Home

Moral Dilema

Zygomaticus

This is something we had last year in English Class, and i thought i would share it with you. It doesn't tell me much what kind of person you are, but it tells me what your morals are in a serious case.

If you want to participate, give your answer and a fully written reason

Consider this situation.

You are on a sinking ship, and there are MANY people on it. You suddenly come across an escape boat. There are ONLY 3 spaces in the boat. There are a couple of people who you can choose from to save, but you must brave the rough seas back home.

A pregnant woman

A 5 year old girl

Your best friend

An 80 year old woman

A RICH business man

A young med student

Yourself!

Only 3 people get to go on the boat, and you get to decide, cuz you found it. Who will you pick??

tuff one, eh? good luck :)

here's my reply

ill pick out each one separately.

A pregnant woman- I would think about taking her because it would be 2 lives i'm saving. But what do you think are the chances of her surviving the rough seas back home? She's pregnant, obviously implying that she can't move around real fast, she can't lift things, she can't be a help in the boat.

A 5 year old girl- Too early to die for her. She's only seen world for 5 years, and deserves more, especially the good years ahead. But again, what do you think her chances of surviving in a little boat in stormy seas are?

Your best friend- Considering my BEST friend is like me, he can brave the seas And he is my best friend, and best friends care...i'll think about it.

An 80 year old woman- Sorry, but not much use here. She's seen her share of life, time to make rooms for others. And i would say literally no way she could survive on a little boat on rough seas.

A RICH business man- Well, richy here may be considered. He's seen a bit of life, and considering he's a man, lets assume he will be able to make the boat ride. But still, not much use of him living. Since he's a business man, something good for him, is bad for others. So he's basically a nuisance. And he's probably gonna complain about his ruined suit all throughout the trip. And if he has a nice wife, she might donate money to the poor once he's dead :D

A young med student- Now this is MY strongest candidate. Lets say its a HE. Considering he's a doctor, or will be, think of the number of lives he might one day save. Leaving out 3-4 people here is no problem if one day this man will save scores of lives. He's worthit.

myself!- Now the absolute biggy. I'm 15, i like water, i can bear the seas, i dont know what i'm gonna do when i grow up, and i dont wanna die I would seriously considering picking myself. I know the nobles thing to do would be to sacrifice yourself, but if you reall think about it, it IS NOT easy to just leave yourself to die. COnsidering you have first say, i'm sure, what i may say may be different from what i may do, but surely the first thing that would cross my mind would be to go along...but i think not. or i think so...aaah i dont know.

My final list

1. Med Student

2. Pregnant woman

3. Myself :eek: --> Jeebus, what a self centered guy.... :rolleyes:

As i said, i didnt pick the little girl because i doubt she can survive the seas. But the pregnant woman, we can take a chance...maybe her baby will turn out great, or whatever.

And Sorry, but i can't die

Maybe i would clobber my friend to death to prevent him from seeing that i picked me

MAN WHAT A HARD QUESTION!!

Force long post!!! ;):D

Ok, this is tough, but I think I can make a choice.

Pregnant Lady - Potential to save 2 lives. Survival probability low.

5 year old girl - Small, innocent, hasn't tasted life yet. Survival probability low.

Best friend - Innocent, hasn't tasted life yet. Survival probability good.

80 year old woman - old, frail, has tasted life already. Survival probability low.

Rich Businessman - tasted life already, not much left to contribute to the world. Survival probabgility good.

Young Med student - is tasting life. Potential to do very good. Survival probability good.

Me - Innocent, hasn't tasted life. Survival probability good.

But seeing as I can't pick myself as I get to choose, and my best friend would be heartbroken if I didn't live with him, we are both out of the question. The old lady doesn't need to be saved, she has already lived her life. The businessman doesn't have much left to do in the world, he's rich, therefore he doesn't need to survive. Therefore I pick:

1. The med student (1st choice)

2. Pregnant woman (2nd choice)

3. 5 year old girl (3rd choice)

The med student has the potential to save more lives, he can help the pregnant lady give birth and the pregnant woman can help with the children. Therefore, they all live and the most potential and life is saved at the same time.

The med student has the potential to save more lives, he can help the pregnant lady give birth and the pregnant woman can help with the children. Therefore, they all live and the most potential and life is saved at the same time.

And they all lived happily ever after :D

Hmmm...i gotta say:

Myself

My best friend

Med Student

When it comes to situations like this, you just gotta be a little selfish or you'll never decide. So of course i save myself and the other person i actually care about, my friend. I save the Med student my random selection between the business man and the student, the only two likely to survive. If i take the pregnant women, the girl, or the old lady then we all might not make, which is not good.

My list:

1) Pregnant woman: It only says a pregnant woman, but not HOW pregnant. I assume, since we are out at sea, she isn't very far along and can most likely survive the boat.

2) 5 yr old girl: You have to be one sick & twisted person to deny her a seat. *looks at kode & Tie Guy :eyeraise:*

3) Med student: His potential does it, kode puts forth a strong argument for him.

as for myself :evil2: and my bud :evil3:, well, we'd just toss some other rich business guys out of their seats.

Lets see.

Me- well it’s me screw the others I’m getting on first.

80 year old- would live another few years at best and is likely to die.

Rich guy-I’m temped to save him in hopes of him giving me some cash but he didn’t get rich like that so he stays.

I got no friends problem solved.

Med student-Could be helpful and is likely to survive also has potential to save many lives He’s in.

Pregnant woman- I’m not sure If it’s 1 day at sea she’d be in but if it’s a week or more I’d say no. First off she’d be the first one to start staving and if we have any food at all would eat a lot. Also I’m not sure but starving a young fetus might not be good for it’s health theirs a chance it chance it could die. With All that in mind I’d take the 5 year old.

So

1) Me

2) Med student

3) 5 year old

1. The med student - could be of handy

2. The pregnant woman - 2 lives

3. My bestfriend and the 5 yearold can sit on his lap.

....as for myself and the rest...we will just have to be like in the titanic and try and swim and hold on to crap till someone comes save us. The little girl probably would not swim very long so she goes in the boat...the prenant woman couldn't probably swim very well and I know my best friend will come back for me with the jetski. :o) Feel sorry for the 80 year old woman...but she's old ne ways

For those who chose the girl and the pregnant women:

Do you really think you could survive a rough trip at sea in a small boat with only one person capable of doing anything? And i assume your not sinking cause you hit another ship in the harbor, you're in the middle of nowhere, right?

I'd ask my passengers who is willing to sacrifice his / her life. ;)

But I would put the the child and the pregnant mother on the boat (women and childrens first). My friend and I will discuss who goes with them ... the one that can keep them alive best will go on the boat. We will cry, they will leave, I will die, they will live.

Originally posted by Young David

I'd ask my passengers who is willing to sacrifice his / her life. ;)

But I would put the the child and the pregnant mother on the boat (women and childrens first). My friend and I will discuss who goes with them ... the one that can keep them alive best will go on the boat. We will cry, they will leave, I will die, they will live.

If you were faced with the decision, would you really choose to die? I doubt it.

I figure I would put the 5-year old, the pregnant mom, and the med student in the boat.

The mom counts for two, and the med student could help her and the little one.

I'm not, in the end, afraid to die, and I think my friend would also be willing to sacrifice himself. The 80-year-old has already lived her life, and is probably pretty ready to pass on, anyway.

But that is a tough question.

Originally posted by darthfergie

Very simple decision. I'd grab me and my best friend a seat on the chopper coming down to rescue us and take the 80 year old with us, the rest are good to go and can survive the water for a while till the chopper comes back;)

oh! yeah, and i'm elvis presley:D

Krkode ain't nothin but a hound dog! -darthfergie

1. A pregnant woman (like everyone else said, two lives)

2. A 5 year old girl and my best friend (because they could both fit into an adult-sized spot)3. A young med student (S/he will probably save more lives)

As for the 80 year old woman: Not to be harsh, but she's probably already dead...

As for the RICH business man: He probably has the money to have his own personal boat :p

As for me...well, I believe in taking chances. :D

Originally posted by Tie Guy

If you were faced with the decision, would you really choose to die? I doubt it.

Why not?

If I had to choose how I would die, then I would die by sacrificing my live so others can live. It has more meaning than hugging a tree with 200 kph.

Originally posted by Young David

Why not?

If I had to choose how I would die, then I would die by sacrificing my live so others can live. It has more meaning than hugging a tree with 200 kph.

If you had to choose how to die, you'd choose not to every time. Lets be serious, no one here would choose to die at their present ages and conditions. You can speak of being noble all you want, but i really think that if it was real you'd choose to save yourself. I sure would.

Archived