Home

Daily Zen Hip-hop Jamboree

Zoom Rabbit

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings, Rasta! :assult: offers two pounds of space fish and says 'may the horse pee rip you.'

Would time exist in a separate context if you stopped the present continuum? Impossible to know, that...quantum science says maybe, which helps us not at all. :rolleyes:

'Captain, the fat chick has begun her aria on the poop deck, and she's dragging the stern down so far that water is swamping the aft cannon ports! We tried repositioning the orchestra up in the rigging, but they're making the ship handle all bobbly, which is no good in this storm. The first violinist dropped his score, and now we can't finish the second act with the solo in place! The cannons have broken loose below, and are playing havoc with the set changes. The concession is out of popcorn, and we can't raise the anchor! I'll say this--we picked a bad weekend to perform Wagner's ring trilogy at sea.'

:)

Next zen for contemplation: 'Is fire happy?'

Does fire want? :D Hard to say...when observed, it goes after fuel, but when you take the fuel away the fire burns out.

Is it simply following the laws of physics...or does it want?

I tried asking fire if it desired fuel, and if it was happy, but it merely crackled and popped at me. I am left, then, with both possibilities unresolved. The fire, of course, just keeps burning...

No answer. :) Zen.

Desire? Happy? Fire isn't alive, is it? Well, I've thought long on this and come up with the answer 'maybe.' It moves, reproduces and consumes fuel, just like every living thing we've discovered. The only determining factor left is consciousness, and fire seems to be at least as conscious as, say, a mushroom (which any scientist would say is alive.) If it is alive, the issue of happiness becomes purely subjective--you'd have to be the fire to know for sure.

New koan for tonight: 'What is not art?' :D

The top 40.

Hell, I could also say the current state of the music biz.

But then the music biz has only had the slightest unintentional passing relationship with art in it's entire history anyway.

But I'm not REALLY bitter at all...

I've noticed that success seems to spoil bands these days. My favorite group, the Offspring, is a good example. I like their earlier work, but the stuff of theirs on the radio these days just doesn't sound like them to me...

We all know that the real artists are forever unknown, performing in smokey bars and recording in the garage. ;)

'No, don't let those neo-nazis up on the stage. I don't care if they reserved it for their rally--I see too many groovy people out there to listen to their bulls**t today, so me and the boys are gonna pump out some kickin' jams instead. I have my guitar right here...hear how she wails. The pirate crew is all set up...can you argue with drums and a synthesizer like this? Of course not. Just sit back and listen to the show while the Hell's Angels stomp these fascist numbnuts in the front row...'

:) Art doesn't need success. It just is.

Anything in the Top 40 is absolute garbage crap music, my girlfriend loves to listen to the radio in the car and it drives me crazy because not only does the music SUCK, but they play the same set of songs over and over and over again, it drives me nuts. So we made a rule, when I drive I listen to what I want, and when she drives she gets to put on the radio. I just stick to usual rotation of old-school rap, the beatles, nirvana, and van morrison. But I'm not bitter about anything either...

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit

'What is not art?'

Nothing.

"Art" may be defined as the balance of numerous variables to form a cohesive whole. The universe (despite being in a state of eternal quantum potentiality á la Schroëdinger) is a cohesive whole by virtue of simple physical laws. Therefore anything that exists within the contect of a universe (including other universes) produces a level of interconnectedness.

Therefore, if "art" can be said to exist, it is an absolute.

We are all but elements of colour and texture seeking a balance within the construction.

This is why we assimilate. To bring chaotic systems into a superior order, and so acheive Perfection.

Oh yeah, the cat thing. Yadda-yadda, J.S. Bell, 'spooky action at a distance,' etc. :D Everything's one, and science admits it now. Of course, just as 'art' is one with everything, one could argue the same for strawberry pop-tarts, silly putty and algae being one with everything...

So, Borg Collective, how exactly does a subjective call like 'art' or 'not art' assimilate into the hive mind? If the entire universe was art, then that implies an artist...

:) The Borg Collective seems to believe in God as a creative force behind the universe. Curious.

New zen: 'where does the sky begin?'

To confuse matters even more, take a handful of dirt and toss it up into the wind. Now where's the ground? Where is the sky?

I hear the Borg tried to assimilate zen once, and as a result thirty Borg cubes flew into a nearby sun in search of its source...

:D

Floyd, comma, Pink. :D

I'm digging holes, all right...but I'm doing it to let the sun shine through.

:confused:

'The balloon's icing up, and we're losing altitude! Crawl up there with the acetylene blowtorch, Higgins, and see if you can dislodge some of it. No, you can't take off the clown suit--you'll blow our cover. While you're up there, I'll check our coordinates with this bright orange sextant...ah, excellent! That city up ahead should be Baghdad. Higgins--don't get that torch too close to the balloon, or you'll catch us on fire. That would look odd--a giant flaming Bozo head. Good, we're leveling off. Now get back down here and help me arm the warhead. I'll bet the bastards won't see this coming!'

Today's daily zen: 'What does silence sound like?'

This zen is more of a practical experiment. See if you can hear absolutely nothing. :D Use of earplugs is not cheating, or even a soundproof room if you have access to one.

Hello darkness, my old friend

I've come to talk with you again

Because a vision softly creeping

Left its seeds while I was sleeping

And the vision that was planted in my brain

Still remains, within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone

Narrow streets of cobblestone

'Neath the halo of a street lamp

I turned my collar to the cold and damp

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light

That split the night and touched the sound of slience...

(Lyrics by Simon & Garfunkel, obviously... ;))

That song is my friend's favorite (and one of mine as well) - we once played a tape of just that and "I am a Rock" over and over all the way to see an O's baseball game (about a 45 minute drive). It was awesome. When we got to downtown Baltimore, we were pulled over by a cop, because my friend had a "club" in his back seat (you know, one of those steering wheel locking devcies), because the cop though it was a machine gun. That was awesome too.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

my friend had a "club" in his back seat (you know, one of those steering wheel locking devcies),

My friend Tyrus proved on an unlucky SOB that wouldnt shut up that those can be easily used to dislodge someones knee from its joint.

That can be done with a pool stick as well, and the stick has longer reach. When using the point on a pool stick (which can be deadly if used forcefully enough) one can deliver a decent thrust up to fifteen feet away from one's starting point...and the weighted end is just stout enough that one can flip it over and knock even a samoan crank addict unconscious with one good whack on the noggin.

Not based on a true story. :rolleyes:

Today's daily zen? :D Why yes...behold:

'Where were you the moment before you were conceived?'

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit

Use of earplugs is not cheating, or even a soundproof room if you have access to one.

I've been in the anechoic chamber they have at the Bose factory, which is as close to total silence as any human is ever going to get without being deaf. It's a strange sensation. It's the only time you can hear the true sound of your voice inside your head only, with almost no reflections bouncing at you from outside surfaces. If you speak and put your hand in front of your face you can suddenly hear the sound waves bouncing off your hand.

On that same tour I went into a room where they were torture testing speakers. There were at least 200 speakers mounted in this concrete bunker being played as loud as they go, continually, until they blow up. We needed 2 different types of hearing protection to go in there, and we could only stay a few seconds at a time, for fear that the constant sound pressure may cause other physiological damage to our bodies.

Archived