Home

Want to become a Jedi? Read this for Jedi questions.

Wraith 8

After reading this thread, you still want to become a Jedi?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. After reading this thread, you still want to become a Jedi?

• YES! Im not afraid! (you will be. You will be) :yoda:
    • I guess so. dont know. (See threw you we can) :syoda:
    • Nope. No way. (Afraid are you?) :rhett:
    • I wasnt planning on becoming a Jedi. (hmmmm. A wise choice.) :yodaball:

Good day all.

We had numerous threads on the SWGalaxies forum that indicated that there are a lot of "JEDI WANNABEES". i dont think this is a bad thing, i only hope all of them know what you are doing and getting yourself into.

Now some of us have posted things in threads that asked for Jedi info, and most of those times it got to the same thing over and over again. So Gavor, me and some others had the idea to make a Jedi Thread. so you all can see what we know about Jedi and how it is going to be according to Devs, Mods and members.

All the information below are stated by members of these forums. the name of the person who stated them is above the text.

The information you are about to read was collected by a member of the SWGalaxies forums: Gavor

---------------------------------------------------

Posted by MikeC

I've been saying for a long time that Vader and his imp enforcers are going to be the balance for Jedi. I think there will also be a lot of players who will keep jedi down by hunting them (possibly in gangs). They may want to kill Jedi for a bounty offered by the imperials or just for bragging rights.

Gavor: This has become commonly accepted. Vader will be out for your Jedi head 24/7. Bounty Hunters will probably figure here too, auto bounties may be posted. Read on for more info...

Posted by Kiyamon

The developers have made it clear the being a Jedi is going to be very rare...they say maybe 3-5% or even less of the people playing the game will be Jedi. And once one becomes force sensitive (which will be different

for every player and character) you will basically have to dedicate all your time on being Jedi because if you dont, you can loose your force sensitivity. Jedi's will also be hunted down by Bobba-Fett, IQ-88, and other famous NPC (non-player controlled) bounty hunters. Oh also you will be haunted down by Darth Vader. The Devs have described the life of a Jedi as laborious but very rewarding. In addition I don't think anybody but a Jedi can use a lightsaber and if you are a Jedi you will be more powerful if you create your own saber.

Gavor: It says somewhere that other people can use a lightsaber, but very badly. They won't be able to service it either so eventually it'll fall apart.

Posted by Morat20

My personal viewpoint is that once you trigger the Jedi Quest (however initial force sensitivity works) is that what you do from that point onwards is logged. Jedi are so vital and integral a part of the universe that potential Jedi candidates are going to be screened.

Now, they won't read your comments and move line-by-line, they don't have the personel to do it for the 100 or so Jedi per server.

But they'll look for trends in your behavoir. The fights you get into, the things your character does. To see if you fit the mold, so to speak.

But I think that's just at first. To more often than not somewhat customize your quest. To keep it unique.

But to keep being a Jedi, well...

You see, there's a particular type of Jedi that this time span requires. Discreet. Quite.

Hiding.

You flaunt the skills of a Jedi, and as MikeC said, you come to the attention of Vader.

And not only that, but the very large standing bounty on information leading to the capture or death of a Jedi.

I would hope, actually, that the path to become a Jedi requires long quests. Not the 30 minutes to 2 hour "normal" quests, or even the longer 12 to 14 hour "themepark" quests. But several 10 or more hour quests.

One to find your teacher, your Holocron, or old books. One to learn the skills. One to gather the parts for your lightsaber. One to test yourself as a Jedi.

To make you put weeks of effort, if not months, into creating a character you care about, so that, dark or light, you're not going to lose it by showing off, or ganking people for fun.

Gavor: Some great points made here. Not only will it be hard to become a jedi, it will require more than just a trip to the local dungeon and some high level monster kills to remain a jedi. From all accounts it'll take patience, thought and restraint. Not for the average dungeon crawler.

Posted by MikeC

Its downright funny to see all these jedi and dark jedi PAs popping up. So often I've wanted to smack some of these people upside the head and tell them to go play Jedi Outcast if they want to be a Jedi that bad.

Wraith 8: He is right. How do you know you will BECOME force sensitive and start a PA about it.

Gavor: Hehe. They'll be crying into mamma's skirts when they can't find the 'Jedi' button.

Posted by Gavor

You can't show other people how to become Jedi and therefore build a huge secret jedi army.

It doesnt work that way so just put that bit outta your mind. I assume to become a Jedi you will be sent all over the galaxy fulfilling missions and quests, not sitting around in some training facility.

Posted by MikeC

There is no process to give. It is unique every time. The game's developers have said a path will only be available once and then change. We don't know any specifics yet on just what the process will be.

Posted by Gavor

I get the feeling the numbers really will be kept down, and in two ways.

1. Everyone has a CHANCE to become a jedi, but that chance is incredibly small by all reports. 3-5% of 3000 is 90-150 people out of 3000. To me that sounds quite reasonable.

You'll first have to become force sensitive through a random series of events that you'll never be able to replicate(or so the devs hope). Then you have to train and train, this lead to....

2. Being a Jedi is for the dedicated and serious player. I doubt you'll see 'I am a rockz0r j3di master w00t w00t' too often. Or maybe you will, then you'll get to see that person stomped on by bounty hunters, dark jedi etc. It's only a guess, but my opinion is the devs will make it a long, hard path that calls for a lot of patience and adherence to strict rules. Being a jedi is a not a path of excitement and adventure.

Being a Jedi is still something for everyone to aspire to, I just think a lot of people will be surprised by what they think Jedi are and what the truth turns out to be. They'll be hunted and killed ceaselessly if they dont take vigorous precautions. The path will be long and hard. I know most people will be saying 'oh thats fine, as long as i can be a jedi!' I have an inkling that not how it'll turn out once the game is released.

Posted by Setsuko

"why do you think they'll be hunted every 20 seconds"

Because the little we've read from the developers says that it will be pretty damn long from a breeze to play a jedi. That it won't be a cool party trick add-on to your character, as you seem to think of it ("yeah, I'll be a bounty hunting mercenary, that is a jedi too!").

And if it I going to be so hard, then it is not strange that people speculate in WHICH WAY it will be so hard.

Theory A:

It will be freaking hard to become jedi

Theory B:

It will be freaking hard to keep on being a jedi

I think a combination of the two is to be expected. And if it would be so easy to hide your abilities that you simply don't flaunt your lightsaber everywhere, then why does the dev's say it will be hard? They, if anyone, should know...

And well, most jedi in the movies could sense other person strong in the force for miles...

why wouldn't it happen in the game? There's a reason Yoda hid on the most isolated swamp planet he could find...

Gavor: This makes sense. In the timeframe of the game there are very few jedi and they're all on the run or hiding from Vader. There's no Jedi academy, there's no Jedi council. It's not a life of power and prestige. They're not even keepers of the peace anymore.

Posted by Gavor

However, you can't just start studying The Force and become a jedi. You'll have to hope you're lucky enough to become force sensitive. Even if you are I don't think most people will have the patience to train or the fortitude to be one once they realise its not all beer and pretzels.

Posted by Gaalgoth

Posted by Vicious

Before anyone says "you wont become a jedi, only 1 out of 1000000000 people will be a jedi" I say to you "I play the high level EQ game, I will do what it takes no matter what it requires, just the same as what EQ requires for high level raids"

No no no no no no no no NO! You people just don't get it, do you? First off this isn't EQ. It doesn't matter how much or how hard you play, that won't help you be a jedi! It's the proper skill choice and very very rare. This isn't EQ, becoming a Jedi is not the same thing as being high level. Sorry guy, but it's not. You can't choose to become force sensitive, and setting your heart on the possibility will only end in heart break.

Posted by Wraith 8

To all of you who want to be a Jedi:

believe me that everybody wants to be a jedi in some way, even I would like an orange bladed lightsaber and help the rebellion against the Empire and all.

But read this thread and realize that it is gonna be very, very, very , very hard to become and STAY a Jedi. first of all, how in the name of the Sith are you going to be sure that you will be force sensitive. you dont know until you played the game for at least a week. and then become one without being killed by Vader or bounty hunters.

Im just giving you one advice here: take on another job just to be sure. oh and if you realy, realy, realy want to be a Jedi... i suggest you pray you will be.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now before al you guy and girls start to become angry at our advice and leave us. PLease tell us what you think. and why you think you will succeed or wont. and if any of you have any more advice, tips, tricks, cheats or info, please post them here.

Thank you for your time.

-Wraith 8-

I would like to thank the following for giving their advize:

MikeC, Setsuko, Morat20, Kiyamon, Gaalgoth and especially Gavor for looking up all this info. :D

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whaaa, that was a nice chaotic post you posted there Wraith! :)

I'm not really planning on becoming a jedi but if, by some twist of fate, I do get the chance to become a jedi I'll give it a try. But it will indeed be very hard to stay on the right path because you have this great power as a jedi; but you can't use it! Because if you do all those bounty hunters and vader-wannabees will find out about you and find you and kill you 200 times over.

See it like this: You play Unreal tournament; you find a rocket launcher but you can only use the lousy pistol, because if you don't every player in the match can kill you in 1 shot.

Sounds frustrating, doesn't it? Well, that's the way being a jedi will be, you can only use the 'rocket-launcher' (jedi-powers) in situations where you are certain that noone will find out (or at least not your most feared adversaries).

Only when you are at peace with yourself and your situation can you become a jedi; you must restrain yourself from using the force everytime. 'You must learn patience'

For alot of 'unreal-type' players this will be hard, so only the players that are dedicated and carefull will survive to become jedi.

Just my 2 cents

Sounds like an excellent system, glad to see that there's a genuine roleplay drive behind the game mechanics, and that as a loyal servant of the empire (my goal is to aspire to my forum name...) I won't have to deal with too many Jedi...

On the other hand if I become force sensitive I might just try for the light path after all...

:DYES YES YES :D

Excellent news - I was really worried about this u know. Now I know that being a Jedi is going to be realistic and really damn tough I'm really up for trying to play one. I havent played the RPG so can u explain to me about force sensitivity please?

:atat:

:fett:

:deathii:

Also, does this imply that Darth Vader may go easy on Dark Jedi (and the bounties will be fewer on these types as they are handy blokes to know if you are a crimelord, imperial sympethiser etc, etc?)

hmmm... so if u become force sensitive, u have to use the force to remain force sensitive but if u use the force u'll be slaughtered? or are there ways to improve ur force sensitivity and become a jedi without being chased by all bounty hunters... i would like it that way... that u can be a jedi but can't tell anyone and that sometimes, if ur careful enough, u can use the force and surprise all who surround u (friends etc. cause else ur bantha poodoo :fett: ) anyway, i think i will like being a bounty hunter hunting down jedi.... only hope that if i have a char that becomes force sensitive, it wont be him :D

To me this post seems to be out to scare people from becoming a Jedi... I did, and still do, want to become a Jedi on SWG. Sure, it'll be hard, but I think the devoted ones will become Jedis. After all, everyone has the chance. Thankfully it's not luck.. Like your playing and a little popup appears that says "You have the chance to be a Jedi! Congratulations!". That's the only thing that's worse than what its at now.

I'm glad to see that there will be few Jedi, so that the ones who are Jedis get the respect they deserve (and once we play SWG, we'll see how much respect they actually do deserve!).

Being hunted all the time? Well, if they are the real-deal Jedis, they can handle it. There will be so few, the ones that are Jedis will be "l33t h4xx0rs" though they will not brag about it.

And like you said, the ones that do brag, will die. That's a good thing too.. If I try to become a Jedi and fail, I don't want some jedi walking around shoving it in my face.

I personally dont think it will entail of several 10 hour missions like you suggested, but saying that, I cant figure out how they are going to do it. The reason I say it wont be several of these mamouth missions is that in the FAQ's on starwarsgalaxies.com, one of the guys says that jedi status will be acheivable by the casual gamer, not just the hardcore ones, so god knows what they mean. I wouldnt have thought the casual gamer would play several 10 hour missions.

I have been hoping that they would use an RP-based system, but my worry is that regardless of my drive to become a Jedi, I just won't become force sensitive. Ah well, I hope there are at least some guidelines they have for how to do that unique combination of events without accidentally screwing up.

Just to clear it up, I wanted to collect all this info together so people would know as much as we know. There's been a lot of discussion about Jedi in the forums and we've come up with what we think will the model for becoming a Jedi. These conclusions were reached after the afore mentioned discussions, reading the FAQ, reading other material around the net, interpreting comments from the devs etc.

I don't want to dicourage anyone from being a Jedi, I'd just like everyone to be realistic. If a newbie has a central source of information, they can join the forums as an informed member and other members won't have to answer the same Jedi questions over and over. It's all about making us an informed group, informed is empowered.

I know a lot of people come along wanting to be a Jedi and nothing else but if that were possible then the game world wouldn't be very realistic. If that's ALL you want, go play multiplayer Jedi Outcast for a while, then come back to SWG and play it as intended, it's an RPG, not an FPS.

To everyone who says they'll be a dedicated Jedi and play it as it should be played, good for you. :) I mean that, some have said they don't want d00d Jedi strutting around and getting 'in their face' and that's what the system is working to avoid. I don't agree that Jedi will be '733t h4X0rs', I believe they'll be the smart gamers. I really hope those of you who intend to dedicate the attention and roleplaying a Jedi position deserves, get the chance to become a Jedi.

Lastly, a casual gamer can become force sensitive. I think thats what the FAQ is trying to say. To become a powerful jedi will probably require lots of work and persistence. It's like any other profession, you need to work on your skills to get better at it. And you'll probably have to drop your existing profession and concentrate solely on being a Jedi. Jedi have their own skill tree and I would imagine it also involves some special events/missions.

Be happy! :max:

i think the jedi wannabees didnt read the thread at all.. the last thing i stated is.: how in blazing hell do you know that you are gonna BE force sensitive?? have you played the game already?? you got contact with the devs? are you the dev himself? got cheatcodes?

You dont choose to become force sensitive. the system does... so how can you so boldy say... IM GONNA BE A JEDI? i think that is arrogant... sorry if i flipped my top... but i ..... *sighs* sorry if i offended anyone with this.... i just say.... think of another professian first.. and when you find out your force sensitive... then ill shake your hands give you food and all throw a party for the entire planet.... but please... proofe it to me that it is so....

i have spoken :D

-Wraith 8-

Oh, I got 1 question though...where does it say that you need to be lucky to become a jedi? That you need to choose a certain path of skills to become 'force sensitive'? I have not seen it anywhere (didn't look either :) ), but you guys really seem certain that it works that way.

Well I haven't seen the statement "Force Sensitive" at all in the FAQ. But I trust their words. No one did say you have to be lucky... I'm guessing that during your character's progress you will be given the chance to become a Jedi. Though it won't be direct (a message pops up), but it'll be there.

It won't be luck. They did say everyone has the chance. Oh sure, everyone has the chance IF YOU GET LUCKY? No, everyone has the chance.

Heh... I'm sure being a Bounty Hunter isn't a walk in the park.. And I'll laugh if you get hired to hunt out a Jedi. Odds are he'll slice your head off. Well, only if that's part of the "Jedi Code".

"Thou shalt not kill Bounty Hunters... Just torture them a little."

LOL I can picture an NPC hiring you to kill Darth Vader.

I applaud Verant's method of Jedi selection, and I hope they make it hard as all hell. I hope that tons of people have their hopes crushed when they realize they arent force sensitive. I hope they make a level or time limit before you can realize if you are sensitive or not, so people can't just make tons of L1 chars until they land a Jedi.

I was not planning on being a Jedi. I have played a healer class in every MMORPG to date, and it had always been the role that fit me the best. I plan to do so again in SWG. If by some off chance, my character is force sensitive, then I will follow that path, but only temporarily. I will work to become a Jedi, and follow the calling, but eventually I will allow my force sensitivity to fade, and vanish. I will do this for character sake, because unlike the masses, I role play in these online role playing games. I will be able to be a medic type, of some decent age, and be able to say "I was a Jedi once..."

This post inspires confidence in me, that the few Jedi in the galaxy will be properly trained by the rigorous ordeal they must endure.

-Abs

:fett::deathstar Bounty Hunting in MY opinion is by far the best and interesting job. now if my character becomes force attuned then sure Id be a Jedi but I dont really have the goal of becoming a Jedi like some unrealistic dreamers... Anyway I for one will be the first to laugh in these Jedi wannabes faces when they cry and whine about how they "cant be a Jedi" Boo-Hoo.....:rolleyes::D

Archived