Home

Want to become a Jedi? Read this for Jedi questions.

Wraith 8

After reading this thread, you still want to become a Jedi?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. After reading this thread, you still want to become a Jedi?

• YES! Im not afraid! (you will be. You will be) :yoda:
    • I guess so. dont know. (See threw you we can) :syoda:
    • Nope. No way. (Afraid are you?) :rhett:
    • I wasnt planning on becoming a Jedi. (hmmmm. A wise choice.) :yodaball:

Oh wait this isn't EQ! my ogre text has no place... or Is it EQ? the one thing Verant knowns that probably the most people will want to be, is going to be the one thing that is near impossible to be without dedication and months of game time (this = $10-$15 a month from all jedi hopefuls).

sure I don't want herds of Jedi raoming the galaxie either... or L37T DOODZ hopping on bar counters sabering the stools to show off exclaiming they are in the master Jedi mastah guild and are reqruiting and everyone else Suxx0rs.

however as Talain put it... it's not the challegne or the role playing that bothers me either... it's the odds... and the virtual randomness with which it sounds like being even a Padawan would be.

I see it this way... Maybe only around 90-150 players on a server will be Jediknight level? Like if this was episode one, we'd have only 90-150 qui gonn jinns, running around... even less yoda's... but a small flock of obi wans, and a butt load of adepts and initiates and sensitives. (in decending order of course)

so rightfully so LEC, and verant can say only 3-5% will be full fledged Jedi. the rest will be Padawans, adepts, initiates, and sensitives. Each ranks step will be harder than the last, the rewards worth it... each step will be random in some way to ensure no hint guides can go up telling you what mob to kill to get your saber for example or the lightning holocron.

most of the Jedi hopefulls should be able to make it too initiate without pulling our hair out. but as soon as we get to adept we start worrying... the dedicated will make it to padawan (might be like hitting 50 in EQ, but only by doing it without power leveling).

Making Jedi knight would be like completing your class specific epic quest but again made so you can't do it in a power gamer fashion. (for example, if you play EQ how many SK's do you see with Innoruks curse weapons? Sure some would argue it's not the best but's it's a status symbol for all SK's over 55 that I know... and only a few of them have it. and one of them uses it)

Thus only a handfull would exist by comparison. And the masters might be the handful that make it to 60 with the epic, and have the new alt advancement thing that comes with luclin totaly complete as well...

I don't think the server should have a LIMIt of official jedi ranked players... but steps should be taken to make it so these number will not grow disproportunately.

the opinion of a LOT of ex/current EQ players, and a LOt of people who want to play as a Jedi in SWG is this: If I can never even be a padawan, even a wimpy one without some stroke of luck, and lots of dedication... I won't buy this game...

I feel similarly. I know someone will say I'm nut's but to me being a Jedi is what SW is all about. sure I love the rest of the universe (well what I know of it I like that is hehe), but the allure of SW for me is the Jedi. It would be my reason for wanting to try the game in the first place. Now the game has awesome graphics to be sure... the setting is intense... the size of the game universe is mind boggling (8 planets minimum at launch, each planet with as many zones as all of EQ? WOW! I mean seriously WOW!!! It sounds like running into a single Player character will be rare as hell though heheh... like "HELLLOOOOO ANYBODY ON TATOOINE!?" guess not... "I'm gonna be camping the westernhemisphere, specifically jaba's palace!, if anyone is there say so now... or would you like a level 30 druid jedi with sow in your group?)

however I plan on buying the game. and playing it for the free trial period. I dunno if I need to spend an extra $10+ a month since I Play EQ (is sony going to be running the acounts like it does for EQ? or will sony not be in the loop? Or will playing Eq be ok since Verant made that?)

Anyway after the free month, one way or the other (Ie I manage to start on the Jedi trail or not), I will evaluate the game. Look at it from the angle of being a Jedi, and not being one... and if my socks arn't comepletely dislogded from my feet in some ocupation besides being a Jedi... I will either get bored and quit to play neocron/eq/jkii more like I did before... or give it a few more months to get my interest back.

I COULd live without being a Jedi, but only if I can find something I would like almost as much as that... and so far... I got no clue... excpet maybe being some kind of captain of a ship that people can hire out, like a han solo character without the han solo part. But if I know verant and the MMORPG mentality, they will make getting your own ship, even a dinky one nearly impossible... Like it is on EQ to get a horse... 10K platinum for a horse is more platinum than I could make hunting solo ten hours a day for three weeks at my current level (33)... and thus only ones with ships in SWG might be uber people, which would suck... I feel that any character in SWG over the equivalent of level 25 in EQ should be able to afford buying a ship from either another player, or maybe from NPc's or hell.. maybe even building one somehow. to me having your own ship will be as important to some people as becoing a Jedi would be to me... so I hope they don't make that hard as well...

Bah this post is too long... I voted I will try to be one anyway and I'm not afraid to give it all I got. But this is just a game, and I won't drive myself nuts if I can't be one... I'll either settle for being a gun runner with a dinky frieghter, or quit cuz I can't even do that hehehe.

I mean hell it's not like if I manage to have the patience to be a Jedi in SWG and actually make that rank that there will be a knock on my door and yoda will be standing there with a signed personalized invitation to join the jedi academy in real life. Ie the challenge of being a Jedi in SWG might make me feel like one if I make it, at least in a role playing sense.

However I won't put super monumental effort in, that will most likely amount to nothing if I don't get it, and I will still have bills to pay in real life and I don't get to at least be able to mentaly summon a beer from the firdge or somehting or even do that in game to cheer me up about the 16hour shift I just worked for peanuts...

the point is... I really hope that when they say only 3-5% will be jedi, they mean the rest who want to try for it will usualy get stuck at the uppper padawan levels or somewhere below that (but still have the ability to be Very Jedi Like in action) and find enough fulfilment in that level of Jediness to not want to risk the effort or chance of detrimental failure to make Jedi knight.

Otherwise if they make being a Jedi such a shot in the dark experience... SWG is going to have at first a wonderful and profitable opening. Then next thing Verant and LEC knows... it will lose 50% of it's paying customers, and less people will sign up every day... Simply because the word will be out that it is proven that being a Jedi is not only too hard to even start, but too hard to continue once you start it...

for the non jedi lovers this sits perfectly with them... to he jedi lovers this sits on rocky terrain. no Jedi wants to see lots of Jedi, we all want to earn it unlike how it is in all other games... we don't want to start at character creation and pick from: storm trooper, bantha fodder, wookie butt kicking machine, and finaly Jedi and then poof we're a Jedi...

Heck no... however... what we really mean is... we want to be Jedi, without much hassel... but make it hard enough so that people who only want it for the uber loot, or something won't get it... We want it to be special... trust me... But we don't want to feel ripped off. honestly even if VERANT and LEC send out representatives to every gameing store in the world, who where on staff at all hours telling customers you couldn't be a Jedi very easily in SWG. even those people who know this is a fact will feel ripped off when they have been playing for two years and never once became sensitive let alone Jedi...

See my point?

i say more force for all, but make Jedi knights and masters as rare as they say...

Oh well whats one tiny little voice in a sea of voices going to do but waste bandwidth? Blah...

anyone agree?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

99% of people at least secretly want to be jedi, its just that some people are more realistic than others, and have planned their careers, assuming they will never come close to force sensitivity. I don't have any problem at all with jedi wannabes, I used to be one myself, they are usually people who are completely new to the game, and who are just finding their feet with Galaxies. Of course I would love to be a jedi, but I am going to start off as a droid builder, and probably move on to ship building by the time the expansion is out.

I dont think the people who slag off people who are aspiring to become jedi are very clever though. You get the impression that a minority have a real attitude problem, and almost feel 'superior' to those who dream about becoming jedi. Theres nothing wrong with dreaming, its whats got us to where we are today after all...

I think most people who play sw galaxies will be real star wars fans, sure they'd like to be a jedi if the oppurtunity arrises, but who won't quit the game if it doesn't they'll just seek out another profession... Me for instance, if i get a force sensitive character that has the chance to be a jedi, ok i will give it my best shot, if not, i'll be more than happy to be a bounty hunter that kicks padawan ass :)

What are the advantages of being a jedi anyway??

To become a jedi will be a long and hard road and when you reach your destination, you cant use your powers in public. Will you have to live in some unpopulated area and lift stone's all day, waitong for a bounty hunter to come by, kill him and move to another place before others find out youre there??

im planning on becoming a rebel pilot and if I become force sensitive I will follow my calling, if only to brag about it to my friends IRL :D

Originally posted by Unini

What are the advantages of being a jedi anyway??

To become a jedi will be a long and hard road and when you reach your destination, you cant use your powers in public. Will you have to live in some unpopulated area and lift stone's all day, waitong for a bounty hunter to come by, kill him and move to another place before others find out youre there??

im planning on becoming a rebel pilot and if I become force sensitive I will follow my calling, if only to brag about it to my friends IRL :D

maybe that if ur uberjedi u can kick ass without fear of redemption.....

Originally posted by Wraith 8

uhm just a question to you... are you from the netherlands?? sneek???? cause that is where im from :D

Yep, sneek, friesland, netherlands.

Snake/Sneek, all the same :D

Waar precies woonde je dan??

Ik woon in het Zwetteplan

Yep, sneek, friesland, netherlands.

Snake/Sneek, all the same :D

Waar precies woonde je dan??

Ik woon in het Zwetteplan

Cool man.. never ever thought i meet someone on the forums from my hometown :D

Ik woon in Duinterpen 3.. nieuwste gedeelte.. ik woon er bijna 2 jaar nu.

Originally posted by Jedi Apprentice

If you want to be one so bad and you cant in Galaxies, just wait a few months for Knights of the Old Republic. Also a sweet game where you WILL be a jedi.(if you chose so)

or jedi knight, dark forces 2, outcast, yoda stories :p, The phantom menace and all of those :D

He, daar ga ik vlak bij in de buurt naar school, Friese Poort afdeling techniek :)

He, daar ga ik vlak bij in de buurt naar school, Friese Poort afdeling techniek :)

ja dat is bij die grote brug.... ik weet niet eens de naam :D rij ik wel eens langs met de interliner. hoe oud ben je?

or jedi knight, dark forces 2, outcast, yoda stories :p, The phantom menace and all of those :D

especially jedi knight2: outcast... the multyplayer rules, like throwing people of things :)

ok guys.. i was looking at the swgalaxies page.... info on jedi's... yes we were right guys... there is force sensitive:

unknown asks: Why don't you guys release anything about the Jedis?

Shug_Ninx says: We want Jedi to be rare and mysterious, so we don't want to reveal how to become a Jedi, what it's like being a Jedi, etc. We can say that becoming Force sensitive is really the most secretive part of the system. Once you become a Jedi, progression is similar to other professions

Archived