Home

WIP : Duel of the Fates MP, Version 2

Shadriss

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry jedi Kenobi how i did it is spot on accurate

1. it shows it like i made it in the book i have and in the blueprints

2. IF you watch the DVD at the making of the film youll see as they enter the BIG pit room and maul leaps back and they follow, he then leaps UP 1 level to that top part then knocks kenobi down to level beneath main walkway , then maul gets knocked to main walkway.

But also in film its wrong because Lucas flips film again LOL so if they did go the way they were going it would be back to the hanger :D

Originally posted by t3rr0r

wow, that skybox looks amazing! although, a couple things... the hills seem too tall, and they would probably look better if they were green. :D

Thanks, they took a while for me to render, but i'm pretty happy with the result.

I could probably edit the landscape some to make them less bumpy, but it takes a while to render the pics, so I think i'll wait for the final version to be ready.

And the hills are green, but because they are in the distance you get a slight blueish hue over them. That's the way Terragen does it and i'm not that fluent with the software yet.

Originally posted by WhiteShdw

Thanks, they took a while for me to render, but i'm pretty happy with the result.

I could probably edit the landscape some to make them less bumpy, but it takes a while to render the pics, so I think i'll wait for the final version to be ready.

And the hills are green, but because they are in the distance you get a slight blueish hue over them. That's the way Terragen does it and i'm not that fluent with the software yet.

if worse comes to worse, someone could always edit the hue in photoshop or something. :) i'll have to try this terragen, it sounds cool.

We may need to renovate the hanger a little, ,guys.

After watching the movie, WhiteShdw took a few screenshots from it and sent them to me. In one, I finally got a look at how the N-1s are held in place. The use a pair of clamps, attatched to the columns in front of the bays themselves, clamping down on the N-1 nacelles. This means a couple of things.

First, I'll be including these clamps. No big changes here. Just two texture changes on each column, as I imagine these clamps would be on a lift system, tereby eliminating the need for ladders to board the fighters.

Second, I got a much better look at the arrangement of the "odd computer items" on the back walls of each booth area. With that spacing fixed, and assuming that you have one fighter per row of "computer stuff" (which makes sence) we now have a problem. The catwalks that go down each side sit smack in the middle of where the fighter would rest.

There are, of course, a few options here. First is to eliminate the two side catwalks. I dont know if those were in the film or not (I didnt see them) so I dont know if that's a good idea or no.

The second option, and by far the most difficult at this point, is to, once again, raise the roof and alter the arrangement. However, looking at how this looks like it's supposed to go together, I dont think having those catwalks there is a good idea anyway.

That's a question to you LDJ. It's your map, therefore, your call.

I also got a screenie of the hanger exterior, and I'll be working that today to make it accurate, so fas as I'm able.

More later, guys.

(On a side note, this is one of those times I wish I weren't a "realistic" mapper - when you find out new info, you are complled to reowrk SO many things to adapt to it... *sigh* )

For oncec, I have benefitted from the experiance of Good Timing.

Within second of my previous post, LDJ added me to his MSN messenger. A long discussion ensued. Following that discussion, I did a bunch of alterations and additions.

The side catwalks : GONE. According to LDJ, he only added them to please his original BETA testers. I left the center one, simply because I didnt want to remove the door/lift from the other room. Besides, it isnt in anything's way.

The Corridor/Council Room Idea : Killed. After looking at some maps of Theed, we discovered that the Palace and the Hanger complex are actually in two different buildings. The route Amidala took went outside the hanger, along a cliff, and behind some waterfalls. Based on that, I've killed that addition.

The Hanger Exterior : Revamped. Based on some sketches LDJ sent me, I have completed the hanger exterior in a style MUCH closer to the movie. It isn't exact (I dont have md3's of the statues of the Naboo Goddess of Security and Safety) but it's fairly close.

The N-1s : Added in. I placed the clamps for the full complement of fighters housed in the facility (36 fighters, or 3 Squadrons). I included roughly 6 (it may be 7) N-1s still in thier docking clamps.

The Reactor Room Platforms : Based on drawings sent by LDJ, I've determined that, essentially, his layout was, in fact, correct in the original. Based on that, I intend to leave it that way. The platforms will be closer together vertically, but the actual arrangement will not change. HOWEVER, I AM going to add in lifts (behind doors) to allow those without force or a hiugh force jump to be able to move levels.

The Forcefields : We think we've found a way to make them work and not be so random. More on that when I start mapping that corridor.

So, overall , it's been a productive day. I'll post new screenies when I have them.

The Corridor/Council Room Idea : Killed. After looking at some maps of Theed, we discovered that the Palace and the Hanger complex are actually in two different buildings. The route Amidala took went outside the hanger, along a cliff, and behind some waterfalls. Based on that, I've killed that addition.

Why cant you just do the hallway? Its right across from the walkway to the reactor room. At the end of the hall are steps leading to a big window.

AT this point, , it's more along the lines of "Why bother". Lets face it - most of the fighting is going to be in the hanger/reactor/pit rooms. As cool as it may be to add in those other rooms, they arent even ATTATCHED to the hanger building. One of the things myself and LDJ are going for here is accuracy to the actual complex. Those rooms werent IN this building, so, will not be included in the map.

Perhpas in the next map... who can say?

Originally posted by Shadriss

First, I'll be including these clamps. No big changes here. Just two texture changes on each column, as I imagine these clamps would be on a lift system, tereby eliminating the need for ladders to board the fighters.

they had a little step ladder of sorts to get into the cockpit.

and about the walkways in the reactor, do you suppose you could separate them from each other a bit? they seem a little close together

they arent even ATTATCHED to the hanger building. One of the things myself and LDJ are going for here is accuracy to the actual complex.

Watch the movie again. I have it right in front of me. The hallway is right across from the big door that opens up to the catwalks. It is inside the hanger.

Originally posted by WhiteShdw

I recommend that you don't try to change the hills so that they are green. There is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that is at work that makes them appear blue and hence, creates the correct appearance of depth. If the hills were green they would appear much closer than they actually are (in the movie). The hint of blue is supposed to be there (anyone that lives near mountains and views them from far away can tell you that). So, it's perfect as is.

I know you already said that Terragen does this automatically, I just don't want some silly person to try and convince you to alter it.

-Anakin

I'll have to post the pics LDJ sent me, I see, to prove my point here.

Keo, by the drawings, the only place that second doorway could lead is outside the hanger. The only other things on that side of the hanger are two smaller buildings that, in no way, could house that hallway.

I'm not going to get into an extended debate over this. Here's what it's going to boil down to : I have LOT on my plate with this map at the moment. IF (and this is not a small chance) I still feel I want to put it in when I get the rest of the map completed, I'll add it in over there. I'll figure that out when I get there, however. I've already added in a small, but very nice, section of the map, and it has delayed me from getting the hard part done (the reactor and pit rooms). I want to get those done before I add on anything else.

So, how about we put those rooms on hold, say, and re-open that discussion later?

With that... off to work (REAL work...) I go.

Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

I recommend that you don't try to change the hills so that they are green. There is a SCIENTIFIC FACT that is at work that makes them appear blue and hence, creates the correct appearance of depth. If the hills were green they would appear much closer than they actually are (in the movie). The hint of blue is supposed to be there (anyone that lives near mountains and views them from far away can tell you that). So, it's perfect as is.

I know you already said that Terragen does this automatically, I just don't want some silly person to try and convince you to alter it.

take a look at the naboo picture... it was a clear day, no haze, fog, etc. could probably reduce the haze density a bit to give it just a touch.

Shadriss and LDJ are right about everything. I think I have the same book as LDJ -- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode 1 -- and the hallway that Padmé and the Naboo soldiers run down comes out at the river. I'm not sure if George Lucas made a mistake by ignoring the exterior view of the hanger and palace or if he made a mistake in not showing the difference between the hall leading off from the hanger and the hall leading up to the throne room.

I was planning on pointing this out, earlier, but I thought I'd just be ignored considering a lot of mappers forget about the layout of the areas they are mapping and do whatever they want. I prefer to look at a level and say: "Wow! That's just like the movie!" instead of "Hey, what the hell is that doing there?" It seems that Shadriss and LDJ are trying to stay true to the hanger and reactor rooms.

LDJ, you seemed to know a lot about the reactor room. When I first got your map a immediately put in my DVD and matched everything up. It was perfect down to the letter. The reactor is bigger then that, but frame-rate and all that messes with it. You even showed me that, yes, the walkway from the Hanger does run straight to the exhaust shaft.

I look forward to playing your updated map to death :D

Yeah as all other people have said

and if you watch film as well whenthe naboo fighters take off look where that Tank fires from youll see that theres two small side buildings attached.

This is one of those Lucas mistakes of not paying attention to the models that are made. Take Empire strikes backs gantry for example.

The actual palace with the room where they capture the viceroy is 1 mile to the right of the hanger across another river

IF you actually listen to the film when they are planning the attack

Armidala says "We can enter the palace from the waterfall side.

Now just lower than the cliff edge in front of the Hanger is a secret path that you can see in the plan drawings that leads upto the palace.

They basically exit the Hanger through that door. Work their way along the Cliff and into the palace.

Dont forget that in films they can cut events :p For example A NEW HOPE they dont show the whole trip luke and ben take from Cantina to falcon :p :p :p

Operational Reality Time, folks.

I've started on the reactor room. There has been much discussion about the platform arrangement, the levels, etc., in this room.

Now, here's what the drawings have :

12 Plasma Tubes, arranged in two concentric half-circles of six each. Each row is connected to the other tubes in it's half-circle by platforms, and the two half-circles are connected at the ends. There is one level above the main catwalk (the long one to the pit room) and 3 below it, one of which is FAR below it. Lifts (assumed) connect the different platform levels at each end of the platforms.

Here's what I propose to actually use, in an effort to shrink the room slightly and improve FPS somewhat :

8 tubes (2 less than the original map) arranged in two half-circles of 4 each. Platforms will be connected to each other as in the drawings. They will still be directly over each other, and thus, we will rely on either Force Jump 2+ or the aforementioned lifts to move between levels. I will also only use three levels total (one above and two below the main catwalk... coincidently corrisponding with all the levels used during the duel).

Any concerns or questions should be posted VERY soon... as once I start putting the platforms in place, I dont intend to stop to rearrange the room.

THat's it for now. TTFN.

Shadriss and LDJ are right about everything. I think I have the same book as LDJ -- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode 1 -- and the hallway that Padmé and the Naboo soldiers run down comes out at the river. I'm not sure if George Lucas made a mistake by ignoring the exterior view of the hanger and palace or if he made a mistake in not showing the difference between the hall leading off from the hanger and the hall leading up to the throne room.

Also in response to LivingDead....

All I have to say is that if you watch the Phantom Menace, right after Darth Maul appears in the Hangar and Anakin shoots down the destroyer droids, Amidala and crew go through a door(opposite the door which Darth Maul, QuiGon and Obi went through) and through the open door you can see down the hallway which I've been referring to. I don't know about any drawings or whatever, but being that we are only seeing the inside and not outside of the map, it doesn't really matter.

8 tubes (2 less than the original map) arranged in two half-circles of 4 each. Platforms will be connected to each other as in the drawings. They will still be directly over each other, and thus, we will rely on either Force Jump 2+ or the aforementioned lifts to move between levels. I will also only use three levels total (one above and two below the main catwalk... coincidently corrisponding with all the levels used during the duel).

I say leave it at 12 tubes. Don't make it inaccurate for the sake of FPS(unless the 8 tubes are more accurate).

I will also only use three levels total (one above and two below the main catwalk... coincidently corrisponding with all the levels used during the duel).

I don't think that will look right. The reactor room was very great in size. I like how LDJ did it. There needs to be at very least two levels above the catwalk. Even where they were fighting, there were still several levels above them.

Archived