Home

here's one that many can relate to

Cookie3118

Ok, I know most people of the Mix'n'Mojo community aren't too keen on that JA+ site and its bastarized view of the MI series. But one of the writers put together one of the most hilarious and, unfortunately, fairly accurate (eh, sometimes) "articles". For every adventure gamer...please check this out, I think it's worth the few minutes reading. enjoy

http://www.justadventure.com/articles/SeriouslyWhacked/SW_Apr26_2002.shtm

I usually manage to avoid using too many hints. One or two per game seems to be my average. I'm usually pretty annoyed when I find out the answer to my problem, as it tends to be a hunt-the-pixel type problem, and I never hunted the right pixel. Maybe it's sour grapes, but I tend to blame poor puzzle design.

Unfortunately, genuinely good puzzle design, with logical predictable outcomes is rare in adventure games. I loved Grim Fandango, in part, because as soon as you come up with the right solution in your head, you are absolutely sure it will work in the game, because it fits so perfectly. That's why I completed it without a walkthrough, even though I would class some of the puzzles as pretty hard.

I do recognize the behaviour shown in the article, though. I remember when playing Zak McKracken I was nearing the end and I got stuck. I looked at a walkthrough, and after that I couldn't stop myself using the walkthrough for almost every other puzzle in the game even though I was only mildly stuck.

Walkthroughs are addictive.

Archived