Home

Time Travel...the impossible possibility

ET Warrior

Well, again i'll go into the realm of physics to discuss another interesting thing, and that is time travel. Just wondering whether any of you think we'll advance enough to actually travel through time. The physics of it have been figured out basically....however at the moment the ability to do it is completely and totally impossible.

First, we must locate Quantum foam, which we aren't sure exists, and then we must be able to locate the wormhole IN that foam, THEN we have to figure out how to enlarge the wormhole big enough for a person to pass through, accelerate one end of the hole to nearly the speed of light which we of course cannot do, and then we need enough exotic matter equalling the mass of Jupiter to hold the wormhole open long enough to prevent being smashed in it while going through (exotic matter is matter with a negative charge...it is not found naturally in nature, and is not easy to create even small amounts of it)

So there it is ladies and gentlemen, as easy as me jumping to the moon tomorrow morning :D

Thats not going to happen for awhile.......Defintely not in my lifetime, by then DVD players would be 50 cents. It would be fairly cool though, hopefully it'll happen in the next 500 years, but, anythings possible. Yet again there is another book about this by the same person who did Universe in a Nutshell. Forgot the name of the book....

Einstein said nothing can be accelerated up to the speed of light because it will infinitely gain mass, however, what if something was going the speed of light already, or faster? For example, researchers have proven that tachyons fired in a containment can reach the speed of light without accelerating to it, and they can move faster than the speed of light, up to 1.5 times faster with today's technology. However, time travel is another story. As Dr McCoy put it, Just head towards a supergiant at maximum warp acceleration and slingshot around it, praying you don't burn up in the process. (or something like that). I believe that one day in the very distant future, we will be able to study time and achieve time travel, but by then, who knows what else will be happening. How many world/galactic wars will have taken place. How many times mankind has been on the brink of annihilation. What species we may discover.

I'd just like to point out that we already travel through time, albeit in an uncontrollable direction :D

Posted by Andy867

Einstein said nothing can be accelerated up to the speed of light because it will infinitely gain mass, however, what if something was going the speed of light already, or faster? For example, researchers have proven that tachyons fired in a containment can reach the speed of light without accelerating to it, and they can move faster than the speed of light, up to 1.5 times faster with today's technology.

Eh?? Tachyons always move faster than light - they can't decelerate to below the speed of light! :eyeraise:

Do you have a souce for that "up to 1.5 times faster" bit?

"Reality is just an ever present now."

I'm no good on the physics of this, but if there's one thing that history has told us, it's that whatever might seem impossible in the current event of things, might very well be possible in the future.

I can't imagine going back in time. Forward is fine, but backwards would likely create some serious paradoxes.

Yea I do, McMillan's Earth Science for my 7th grade year ;) . I never said it to decelerate below the speed of light. I just said when fired it would reach the speed of light without having to accelerate as in going from 0- speed of light.

Originally posted by Cjais

I can't imagine going back in time. Forward is fine, but backwards would likely create some serious paradoxes.

Strange how you mention that because I was watching "There will always be Paris" episode from the first season of Star Trek: TNG last night/this morning, and they were dealing with time and the time constant and how gravity can affect it, etc. and how there were many paradoxes/dimensions. Of course it was at 3am, so if I mess up a part of the description of the episode, please feel free to correct me.

Originally posted by Andy867

Einstein said nothing can be accelerated up to the speed of light because it will infinitely gain mass, however, what if something was going the speed of light already, or faster? For example, researchers have proven that tachyons fired in a containment can reach the speed of light without accelerating to it, and they can move faster than the speed of light, up to 1.5 times faster with today's technology.

But tachyons don't have any mass do they? (i honestly don't know)

Because anything with no mass can conceivably go at the speed of light, and can go faster. But something with mass has two problems. First, distance dilates as you approach relativistic speeds. Something moving at 87% of the speed of light appears to be half as long, at 99.5% it looks one tenth the size, but AT the speed of light length is zero.....which makes one wonder what happens to a person. Another problem is Momentum. A person moving at the speed of light would require infinite momentum to propel them, and to have infinite momentum you must have infinite impulse (impulse is force times time, so to get infinite impulse, you would need an infinite force) which is completely impossible as we understand physics today.

In My Opinion time travel (for humans/on earth) is not going to happen, If it is going to happen then surely someone would travel back in time and give us the technology or at least leave some record of timetravel, unless people can only leap forward in time thousands of years, but they mught be afraid of what they find.

Also I dont think you have to accellerate to the speed of light, maybe you could find something travelling that fast and hitch a ride?

Originally posted by Lost Welshman

Also I dont think you have to accellerate to the speed of light, maybe you could find something travelling that fast and hitch a ride?

No, you couldn't, because anything that is already moving at the speed of light has no mass, and therefore has nothing to hook onto. Also, to go from non-motion to motion requires acceleration. There is no way to simply go from 0 to any speed instantaneously.

Originally posted by Cjais

[bI can't imagine going back in time. Forward is fine, but backwards would likely create some serious paradoxes. [/b]

Yes I have to agree with you because who knows... what if some psyco gets a hold of a time machine, goes back in time and screws a ton of things up... But time travel will no occur for a VERY long time... sheesh I can't even get my TV to work.

Originally posted by Andy867 For example, researchers have proven that tachyons fired in a containment can reach the speed of light without accelerating to it, and they can move faster than the speed of light, up to 1.5 times faster with today's technology.

Hey guys, last I checked, tachyons were theoretical particles, and I think they were disproven after a lack of the radiation they were thought to have produced in a vacuum...unless you can provide an article or other credible source proving these experiments.

Yes I have to agree with you because who knows... what if some psyco gets a hold of a time machine, goes back in time and screws a ton of things up... But time travel will no occur for a VERY long time... sheesh I can't even get my TV to work.

Hey, maybe someone already did go back in time and thats why things are screwed up now

Sorry im spoiling these threads, but from a scientist...

Time travel is theoretically impossible. The only way to travel back in time it to travel faster than the speed of light, which is impossible :).

That ends that :D

AND TO ANYONE THAT SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT DAM TRANSPORTERS!!!!!!....

They did indeed transport a molecule of oxygen, however, they were not sure if it was the same molecule, fools.

Essentially what a transporter does it break down whatever is there into their molecules, and reconstruct the molecules in the same order somewhere else.......after that explanation im sure you wouldnt want to get transported somewhere :D

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

Sorry im spoiling these threads, but from a scientist...

Time travel is theoretically impossible. The only way to travel back in time it to travel faster than the speed of light, which is impossible :).

That ends that :D

No, actually it doesn't really end that....because time travel is THEORETICALLY possible. It is impossible right now as we understand physiscs, but theoretically it could be done.

We could only ever travel back in time though. To travel forward in time hasnt even got a theory at the moment.

I said "The only way to travel back in time it to travel faster than the speed of light, which is impossible". I can now remember why isnt impossible :rolleyes:. At such speeds mass becomes infinite and nothing would survive it. Time travel is theoretically possible, but...you can only travel back in time very slowly. You cant just jump back millions of years instantly. With current theories it would take a very long time.

probably about a millenia or so to grasp and begin the process of working the physics into it.

And about transporters. It will be possible within the next 500 years to transport matter. We just don't have the technology to handle that complicated of "data." But once we begin researching and expanding and tweaking our technology, it will be only a matter of time till we hear, " Beam me up, Scotty."

Originally posted by Andy867

probably about a millenia or so to grasp and begin the process of working the physics into it.

And about transporters. It will be possible within the next 500 years to transport matter. We just don't have the technology to handle that complicated of "data." But once we begin researching and expanding and tweaking our technology, it will be only a matter of time till we hear, " Beam me up, Scotty."

Yes. But would you really want to be taken apart on the molecular level?? If you understand the physics of it its quite frightening :eek:

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

We could only ever travel back in time though. To travel forward in time hasnt even got a theory at the moment.

I said "The only way to travel back in time it to travel faster than the speed of light, which is impossible". I can now remember why isnt impossible :rolleyes:. At such speeds mass becomes infinite and nothing would survive it. Time travel is theoretically possible, but...you can only travel back in time very slowly. You cant just jump back millions of years instantly. With current theories it would take a very long time.

Actually, i read that physicists aren't so much concerned about mass increasing infinite....but they say the impossibility of moving at the speed of light is that Momentum will increase infinitely, and to have infinite momentum you need an infinite impulse, and for an infinite impulse you need an infinite force, which is impossible :D

I believe time travel may be possible, but only if it obeys the law of cause and effect. This effectively rules out travelling to the past. However, this does make one-way trips to the future possible. If time travel is one-way, why even go in the first place?

Archived