think my first adventures were Hugo 1-3, which came on a crappy shareware CD.

Oh man, the days of crappy shareware CDs, when all you had to play was them... Anyway, when you have a limited number of short games, you eventually turn to those that you don't know by heart yet.

So I fired up Hugo. "Hmm," I thught to myself, "Crappy graphics, you have to type the do anything, and it doesn't accept words like 'kiss'." I still played all three of them, and progressed very little.

Still, I was only, like, eight or nine at the time, and I didn't speak English all that well...

Later, I have recieved a CD with MI2, DOTT, and some other stuff.

The first one I really played was DOTT, although around that time I also got an internet connection, so DOTT and MI2 were passed mostly with walkthroughs.

I was hooked, though.

And those Hugo games still piss me off.

Bah! When I was about three I used to watch my sister play the adventure game Grannies Garden on a very old BBC computer I had. Even from a very young age, I was hooked! About five years later I had completed Grannies Garden and moved onto The Lost Frog - my, was that a great game. Then my idiot sister bought Theme Park, so I stole it off her and started to play it myself. The I got Magic Carpet... and kind of forgot about adventure games, untill I saw the Monkey Island Bounty pack advertised....

My first adventure(s) were back in the days when I had a Mac. The Mac we had bought did not have a CD-ROM, so we had to buy a 4x seperately. It came with these crappy edumacation games, and some sound effects thinger, and the Lucasarts Mac CD Game Pack. The pack consisted of:

Secret of Monkey Island

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Loom

PIPE DREAM!!!!

Heh, well I think I played them in order that they were in the folder (SOMI, Loom, Indy, Pipe dream(strange)). Soon enough, I got the Fate of Atlantis on the Mac. Later on, still on the Mac, I got the Game Pack #2. It had SOMI and FOA, so the only REAL reason I bought it was for Monkey Island 2.

Then I went to Sam and Max, then DOTT, played them numerous times... FT, Dig.... Grim Fandango. I played a lot of games, but these rocked.

Around the time of getting Game Pack 1, I got the first Journeyman Project game, played it, but was too young to understand wtf was going on, so that's why I consider SOMI the first.

Archived