Home

Do you bow at the start of a duel because....

munik

Do you bow at the start of a duel because....  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bow at the start of a duel because....

• It shows honor and respect to my oppenent.
    • My opponent did it first.
    • My oppenent/everyone will give me a hard time if I don\'t.
    • Nope, I don\'t bow. The honor and/or respect is implied in the act of accepting a duel.
    • A combination of the previous three choices.

My answer is the last, a combination. I don't really want to do it, because I feel that it's unecessary. The respect is implied. But mostly I do it so as not to be harassed.

Maybe if there was a quick key to do it, but I would rather prefer a soldiers salute or something, like lifting your saber hand in front of your face, saber pointing straight up, looking at your opponent. To me that seems more fitting, a simple gesture, an acknowledgement of your foe. And it doesn't leave you defensless, in fact it is more in line with two people who are about to kill eachother. Prostating yourself with your weapon sheathed seems more like a signal of defeat, a show of submission I don't like to show an opponent.

I'm with you Munik. It's usually a mixture - I prefer a quick nod but hey, guess what, some peeps miss that and assume I didn't do anything. I once combo'd a guy using 2 or 3 rotating blue, a blue lunge, somersault back then the yellow DFA for a finish - he called me a n00b for 'not' bowing...

Anyways, I *always* respect my opponent even if they spam moves, etc, etc.

But if you fight someone who is an idiot, relax in the knowledge that they'll probably be an idiot outside of the game too.

;)

Wouldn't it look cool, if both players cycled through their saberstyles...ending with Stron stylw, which is a style looking much like a gesture...

Try it, and you will get my point...So if both players had switched on light style, and then cycled to strong...that would be a nice gesture too IMO!

i bow because it gives some order to the duel. you don't need too, but when people start fighting right away it feels like i'm fighting a bot. i usually bow to anyone, even if they try to kill me while bowing. try is the key word there

I bow, even if they don't and start attacking me. I dodge as soon as they attack. And that leaves them wide open for an attack from the rear. I remember I once got my sweet revenge when I bowed to a guy who tried to DFA me in mid-bow. I cartwheeled left and used one strong swing to kill him during that pause when he landed.

Afterwards I told him, "I hope that taught you a lesson..." then he left. :p

I'm with ryudom here - It makes it more controlled and people can see that they're both ready to fight. There's no "honor" in it, but it's better than racing straight for your opponent and try to catch him off his feet.

But then again, my bow is a small nod , so it rarely gets noticed and that can upset some people... geeez...

I think that a bow between oponents gives you both a quick second to ease your mind into the knowledge that you are going to fight one person and one person only. You can then get yoursel into the posiotn of chhoice for the duel. If someone does not bow my opinion is that they are unskilled, new, or just want to get the drop on you. I just roll backwards as soon as I accept a duel from someone. This puts enough distance from us so that I can watch thier saber style and hands if they leave the saber on. Then I they wind up for an attack I will see it. I also stay in yellow so if they go for the lunge, most non-bowers that I have dueled with do, I just yellow special their a** and kill them in one move. Then I just tell them to bow next time. Nine out of ten times they want a remach and will bow this time.

I bow for none of the reasons above.

To answer people that say "bowing is not part of the movies"..

I would say that is not completely true.

Quaigon bows several times in episode one.

This I think goes back to Lucas and his appretiation of Japanese culture(and his love of Kurosawa films).

Interesting info from http://www.shinnova.com/part/99-japa/abj16-e.htm

Bowing represents humility. You elevate, honour, and respect the other person by humbling yourself or lowering yourself. The lower you bow, the more you are honouring or respecting the other party. As a Westerner, you are not expected to initiate a bow, but a bow should always be returned (except from personnel at department stores and restaurants who bow to welcome you, and to whom you can nod in return if you like). To not bow in return is similar to refusing a hand shake.

I usually do the "Sportsman’s Bow".

Stay in heavy stance and do a fast crouch.

It has nothing to do with "respect"; it is simply a way of telling your opponent you are ready for the match to commence.

You don't have to "line up", just get in their field of vision and do it.

It also helps keeps the pace of duels fast rather than having to "go to the center every time and do the whole bow thing" at the start of each round.

Originally posted by sexcellent

i NEVER bow just because i feel its a rediculous custom to apply to a video game. i am a martial artist and i bow in real life for real reasons, not because i'm playing a video game against someone!

So you don't believe in showing people respect online? It might be a video game, but everything in life can be looked upon this way. I behave online as I would in real life! And why? Because the people I am with online are in fact real people.... not just a binary code. I am a martial artist too, have practiced Shotokan Karate for 9 years and Taekwondo before that. I believe in honour and respect and it applies to all aspects of life... also online life. I would never bow to a bot on a server... but a real person deserves that. But if I am fighting someone who has been a lamer (typekilling etc.) I never bow... I just wait for him to get his saber out and then I attack. People deserve my respect until they have proven otherwise!

Of course you wouldn't usually see bowing in a lightsaber duel. (mostly you bow in like karate fights or something) But still it does show honor and respect to the opponent. Though if the opponent doesn't bow and kinda stares at you...you get a strange feeling. So i go with the combination.

I play duel exclusively and I bow, but not for respect. For me it's a mix of some of the abovementioned; to make clear to eachother that you're ready, but more importantly because it is a duel, a test of skills agreed upon by two combatants and not just some incindental meeting by two opposing forces.

A duel is an ancient, formal tradition found in almost any culture. A duel has a certain set of rules (that may differ from region to region). Ideally each opponent has a second making sure the duel is conducted in accordance with these rules, but in this game such a feature is not available. The greeting of your opponent and thus signaling you're ready is an essential part.

Basically I bow to signal I'm ready but also for my own personal sense of honour I regard as important to me while observing it is a duel in which I participate.

I've read alot of arguments about honour and respect being uncalled for in a video game like this, but to me only the media has changed. It's still two people testing their skills against eachother. Furthermore it does add some flavour to the experience.

Originally posted by Canis_Aureus

(So you don't believe in showing people respect online? It might be a video on this way. I behave online as I would in real life! And why? Because the people I am with online are in fact real people.... not just a binary code. I am a martial artist too, have practiced Shotokan Karate for 9 years and Taekwondo before that. I believe in honour and respect and it applies to all aspects of life... also online life. I would never bow to a bot on a server... but a real person deserves that. )

Amen to that! I too am a Taekwondo stylist...and I bow before matches online too. Why? Because I live my whole life with honor. You may kill me while I bow...but it will only happen once!

Reptile Iron

IRON Brigade Iron Jedis

Archived