Home

Star Wars : Deception (SP Level)

Shadriss

At last, I turn my attentions to the world of the SP level.

I haven't done much work as yet, but I do have a pretty basic storyline in place, and am develpoing it right now. This means learning to script and do cutscenes as well, but, hey, it should be worth it.

So, naturally, I plan to do this right, which will mean, eventually, getting a few people to do some voice acting for me. But, ,before that, a few basics.

This is PLANNED to be the first of 6 or 7 total maps. The overall title is, as noted in the thread name "Star Wars : Deception". The first chapter is tentatively titled "Dark Influence"

Characters :

John Doe : The Player Character. His name and origins are not known (although they will be revealed in the course of the storyline).

Fae Vicktus : A Dark Jedi, working for Lord Malice. Believes himself and his Master to be the rebirth of the Sith Order.

Lord Malice : Believes himself to be the heir to the Sith ideals, he has begun to build the secretive group back up to what it once was long before - before the Jedi Order reduced it to near oblivion - a large group of force-wielders who believe that "might makes right".

Meirin Dai'shan : A Jedi Knight of the New Order, Meirin has been assigned to locate and bring back John Doe... though that's not the name SHE knows him as...

Time Frame : For the moment, I'm setting it some number of years AFTER the Yuzhan Vong war, as only then would the Jedi Order have rebuilt itself to the point where my storyline is feasable. (And so that I dont get flamed by avid EU readers TOO badly.)

I'm not gonna reveal too much of the storyline, but at one point during the story, you WILL be a Dark Jedi yourself. Which means killing good guys. :D

I've done a few sections of the first map, mostly to lay out ideas for the corridor designs, and I'll get screenshots up as I get them. Anyone who wishes to assist me (particularly in the areas of scripting for cutscenes...) by all means, contact me via e-mail. This also includes the Voice Actors, though I wont be seriously looking at those until the map itself it layed out.

Originally posted by Shadriss

For the moment, I'm setting it some number of years AFTER the Yuzhan Vong war, as only then would the Jedi Order have rebuilt itself to the point where my storyline is feasable.

but what if the vong actually win? :p

story line sounds interesting, btw. :)

Yes, this sounds interesting. Good story is the true pillar of any adventure. Still, as a one who knows how much it takes to learn a lot while mapping, I, gingerly, suggest one thing: please make your maps, in the big picture, in such a form, that you can cut down the project, if it begins to seems it's just a little bit too big. I mean, even a packet of four large maps is an achievement.

During past months, we have all witnessed the rise and quick fall of some extraordinary projects started by gifted people, who just didn't after all have the time or spirit to finish what they commenced.

Don't get my intentions wrong, I'm as happy as anyone that we will get quality levels. Cheers and Good luck!

Hmm, a single player level with vong would kick major ass...

And we still don't exactly know what will happen at the end of NJO. I believe that the Vong will be spared and that they shall be accepted into the galaxy. *Thinks about Destiny's Way and all of the bs Jacen Solo talked about..*

Originally posted by Pnut_Master

Hmm, a single player level with vong would kick major ass...

And we still don't exactly know what will happen at the end of NJO. I believe that the Vong will be spared and that they shall be accepted into the galaxy. *Thinks about Destiny's Way and all of the bs Jacen Solo talked about..*

I dunno...I think that most of the warriors will head back to their own galaxy with their tails between their legs, but that maybe the workers and such will stay here (they worship the Jedi, so why would they go).

Map idea sounds good (6 is a long series), but I can't say much till I see some screenies.

Not at the moment, Pnut. I simply dont have enough time anymore. I'm in a Tech School right now, and while I may have more time over the break to play, once school starts back up in Jan, my hours go hella long. Think 7:30am to 5pm. Even once school is done, I'll be reassigned to a sea-going command, ,and then NOONE will know what my hours are... least of all me.

I have a couple screenies... not posted yet, but they will be. Of course, for the moment, they are just "sketches" and not the level itself. I'm still laying that out on paper. Only reason I posted the WIP so soon was because I told a couple people about it via MSN Messenger, and they said the best way to get the help and support I'll need is to go ahead and do it.

Speaking of help and support, I still haven't the foggiest of where to begin learning to script cutscenes. Any help guys?

EDIT : I think you guys made an assumption that there would be Vong in the level - Not gonna happen. Just so the record is straight.

I'm interested in getting to SP maps after a couple more free-for-alls, too. Cutscene and scripting tutorials are really scarce, though. I think somebody started a cutscene tutorial, but I've forgotten who, it had stuff about basic camera controls, which apparently is all you need to know...beyond the rest of scripting! If anybody knows of any good scripting tutorials out there, please send! It would help all of us. :)

Shadriss, I think the idea sounds VERY cool. I would love to have some SP maps that go as in depth as the Raven game did. THere are too many out there that just say, here is a bunch of connected rooms with such-and-such a theme, and they happen to be full of stormies, go blast 'em. Those wear out REAL quickly. The Mace Windu one looks to be good, and you seem to have a really well-thought out idea of where you want to go, which means that you can probably pull it off. From your storyline suggestions I'd say that this is a fairly sweeping epic...I dunno, I'd hold out for a 6-part mission. I would suggest, however, planning it so that 1-3 encapsulate the story fairly well and it COULD be ended there if need be, then you can release 4-6 as you make them and just expand the story (hmmm...seems like the movies...seriously, A New Hope can be watched as a single movie, or you can include it in the Classic Trilogy, either way works). It would probably also be good to releases the levels as they come out...people can just get their hands on them one at a time, add to them as they go. to be continued...

[PS, sounds like you have to 'accelerate your life,' huh? :D]

Go for it!

Actually, that's the plan. I never planned to do all six (or whatever) and release them as a whole - can you imagine the download times for slower modems? *shudder* Each will be able to sorta-kinda stand alone, but they will all be a part of the overall story line.

I'm still looking for someone who know scripting somewhat, though I do now have two differnt tuts on it (one by Kengo, and the other for ST : Elite Force) but I haven't really explored those in-depth yet.

In the news side of things - I have actually begun level construction. THe only area I have mapped out so far is a small section of hallway that will ber a part of the Secure Wing of a small hospital Facility.

Also, for those who haven't seen it, I've put up a big project overview on my Showcase site (http://shadriss.moonfruit.com) that has the overall idea, a brief on the main characters as they stand at this moment, and the intended scolling script for Chapter One : Dark Influence.

I have come to a conclusion though : I AM going to need a few new models. For my story to work, I'll need the following (If I can get them, ,anyways... :( ) :

A model for the Main Character. He's male, about 35-40, and he's had a real bad week. I dont have any images in my head for this guy, so anything would be good, really.

A "Sith Master" type model. I could use the Palpatine one, if I need to, , but I'm not sure how well it will work out yet, let alone if I can even get permission for it.

A "Dark Jedi" type. Lots of those out there, just need to pick one out, I guess.

A "New Republic Trooper" model. This will be the cannon-fodder type for this series. Obviously, Stormtroopers just wont work.

Finally, a series of three (two at the minimum) Jedi models. Obviously, I cant yet say wht these are for...

Any modeler out there who wishes to assist with these will be appreciated much in the same fashion as God is. If anyone knows of models tht are already out there that may suffice for these roles, feel free to post them here - it would save a LOT of work on someone's part.

Think that's about it for now... unless someone thinks they can do the texture work, much as WhiteShdw did for me with DoTF? He's got other projects (AOTCTC) and while I can probobly get by on what Raven has provided, I'd rather come up with at least a FEW new ones.

TTFN.

Originally posted by wedge2211

I think somebody started a cutscene tutorial, but I've forgotten who, it had stuff about basic camera controls, which apparently is all you need to know...beyond the rest of scripting! If anybody knows of any good scripting tutorials out there, please send! It would help all of us. :)

That would be me, http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials.html :)

I'm gonna add some more complex stuff in the next few weeks as soon as I finish my next map.

The project sounds great, I love MP maps but for me you can't beat playing SP :D Releasing each map seperately sounds very wise, and gthe combination of customs models, textures, voice acting, cutscenes and a strong plot could make this a classic series, good luck!

BTW, I got a couple of good voice actors who worked on the SP map I've almost finished at the moment, if you are looking for voice actors later on in the mapping process then maybe I could pass on their contact details to ya, maybe we should wait to see how the map turns out and how they do first tho :)

Thanks, Kengo. But both the cenimatics and the voice acting are a bit of distancec in the future. Heck, I'm still trying to piece the map together. I'm trtying to be a bit more intricate than I was with my MP levels... so it's taking time.

What I'd REALLY love is to get a kind of staff together - I have a good storyline, but not the know how to put all the aspects together. For anyone who's interested, what I REALLY could use is a good mapper to work with. It's nicec to work by one's self, I guess, but two heads, for this thing, are better than one. Anyone else can help as well... just not sure when I'll get to the rest of it as yet.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, a progress report.

I've finally established what the objectives (game-lplay wise) will be, and that kind of determined the layout, in general terms, of the map. Thus, I have done some actual mapping work now, and even have the screenshots to prove it. They can be viewed at http://shadriss.moonfruit.com

It'll be listed under, naturally, "SW - Deception"

Only seven shots, but as yet, I only have the secure wing of the hospital area mapped out. Most of the lighting it put in, though some of it will undergo a few changes, I'm sure.

Criticism, though ugly, is welcome. Hech, I want to make a quality product here, ,after all.

Again, anyone who wishes to assist, let me know.

Wedge - click on the pics. They'll be bigger. Not MUCH bigger, but it's the best I can do.

I finished up the hospital wing this morning, and am moving on to the hospital foyer. It wont be too big or elaborate, so I don't imagine it will take too long, and then it's on to the military base itself. THAT will take some time.

:)

Good move, Yun. Fortunately, architecture isn't that gret a problem for me anymore. All I'm doing right now is working the level itself. The scripting and such will come later, once I know what the background will be. For the cinematics, I mean. :)

*sigh* As I had feared, my mapping hours have been adversely impacted by my work hours. Work on this map has NOT cesed, but the amount of progress has slowed considerably, as I only have one or two hours a day to work on it.

It also means it's next to impossible for me to get in contact with Kal_El (Aka WhiteShdw) for his help and support, which he once again is providing me, much as he did for DOTF2. SO welcome aboard the project to him... though even HE only knows the general outline of the story. :)

Originally posted by Shadriss

For anyone who's interested, what I REALLY could use is a good mapper to work with. It's nicec to work by one's self, I guess, but two heads, for this thing, are better than one.

I'm not sure how much time I would be able to devote to your project, Shadriss - what with Hogwarts and college and work taking up most of my time already. That having been said, i'm officially laying down my offer for help (if you want it). I don't know if you'd consider me a good mapper or not (I haven't seen your criteria ;)) but the offer is there.

Archived