Home

Daily Zen Hip-hop Jamboree

Zoom Rabbit

I do have to say, there is a lot of Rap that does suck, and even me, a Rap fan, has no liking for whatsoever. But there is good rap out there. The problem with recent Rap music is this: most rappers rap about the same things: how nice their cars are, how much money they have, how many girls they get, etc..., it gets redundant after a while. I like rappers who have something else to say besides the things I metioned above.

And while Rap remains my favorite type of music, I do not limit myself to only Rap. Give me a good Van Morrison album to listen to any day and I'll be fine.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rogue Nine

Show me a rap song that doesn't concern money, women or some other sexual connotation, "gangstas" or cars and I'll consider listening to it. That about eliminates 95% of the genre.

See any album by one of the following: Run DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Black Eye Peas, Dilated Peoples, Gang Starr.

And those are just for starters.

Originally posted by Rogue Nine

Show me a rap song that doesn't concern money, women or some other sexual connotation, "gangstas" or cars and I'll consider listening to it. That about eliminates 95% of the genre.

Show me a rap song that us crackahs can decipher.

I'm not talkng about their antics, I was talking ablout their music. They are not the first group and certainly won't be the last for getting into to trouble over sexual exploits. Jim Morrison got arrested in New Haven, CT for allegedly showing his penis on stage, and I still consider him a musician.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

True, but then again, the same applies to opera (you are, in fact, far less likely to understand that, unless you speak German or Italian). And I know you would not be so foolish as to say opera sucks. RIGHT? ;)

When something is sung in a different language, then I expect not to understand it, and don't mind. Now Rap is sung in english and I still can't understand it, then there is a problem.

Besides, Opera sounds good, and Rap sounds like ****.

And those antics that DMC did shows just how sick they are.

Originally posted by Kylilin

I was talking ablout their music

Rap is not music.

RAP:

Function: noun

Date: 1967

1 : TALK, CONVERSATION; also : a line of talk : PATTER

2 a : a rhythmic chanting often in unison of usually rhymed couplets to a musical accompaniment b : a piece so performed

rap as much music as a movie is. they both have musical ACCOMPANIMENT but aren't music themselves. If i stood on my porch screaming to a rhythm while Rob Zombie's Dead Girl Superstar played from a radio next to me, i'd technically be rapping and NO ONE would think that's music.

Also operas have survived several hundred years in some cases. I doubt in 2392 anyone will be listening to DMX.

Also operas have survived several hundred years in some cases. I doubt in 2392 anyone will be listening to DMX

You can doubt all you like, but you don't know if that will be the case or not, for all we know, in the year 2392, midget donkeys could be running the earth. The certainty of either situation is about the same.

And Nute may have a point there, that Rap has musical accompaniment, and what it is is really spoken word/poetry set to music. But, whether you like it or not, to me Rap is music, and there is nothing you can say or do to persuade me otherwise. Just as I can't persuade any of you to agree with my opinions.

And those antics that DMC did shows just how sick they are

Yeah, like they are the first people to get fined for doing something sick on stage.

cheese.

and yes, Rap "music" is not music. it's crap. rap is simply Crap wiothout the C. you can't understand it, and honestly, why would anyone listen to other sing or "rap" about sexual exploits or how he got them (cencored) with a 9MM in da hood. no, i like my music have a rather different tone.

I enjoy opera. and Big band jazz and swing. and New Orleans blues, and classical.

Originally posted by Cmdr. Cracken

you can't understand it,

Maybe YOU can't understand it because you grew up in some Suburban/Rural town. I grew up in the city, and some of what people Rap about I know about from my own experiences. I also understand the slang that is used besides the ENGLISH that is spoken on these songs.

I enjoy opera. and Big band jazz and swing. and New Orleans blues, and classical. [/b]

As do I, I just happen to enjoy Rap more.

Originally posted by Kylilin

IJim Morrison got arrested in New Haven, CT for allegedly showing his penis on stage, and I still consider him a musician.

Showing off ones codpiece and having 8 complete strangers perform a gangbang aren't exactly the same thing. Jim Morrison alos got fined for profanity in public. Flea has played on stage wearing nothing but a tube sock before

The fact they (Not all rappers mind you) talk about REAL issues is bad? So if they talk about drug dealers and shootings and other things they've seen is bad? A lot of people music styles do it. Country, opera and other music styles.

Also just because don't understand it it's not music? I don't understand some punk music. Does that mean it's not music? I don't think they need to yell and piss in the crowd. Does that mean it's not music? Music is anything that that has a beat. That sound the keyboard makes when you type can be music. Rap is music.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

Rap is not music.

RAP:

Function: noun

Date: 1967

1 : TALK, CONVERSATION; also : a line of talk : PATTER

2 a : a rhythmic chanting often in unison of usually rhymed couplets to a musical accompaniment b : a piece so performed

Anywhere is the definition of Rap do you see, musical style in it, nope............dictionaries are the rock to your scissors....

Archived