Home

Want to become a Jedi? Read this for Jedi questions.

Wraith 8

After reading this thread, you still want to become a Jedi?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. After reading this thread, you still want to become a Jedi?

• YES! Im not afraid! (you will be. You will be) :yoda:
    • I guess so. dont know. (See threw you we can) :syoda:
    • Nope. No way. (Afraid are you?) :rhett:
    • I wasnt planning on becoming a Jedi. (hmmmm. A wise choice.) :yodaball:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JediGhost[sITH]

I can't wait for some guy to release a "How to become Force Sensitive FAQ" and you know someone will.

Ghost, are you dense or do you just not read? Becoming force sensitive will be different every time for every character. We have been told this since the beginning, and it has been mentioned on this page alot. I believe it is even on the sticky. No two characters will become force sensitive in the same way, so there will never be an faq as to how to become force sensitive.

Any idea(s) of how this will be?

The distribution of "skill points"? Where your character lives? The things you say? Species doesn't matter. The way you act? The weapon you carry?

No one knows how it works, right? So how can you tell me that someone couldn't write a FAQ on it :)

Because, Ghost, the devs said that becoming force sensitive will be unique to each player. The process will always be different and never the same. This means that no one can write a faq. While the devs have not released specifics, and they probably (hopefully) never will, they have said that the process will be different each time so that no faq guides can be created.

look... JediGhost[sITH] ..... it is obvious you wont listen to good advice..

i just have a question for you.

do you read articles of the game? read the entire FAQ? read posts of DEvs and members?

a lot of people here have done ALL that.. i do every day.. and i browse the net for new info almost every day. now lets say that about 10 to 20 people here already told you like a 100 times how it is gonna be.. or something like what we said... and they all read up stuff. now.. most other Jedi wanna bees (for lack of a better word) have hardly struggled back and accepted some of the thruths.. but you go against 20 people with GOOD advice...

but.. if you dont want to listen to advice... that is ok...

(here i go again :D) show me that you will be a Jedi. show me your skills. prove me.... us wrong in game... and we will throw a party for you.. or at least i will :D

i wish you luck on your quest... and in your case.... and i do hope for you it is... may the Force be with you!

Must....resist....temptation...to.....wade into.....jedi debate...again.

Adventure, huh, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things.

Be careful you Jedi wannabe's, you might just find being a Jedi is not what you think.

sure maybe they don't crave those things, but all the evidance goes to show that adventure and excitement find them ;)

Anyway to dispense for just a moment with the hubbub about how hard or random it will be to become even force sensitive...

I would like to state that I highly doubt being a JKedi would be boring or lacking in adventure and exciteent.

Nowhere does it say you have to hide in a little cave or a little hut somewhere, and practice your force powers by lifting rocks or X-wing figters into the air or somehting...

They simply state that if you flaunt that your a Jedi too often in public, bad things CAN happen.

Remember however this is a MMROPG. the worst thing they would do to you is make you lose some EXP or skills or something. Also never in a way you can't get back fairly easily either.

If they did well... I think they would have a lot of ticked of people on thier hands don't you?

The point is, As it always has been for me. I hope that being a Jedi is hard, but is also a reasonable goal for ALL players to achieve. not simply something everyone will get a "CHANCE" to do. but rather something that simply requires a little skill, and such.

I think what they are trying to get rid of is Power gaming your way to jedi mastery.

Maybe thats why they speculate so few people will make it to Jedi level.

i personaly feel that if they are smart they will make getting sensitive be a fairly common place thing. That it will have very limited effects (IE won't give you any real advantage).

However if you chose to drop what your doing (sort of,) and begin training somehow, you can reach initiate level. At that point you begin to see some perks of being a force user. Again nothing major. you might still feel more comfortable with a blaster than hoping to get a saber...

Then you get to adept. Poof now you "START" learning to use your saber effectively (think luke from TESB). But are still cannon fodder to equaly skilled blaster users, and any REAL Jedi.

Then comes padawan: Poof now you can use your saber at a level that is formidable. From this point on becoming a full fledged Jedi is all in how you play the cards you have been delt... and might be very hard to do.

For example look at Obi wan from EPI, Was he or wasn't he pretty tough for a padawan? Look at luke in the beginning of ROTJ, to me in this film he is a padawan about to embark on his final test (to confront vader).

So I think 3-5% of the server being Jedi is just a play on words maybe. Like yeah uhm only 3-5% will be full Jedi or above... the rest will either be normal folks, or sensitives up to Padawan level. the padawans being a LOT like Jedi, but just not as powerful maybe ETC. Thus Jedi wanabee's might be able to get to Padwan level without much torment... Oh well who knows... we'll all just have to wait till it comes out I guess... I just hope verant and LEC and all the rest learned from the mistakes they made from other games... and they made QUITE a few of them... Any EQ player above level 25 will agree to that I think...

*sighs deeply*

have you not listened to what i told you? hmm? (as yoda would have said) what your saying doesnt make sence... well.. i some way it does.. but your describing jedi to be like... oh i need a hobby lets try jedi.... this id on the main page... said by a DEV.

Surely an awful lot of people will want to be Jedi. How hard will it be to attain this status?

Jeff: It's going to be extremely difficult. Based on the continuity between Episode IV and Episode V, there aren't that many Jedi. On top of that there's the fact that the Empire is very worried about Jedi in general, and Darth Vader is tracking down all Jedi and wiping them out. So even if you become a Dark Jedi, you're still not safe from Vader. He'll still want to kill you just as much as if you were on the Light Side.

read em... and weap

I would like to state that I highly doubt being a JKedi would be boring or lacking in adventure and exciteent.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? Well what the movies show is all the fun parts, nott he long trials of training. V hinted at it, but it takes a long time to become a powerful jedi and the devs will make it that way. Jedi don't look for xcitement, either, they just protect when they are needed. They aren't "Roxxors" fighters that go around "owning all with their l337 skillz". There would be a lot of boredom as a jedi, unless you showed your skill in which place every bounty hunter would be on your ass, npc or player.

Ghost, we're normally pretty friendly, it's just that when people come in here when they have no idea as to what they're talking about and we correct them WITH PROOF and they continue to act like we don't know what we're talking about that we get pissy. Don't get all sour because we said you probably won't be a jedi; it's not that we don't want you to be one it's that you flat out probably won't become one.

Originally posted by Gaalgoth

Ghost, we're normally pretty friendly, it's just that when people come in here when they have no idea as to what they're talking about and we correct them WITH PROOF and they continue to act like we don't know what we're talking about that we get pissy. Don't get all sour because we said you probably won't be a jedi; it's not that we don't want you to be one it's that you flat out probably won't become one.

Gee, rain on his parade why dont ya. And he probly started getting sour when he made a reasonable comment about FAQ's concerning force sensitivity, and was called dense.

Now I know that the steps are suppose to be different for every one, but they havent specified what those steps are or in what direction can they be found. Will it be a particular skill combination, certain actions, or a mixture of both?

Well the exact combo may be different or unknown, but you can bet that there is going to be a FAQ about it. Remember, a FAQ is different then step by step intructions. Stands for Frequently Asked Questions remember.

Your wrong in calling him dense....cause I can promise you, his wishes will be granted someday. There will be an FAQ somewhere.

Your gainging up on guys expressing there ideas or opinions anytime you think youve heard it before or you have a different view. Its time to stop. I mean I can go to everything you say, argue it and act like your completely wrong.

Example:

You posted a reply to this post:

and your reply was:

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? Well what the movies show is all the fun parts, nott he long trials of training. V hinted at it, but it takes a long time to become a powerful jedi and the devs will make it that way. Jedi don't look for xcitement, either, they just protect when they are needed. They aren't "Roxxors" fighters that go around "owning all with their l337 skillz". There would be a lot of boredom as a jedi, unless you showed your skill in which place every bounty hunter would be on your ass, npc or player.

Well how the heck can you dictate to this guy what he might consider adventurous or exciting.

Why dont you try reading the Official FAQ's for a change.

6.01 Will I be able to play a Jedi?

Yes. Although the details are still being worked out, we are staying true to the spirit of the films. Therefore, the journey to become a Jedi will be difficult, but those players who choose this path with find it very rewarding.

FAQ says that the players who choose this path will find it rewarding. Your statements indicating that these guys wont have fun, comes from nothing more than the fact that your sure the movies only showed the fun stuff. Come on get a freaken clue here.

Quit trying to crush someone elses imagination, let these folks feel as if they have some kind of freedom to express their mind and speak there dreams without having to worry about you jumping in and calling them a n00b or dence, or mention how tired you are of hearing it. Frankly it makes me sick, your single handedly destroying the purpose of these forums and somehow got the impression that these guys revolve around you.

I for one dont care if you heard it before, or they failed to read a sticky. I know Ive heard you belittle before and Im kind of getting sick of it.

Is there a rule that states you must have read every portion of the FAQ to sign-up?

Indeed I have, but I haven't memorized it like its the constitution, and I think only you few have.

So don't criticize me (or anyone else) if we haven't memorized it like you.

You keep memorizing, I'll be off playing Jedi Knight 2 :)

They havent memorized it, they just look up anything someone says and throw a fit if they can find something contradictory in the FAQ's or DEV LOG's.

I guess they think it makes them look smarter.

But dont worry, keep it up. Most of us know exactly what your trying to do. Have a discussion.

Dont let the ego's of some kill your interest within the game.

Originally posted by Gaalgoth

yep... me thought jedi would just be a profession too, but by now me has given up hope of making a alt char jedi... as it prolly ain't gonna happen :)

Quote6.01 Will I be able to play a Jedi?

Yes. Although the details are still being worked out, we are staying true to the spirit of the films. Therefore, the journey to become a Jedi will be difficult, but those players who choose this path with find it very rewarding.

Hmmm.

*looks at FAQ number*

6.01, huh.

When was that, a year ago right?

Amazing how things can change in a year. :p

Look ... people.

You can have all the dreams you want, you can even dream about becomming a Jedi. Cause even if the chanses are slim, there's still a chance that you can hit that magic combination. And that's the thruth.

Another thruth is that the chances are slim. So we, the guys (and girl?!? Still somewhat confused :confused: ) that are discussing against the 'Jedi wannabees', are trying to make you realize this.

We're pretty much saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

Why? Because we do want you to have a good time playing this game. And how much fun would you have when for months you've been trying to become a Jedi, barely able to pay the monthly fee and it cost most of your money in the first place to buy the game (worst case scenario) and still haven't becomme Force Sensetive.

I would guess not much.

On a side note, I would like to say I agree with some of what Koffin said.

Quit trying to crush someone elses imagination, let these folks feel as if they have some kind of freedom to express their mind and speak there dreams without having to worry about you jumping in and calling them a n00b or dence, or mention how tired you are of hearing it.

Ok koffin, I've called you a dick in the past but this time I agree with you, I've been pretty harsh. Ghost, no you don't have to memorize it like it's the constitution, it's just that many questions thata re being asked are given freely in the FAQ so when someone comes in asking a question it's kind of annoying. After all, if a person is really interested in this game and really wants to know something don't you think taht they should read the FAQ? No that doesn't give the right to bitch them out like I've done, but if you want to start questioning other peoples ideas and stuff you should have read the entire FAQ at least once first. And as for being a jedi being fun and stuff, yeah it'll have rewards but it's going to probably be long and dull in much of the process. If extreme focus is recquired to get in touch with the force and use it properly, then that sounds like a classic boring quest/mission type thingy. Sure it'll be awesome and rewarding to use the force on people, but that doesn't mean the overall experience will be rewarding and fun. True I don't know how it will work, but chances are it will be long and dull. Luke didn't look very thrilled on Dagobah to me.

As far as crushing someone's dreams and Imagination, that is not my attempt at all. But when someone says something like (and I know this wasn't you Ghost) "I'll be a good mercenary, only take jobs that help the weak and this will make me force sensitive, at which point I'll become a jedi" and I tell them things probably aren't going to happen that way, I don't think that I'm crushing their dreams and imagination. As for calling you dense Ghost, I apologize, that was out of line. As for calling you a n00b koffin, you were a n00b to the forums when i called you that. Sorry if that's still a touchy subject for you =)

Nice post Jan, you saved me the trouble of saying something similar.

I argue with those who are fixated on being a Jedi because I don't want to see people dissapointed. Choose another profession and work hard at it, just enjoy the SW experience. You can't expect to do nothing and become a Jedi.

It's like entering a raffle and insisting you'll win cos you're determined to. If you got your hopes up and in the end someone else won the car, you'd feel bad.

Don't wade into SWG expecting to become a Jedi through slogging or force of will, it probably won't happen.

What else can I say, some people just won't listen no matter what people say. I'm glad some of you have thought about it and chosen another path. I hope the effort we put into this sticky helped you.

I really hope those of you who are convinced you'll be Jedi get your wish. However I have a vision of the SWG box sticking out the top of your bin after 3 months of frustration. Or a copy of SWG sitting in the returns bin at your local store after you couldnt find the 'Jedi' button. :)

K Gaalgoth, I promise this isn't a flame...:eek:

You and Jan Gaarni made a point but I don't think you realized it.

Jan pointed out that the FAQ I quoted was a year old.

K...Now go to the site and open it up. If your new, or like me and dont ever pay attention to numbers, or didn't bother to see it a year ago, you would have no choice but to take it for face value.

Now with that, and the ever changing (sometimes conflicting) dev chats...and lets face it, the DEV's do like to be a little mysterious in their answers....

Can you blame someone for re-instating a group discussion? Its real easy to cover the same ground twice when the air is pretty foggy.

I guess all I'm saying here is dont get annoyed, give them a link. Review the cryptic explanations yourself, then ask the poster what they think. Any new opinions at this point should be welcome. It will only help to fuel are own imagination as well as theirs.

I'm not going to beat the whole jedi thing, its been done enough...but from what I've seen, even the most die hard force seekers in these forums have allready accepted the fact that they may never see the glowing blade.

Again, I'm not flaiming...just requesting a little help from the guys who have scoured these sites longer then I have.

Honestly, I didn't even know how old the FAQ was untill Jan mentioned it..lol.

We all have about seven more months to go and we are all going to hear the same questions and comments we heard seven months ago. So go with the flow, don't get tired of repeating your self. Don't get tired of explanations...

That galaxy we keep dreaming about is still far, far away...

and we have a long way to go.

I agree mostly with Ben Skywalker on this subject, we should not bash on all the Jedi dreamers, there is nothing wrong with that, yes most of them will find it heart breaking when they actually find that it will be extremly difficult to become a Jedi and then even harder to stay one and then how hard it will be to create their own lightsaber and lets not forget the ones who wish to try and build the almost impossible double saber. But I dont think that this will stop anyone from playing the game. I too have a deep desire to become force sensative and take the life of a Jedi, but I do have other intrest in mind as far as a career goes, but yes a life as a Jedi will be a life that you will have to hide to the best of you ability. Untill the time comes when you do need your powers, if you put enough training in you Jedi, you will be a force to rekon with! I think a Jedi will be very difficult thing to defeat. But back to a life of hiding, just knowing that you are a Jedi and the confidence in that you are one of the most powerful beings in the game would be enough self satisfaction for me!

80% of the people who do bash the Jedi dreamers are planning to be bounty hunters and we all know that you DO have the option of becoming a bounty hunter so I think that all the bounty hunters are going to be more disapointed then anyone when they figure out that most of the SWG population is going to be BH's. Its just going to be an over populated profession and it will be hard as hell to make any money at because of all the bountys are going to be hunted by other BH's so by the time you find your target whoooops already dead. Sorry.

GJ Jan and Watty. You are absolutly right, people can dream, appropiate or not! ;)

Anyways, but people should get ready to face the facts if they don't become a Jedi. 'I, and a few others, would get upset if this place turned into a den with griefers*' saying, "I tried having patience, how come I'm not a Jedi."

*This excludes me, from when I read the Station's threads and complain about them over here.

Let me quote homer simpson..

"In america... first you get dee sugar... then you get de power.... then you get..... dee women... blashajdhsd...."

Like in all games and in RL, money is power. I'm not sure if being a BH will be very rewarding in credits imo.

Archived