Home

Intel Owns AMD

Absurd

I've had VIA chipsets on my last two motherboards running Athlon Thunderbirds & then Athlon XP's. I've never had any problem with them.

The hammer is hoing to rule. :)

Kal: It depends in part on if your graphics program is optimized for a particular instruction set or not. I believe Photoshop is coded to run nicer on Intel chips (snce they have the market share and all).. but as for general graphics/rendering they'll both do fine. It depends on the program you use.

Well ever since i got my 1.4 ghz a while ago i've never had any problems with the computer at all. My intel 233 mhz blew up after 6 months. my intel 500 mhz decided to jsut not work at all. (no point fixing it needed an upgrade) got an athlon Thunderbird 1.4 has had NOoooooo problems at all. my dad's TB 800 mhz has also had no probs and he's had it for a long time now maybe my intels might have been jynxed or osmething :rolleyes:

and lots of people fall to intel cos its better known

Originally posted by Absurd

Gee, even if they did, who keeps CPU's longer than 6 months?

My dad has a CPU 2 YEARS old and it still is good for him,he can run WarcraftIII.Mine is 9 months old and is doing just fine,it's my video card that needs work on, but I am not gonna replace my CPU from AMD until Christmas or even in 2 years.

Originally posted by Darth Clem

well i cant comment on via chipsets

edit: its not hearsay its his experience with the things and hes passing it onto me!

Ummm...

"hear·say Pronunciation Key (hîrs)

n.

Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor.

Law. Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony. "

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=hearsay

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by cjais

Just drop it guys - no one is gonna convince anyone it seems...

No point in flaming.

And when the godamn dictionary is brought out to play, then I'm going....

... Yeah this is getting a little to harsh... :( All I have to do is state a simple fact right now... and everyone will get mad... doesnt matter what I say I might get flammed... But the truth is simple... Overclocking is stupid!!! It kills the life to your cpu... You dont think so... Tuff... Learn from your mistake and not everyone elses... See how much money you fork out when your wonderfull cpu over heats and burns its self out... Trust me... They dont clock that high for a reason... Its all about the life span... My processor can go in into the Ghz but me and my dad agree Its better to let it live its life at a nice pace... I have to state something else... ANY PROCESSOR CAN BURN UP WITH OUT A FAN!!! Even my instrucer says not to turn on a pc with out the fan... Even if it does take it 30 mintues to .01 of a second to over heat the thing... Once the smoke is out of your pc it wont run tell you get the new parts...

Originally posted by Tyrion

My dad has a CPU 2 YEARS old and it still is good for him,he can run WarcraftIII.Mine is 9 months old and is doing just fine,it's my video card that needs work on, but I am not gonna replace my CPU from AMD until Christmas or even in 2 years.

I guess it depends on the person.

I rarely keep a PC part for longer than 8 - 10 months.

Keeping up with the latest 3D stuff is a continual process.

my cpu is pushing a year old and it wont be upgraded for a while ... a 1.4 will be good 4 gaming a LONG time

graphics card and ram make lots more difference

The most recent games .. if you check the benchmarks are more CPU bottlenecked than anything else - regardless of resolution.

I rarely keep a PC part for longer than 8 - 10 months.

Unless you do something productive with your PC or are quite wealthy, I assume you're one of those people that are always in debt. I hope you do something productive with your PC rather than just sit around and play games. Keeping a PC for only 8-10 months is a ridiculous waste of money and time; basically your screen name describes it. (:D) Two years should hold you out just fine. Better yet; buy ONE PC and continuously upgrade it. That's the smart thing to do.

Well, I split it up.

After I upgrade I divide the pieces and give them to friends.

One friend got a Santa Cruz, the other a Geforce 3, and another a motherboard and cpu (1.5 gighz + 512mb ram). :)

I don't go out and drink or party so I am not debt. I just spend my money on my computer and some other stuff (beyond living expenses, rent, food, bills, etc, etc.).

Why am I telling you all this? :eek:

Originally posted by Cal_da_Darth

Two years should hold you out just fine. Better yet; buy ONE PC and continuously upgrade it. That's the smart thing to do.

i agree, i had p II 450mhz for 2 years, before that i had a pI 166 (which i had over-clocked to 250) also for about 2 years and about 5 months ago i got an athlon xp 1800+, which i probably have for about 2 years.

i only upgrade when it is necessary.

You get a new computer every 6 months?:eek:

Gee, even if they did, who keeps CPU's longer than 6 months?

I've had my computer for like 6 years :(, actually 4......

JK2 at the lowest settings!!!! :D

Probably going to get a new computer anyday now anyway..... anyway day now.....

:bored:

Anyday now.....

toms hardware knows what they are talking about....the founder, dr thomas pabst, has contacted AMD as a result of this video and it is being changed...just because you build computers (which anyone can do who simply plugs in cables and other mechanical items and clicks a mouse) does not qualify you to say that tomshardware is not credible...absurd was very correct in saying that the athlons have huge thermal death potential...

look absurd .... my info comes from sum1 who builds systems DAY IN AND DAY OUT!

not 1 video of 2 cpus ..... the AMD's run hotter but they are more tolerant of heat (my Thunderbird 1.4ghz runs at 60C) ... intels run cooler but pop sooned when they start to warm up!

this is from experience dont knock it

i do take issue with that ;)

games are GPU bottlenecked....you arent going to gain but a some fps say on like UT2k3 (a very very demanding game) if you upgrade lets say from a pentium 4 1.8 ghz to a 2.8ghz...you wont see THAT much performance in crease...but.....you can easily see your framerates double if you upgrade from a geforce 3 to a radeon 9700....the GPU is the bottleneck (not to mention not being programmable enough, which will be fixed soon) anyway, without going into too much jargon, game programmers are limited because of the immense limitations inherent in graphics processors currently on the market...they just arent CPU-like enough (heh that sounds weird) ....anyway, some games are CPU dependant, others GPU....the industry is definitely tending toward GPU.

The most recent games .. if you check the benchmarks are more CPU bottlenecked than anything else - regardless of resolution.

Archived