Home

WIP: Old Ben Kenobi

KevinCoyle

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice looking resemblence!

That reference picture is a little strange. Did you doctor that one up yourself to get a straight on image of his face? It's clearly a mirrored image (one half of his face) and some of the preportions seem a little off. Your model looks better than that ref pic. :)

One little thing, I see a problem with the pupils. They should lie centered within the iris. I see that the reference pic has these weird ecliptical pupils and that you have the same on your model. I've noticed this in one pic that I have of him as well (I think it's the same one you got most of that ref pic from) but I think it's just a weird shadow or the angle, because no one should have pupils like that. Just trying to help ;)

Keep in mind though, that the eyes look fantastic besides this point, and I hope that you can fix the problem without losing that certain something that you have captured thus far.

K.O. -

I'm aware of the skins out there, but I do not think a skin with prequel-like jedi garments qualifies as being a good representation of such a legendary character. I mean ZERO offense. I've seen three skins of him, and all have been good jobs with what there was to work with, but until there is an Old Ben with full length robes, in my obsessive, Star Wars-Puristic Opinion, he has been "overlooked" And please do not " :o " at me. It seems as though you were making an attempt to appear as though you were talking down to me. That is not appreciated.

Nonetheless, I did not mean to sound like I was complaining with my original comments. I was merely stating my happiness with the fact that somebody had begun a WIP of this character.

Keep up the good work KevinCoyle.

-nomad

MTFBWY

I have to say ur reference pic Mr obi-wan looks a little .....roughed up but it looks like u have compensated 4 that. on the whole its looking more like him again, the only thing i would change is making his beard a little more rough around the edges and move his ears out a little more to stick out a bit.

FATTEH

overall top job keep it up :)

I'd be intrested to see a flat shader on that head. You've got more than enough faces to pull a very accurate head off I bet, it's looking good :D A side shot would be nice too, the front of the head looks a little pointy

I agree with you nomad, the model itself looks much better than that refrence pic, and to back you up nomad, a custom model is always prefrable to a reskin of an existing model, there is just so much more that you can do

Toonces

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com

Powered by Sith :lightning

Another Update. I'm think I'm just about ready to start skinning the rest of the head and to finalize the face texture (Adding randomness to the beard, and making his hair wilder and combed forward and to the like it is in most of my reference pictures, instead of back like I have it now. Any suggestions before I continue?

http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/oldobiwanhead6.jpg

Yeah, I guess he still is a bit cross eyed, no big deal to fix.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the compliments and constructive critism. You've all been a big help in helping me get the head to look right. No one really said "This model blows" in the early stages of develpment when it's obviously not going to look good. I appreciate that.

Kevin,

I suggest going back to skinned eyes versus real ones. With the skinned ones it looked WAY more like him. Since you changed to "real" eyes, I think it's lost his likeness. Just change it out again and put two pics of it side by side (one skinned eyes, one real) and you'll see what I mean.

Also, here's some links for reference pics:

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi/Miscellaneous&image=Kenobi2.jpg&img=&tt=

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi/A_New_Hope&image=obiwan5.jpg&img=&tt=

Wow man I just got back home and I checked the forums. The updates are much better then I had expected. You've come a long way in such a short time. Great work man. Can't wait to see what you do next. Also a suggestion, Maybe try to make a cloaked version and a noncloaked version (like Tyrion). Or make two versions, one with the anh clothes and one with the aotc clothes. Just a suggestion. Take it easy everyone. ;)

My only suggestion right now is to change the angle of his eyebrows a bit. Bring the outsides of the eyebrows up a bit and the insides down. Right now he looks a bit sad, and while in some ways that would be in character for him, he seemed to have more of a mischevious look to him most of the time :)

Thanks for the pics, you're starting to get me excited.

Are you using the .xsi skeleton as a basis to build the model around? That will help make sure you have the arm lengths and such at good lengths.

I would say that his torso looks a little too wide or thick from the front. That looks like the thickness he'd probably have with his outer brown robe on. I also agree that his arms seem to be short.

The belt might be a bit too low, but more apparent to me is that he should have a wide peice of cloth around his waist with the leather belt centered over it. You may have known that and just not gotten to it yet, but I just figured I'd offer everything I could think of right off the bat.

Well anyway, it is very cool seeing a body being made for good old Ben Kenobi!

-nomad

MTFBWY

I've Uvwmapped the model, and I've just started on the skins. Mostly all it is now is color with a few temperary lines I'm using to fit everything together and the make sure the robe lines up on the seperate parts. I know not all the lines line up yet, the robe is reversed on the torso in relation to the robe over the legs.

http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/benbody3.jpg

Very cool!!

Oh, Heh I see you do have the cloth belt there.

I don't know how much you've tweaked anything, but it looks better now, possibly just because the basic colors are in place.

He still may be a bit too solid in the chest, but I'm sure you'll tweak it right. This model is looking very nice.

I really think you've captured his face extremely well.

I made a soundpack for Old Ben a while ago, and I was just making a new one with sounds fresh from the laserdiscs because my freind was going to make a model of him. However, your likeness is so good, it looks as though we'll be very happy with your work. I was wondering if you would like me to contribute towards the soundpack? Just let me know if you'd rather handle that yourself, because I can understand that.

Great job so far, and thanks for your hard work.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Archived