Home

Qui-gon Jinn model

TEX360

Ah, before I start off in my nitpickyness I think I'll first give you the constructive criticism disclaimer.... oh... okay ... all done. :-)

That said, on with the nitpicking.

It's definately looking good but, I'm gonna start from the head and work my way down.

The first thing that stuck out to me like a sore thumb on the head was visible in the profile shot. The way that the hair lays past the ear is just very separated. I feel like the entire back portion of the head could use to be pushed in somewhat. There are allowances for hair thickness, but there is not that great a distance between the ear and the back of the head. On the issue of the hair, it definately needs more greying, but on the model itself, the peice that falls behind the ears needs to actually lie closer behind them, and the area where the hair is pulled back beside the hairline could really use to be incorporated better into the skin, especially in the sideburn area.

The texture on the fabric in general needs more noise, it's FAR too smooth. On that note, I think you need to darken the colors a lot because the lighting is just making him GLOW, and it's really taking away from whatever detail that you may have bothered to put on the skin.

The fabric folds look particularly good under the arms and on the sides, but become far too linear in the front, especially beneath the belt. It seems almost like the Tabards are pleated, I dont think this is what you were going for.

Ah, sleeves. I think that the edges of the sleeves needed to be thickened up some they seem to planar, not to mention to pointy on the baggier underside. I think this is due to the angle that the fall at.

More later c-ya.

--Seka-gian

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear from you around here Tex :D I dont go to #model_design, but I should start

Seka, Thanks for the constructive critisim, I apprishate your comments :) Everything you've pointed out we're already working on, and has already been mentioned in the thread here, or over at polycount :) The head is not proportionatally accurate yet, and Arco isn't quite finished with the skin on the head. As for the body, with the exeption of the little remodeling job I did on the hips, and the proportional changes, nothing else much will change except for the skin and the head

I'll talk to Arco about darkening the texture of the cloth a little, It looks diffrent ingame then it does in those screen shots. I put him under multiple light sources when I took that shot. His Garb IS pretty cream colored though, Obi's is even lighter, almost completely white

Anyway, thanks for the help :)

Great model/skin so far. My only critique this far is also one I have for Kit Fisto. The saber is intersecting the right hand on the recent screen from Toonces. I have to think then that maybe the arms are too long, since it can't be fixed any other way. Maybe Kit Fisto's arms are too long as well?? I mean, I have seen other models where the saber fits perfectly into the hand, so I know it's possible. You might want to take that into consideration before becoming too involved with skinning.

It won't effect the skin any, I'll be able to adjust his hands for the saber to fit correctly. I'm sorry the saber on Kit clips through the palm a touch, I couldn't get it to work without moving his hands, or shrinking them, both which looked very strange once I had done it. It's not always easy to work within the incredibly strict limitations of this engine.

Anyway, no skin work, but I made a number of proportional adjustments on the head. I still have more to do, especially on the perspective shot

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/liamfront.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/liamside.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/liampersp.jpg

The perspective shot is the most skewed, I'm working on it though

Any crits on geometry would be most aprishated

Originally posted by Toonces

It won't effect the skin any, I'll be able to adjust his hands for the saber to fit correctly. I'm sorry the saber on Kit clips through the palm a touch, I couldn't get it to work without moving his hands, or shrinking them, both which looked very strange once I had done it. It's not always easy to work within the incredibly strict limitations of this engine.

Anyway, no skin work, but I made a number of proportional adjustments on the head. I still have more to do, especially on the perspective shot

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/liamfront.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/liamside.jpg

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/liampersp.jpg

The perspective shot is the most skewed, I'm working on it though

Any crits on geometry would be most aprishated

it's looking better, although the eyes are a bit frightening right now...

The eyes look way too big and have a reptilian shape to them. Try reducing the vertical size. The pupils need to bee more circular as well. The head shape looks better. However, the middle of his chin still needs to be moved up. Also, the nose is too long and his forehead is too small. In shortening the nose do so from the top(or bridge), moving down the position of his eyes and eyebrows with it. This will kill two birds with one stone.

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Qui-Gon_Jinn&image=tpm08.jpg&img=&tt=

edit: Also, you could add some outward curvature to the bridge of his nose.

edit: The eyes of your previous update were fine.

Originally posted by SiThLoRd><1000

Yes, the eyes and the nose are my only crits. As you all prob. realized that Liam's nose looks like it has been broken more than once... (hehehe)

Hehe, that's quite possible. I believe he was a boxer before he became an actor.

Well the headshape is definately more correct in general, but it's now the face that I see more of an issue with.

The nose, as previously mentioned has a few issues with it, some could be skinning issues indeed, however... there is a very prominent seam on the underside of the nose that makes it almost seem to FLOAT on the face.

With this is an issue with the lips in which they are definately too far forward, they moved back slightly, and the upper lip needs to be brough back independant of the lip area as it's jutting out in a far to pointy manner.

In the 3/4ths you can clearly see that the side of the face is far too straight. The cheek bone and brow need to come out further to give a curvature to the face and keep him from looking flat.

That in itself may actually correct the lip problem independant of any modification to that area at all.

This will also take away from the bulginess of the eyes.

All I can say is beware of making them sunken too far in at the corners (the eyes that is). I think the side of the face is the biggie though. And watch the length of your eyebrows in relation to the hair line.

This looks very good, however I believe the eyes are both too large (vertically, as has been mentioned), and too far up. They look like they almost at 2/3 up.

An idea, I don't know if it really helps, but you can try looking at other photos of Liam Neeson where he hasn't got the distracting hair and beard. I don't really have a lot of modeling experience, but if I draw it helps me to know what the person looks like without a beard and then add it.

I beleive so, which refresh my memory, what did you think needed changing?

from this post....

--The eyes look way too big and have a reptilian shape to them. Try reducing the vertical size. The pupils need to bee more circular as well. The head shape looks better. However, the middle of his chin still needs to be moved up. Also, the nose is too long and his forehead is too small. In shortening the nose do so from the top(or bridge), moving down the position of his eyes and eyebrows with it. This will kill two birds with one stone.

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/mu...08.jpg&img=&tt=

edit: Also, you could add some outward curvature to the bridge of his nose.

edit: The eyes of your previous update were fine.--

Archived