Home

Would Smeagol have been redeemed?(LOTR SPOILERS)

ET Warrior

I thought this when i first read the books, and now after seeing the movies i am more convinced, that had Frodo not been forced to betray smeagol to faramir and company to save his life, that smeagol would have been free of Gollum and would not have betrayed Frodo and Sam. Do you agree? Or do you think that he was too poisoned by the ring to ever be redeemed?

if u see the movie u could think its true. if he wasnt captured by faramir he wouldnt have a reason to betray his master.

but if u read the book u will see that before they even get to faramir, gollum/smeagol is already talkin about "SHE will do it" ;)

so even if he wanted to be free, he would always desire the ring and would do anything to get his it back. (see/read ROTK)

I tend to believe in the LOTR trilogy - even those with the best intentions at heart have been tempted by the One Ring, and do not wish to have it, as they know it is something that they can not handle. We see Gandalf reject it, not ask to be offered it, as well as Galadriel, although making a song and a dance about what kind of queen she would be, never really asks for it either.

These are the best people that Middle Earth has to offer, even though only tempted with it, shows that someone who has had the Ring will want it immensely. Gollum/Smeagol is always a fine balance, even by heading off to enter by Cirith Ungol, it is Gollum at work to pass by Shelob. Smeagol has been in the background for so long, that even after a relatively short period of time, that Gollum will still dominate him.

I think that Tolkien showed that Sam treated Gollum badly since he was considered evil, a traitor, had given the name of Baggins and Shire to Sauron. This is what bought Gollum out, that Sam didn't show him pity, so he always cowed away from Sam. In some senses it was Frodo that bought out Smeagol, and Sam that bought out Gollum. Even so, he still intends to take him via an almost inpassable path..

Originally posted by Lunatic Jedi

When he says SHE will do it, who's she?

If its a spoiler, just PM it to me.

ur answer is here lunatic jedi

dont read it if u dont want to know who gollum was refering to as SHE

SHE is shelob, an evil spiderlady who lives in a dark cave and eats evrything she gets in sight ;)

when gollum escaped mordor (set free) he needed to pass shelob and promised her he would bring some meat to keep his own life.

I'm still uncertain, i thought that smeagol had made his appearance and finally rid himself of gollum when i read the book, but it was the betrayal of frodo that gave gollum his hold on smeagol again, that's how i felt when i read the book, and that's how i feel after seein the movie.....he just seemed so sincerely happy to be rid of gollum and he just wanted to help his master......but i can see all your points as well.

but if u read the book u will see that before they even get to faramir, gollum/smeagol is already talkin about "SHE will do it"

I read all the books last year, but once smeagol had rid himself of gollums influence he was no longer talking about killing them.

Archived