Home

[PART II] CHANGES/IDEAS FOR UPCOMING SEQUEL/EXPANSION thread

Smood

Originally posted by Smood:

THIS I RESPECT. Take notes spider AL, from a guy who disagrees with me and makes a fair and good case. TAKE NOTES!

Gaining the respect of someone of your ilk is about as high on my list of things to do as "liquidise sensitive portions of own anatomy" is. I think I'll stick to blunt facts, thanks. :D

Originally posted by Unnamed Jed1:

I’m not saying what Smood is suggesting would “ruin” the game per se.

I am. We've seen it before, and no doubt we'll all see it again in some other game.

Originally posted by ryudom:

ok, so perfect balance might be hard to get, but that doesn't mean you can't increase it. here's some things you could do:

1- Guns: say you went back to the JK1 guns, and added the disruptor and mines.

Go back to JK1 guns? That would only increase the dominance of guns. The Conky was much easier to use than the Flechy is. Ask any good JK1 gunner. :)

anyway, i'm not saying the two should be separated, i didn't say that. i'm just saying sabers could be more more powerfull. don't get me wrong, i started gunning recently, and i love it. but, like i said, i'd still like to be able to kick ass with a saber, if at least sub-average asses hehe

Well, while I agree personally that the sabre should be much more powerful, I'm afraid that to achieve a situation in which the sabre could rival guns, one would have to disempower the guns. No amount of empowerment to the sabre could ever make it the equal of ranged weapons of the power of the flechette, for example. Plus, be realistic. Accept the game for what it is, and what it has been since JK1. Nowhere does it say that lightsabres should be as powerful as other weapons, it is only the fan in each of us that screams that.

3- Force powers: they could add some saber orientated force powers, like another speed, exept this ones a short burst forward, possible lunging at the same time. powers like this could help sabers catch people.

So these powers would only be useful when using the sabre? That's no different than Jedi vs. Merc, it's giving sabreists a free lunch. More advantages. Why? So sabre-fanatics can charge madly at gunners and actually have a chance of winning? That's awful. That's not rewarding skill, it's rewarding a lack of skill.

The sabre IS USEFUL in JO. It was useful in JK. I've killed good people with the sabre, in CTF, in guns FFA, in every damn game mode, in both games. The sabre is only useless, if you're unwilling to use it PROPERLY, in the RIGHT situations.

Like the Tenloss. Only useful in the right situation. As it should be.

And Jeff 42: Agreed. I've tried promod, and it is good fun, and good for sabres. But it's not JO. It is limiting in its nature, especially for someone like me, who played JK before JO. I don't like limitations. Back in the day, when I wanted to play with the sabre only, I joined a sabre only server. When I wanted No Force, I joined a NF server.

Never did you catch me, or any other JK player of any worth, whingeing and whining about guns, in a guns server. Or about Force, in a Full Force server.

We carried that discipline over. Others should learn it.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spider Al and Det are right. Those who say otherwise don't know who they are talking to. Except i think the game should be faster more similar to jk1. THe conc and destruct are much too powerful for jk2 unless its sped up, so therefore it shouldn't havae stronger guns with larger splash damage, straight firing, and fast moving projectiles like the conc.

SPIDER AL, stop saying ilk!! Sorry but I just had to say that.

You speak as if you are some authority on games with the ability to see through people you don't know and discredit them in the short time you observe them.

Everyone has an opinion, this thread was created to reflect mine. Although most disagree with my views, I still hold them.

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

Oh my bad Prime. :D I didn't really see, I kinda skimmed through... I'll change that sentence to

PERFECT. We finally have someone who knows what he's talking about besides Spider Al, Prime and Vagabond

I was just teasing, Reborn Outcast. I really should have put a smilie next to it instead of a frown. No offense taken :)

As for making the saber on par with guns, I agree that this is not too easy. Right now I think that the saber damage needs to be increased. I've played on some servers with increased damage (2x or 3x normal), and it seemed to make things better. But the point about the limited saber range is well taken. I wonder if perhaps the defensive aspects of the saber are where balance can be attained. Right now, unless you are using secondary fire on some of the bigger guns, the lightsaber is quite effective as a defence. But once once area effect weapons come into play, the saber is pretty useless. I think this is where the imbalance truly lies between sabers and guns.

SPIDER AL, stop saying ilk!! Sorry but I just had to say that.

SMOOD, I'll stop using the word "ilk" when you snatch it from my cold dead hands. It's typical of people of your ilk to try to censor others. :naughty:

You speak as if you are some authority on games with the ability to see through people you don't know and discredit them in the short time you observe them.

If you mean that I can spot an ill-constructed whimsy a mile away, you're right. If you mean I can tell when someone, not unlike yourself, is obviously full of nonsense, you're right. If you mean I know the DF series better than most, you're right.

Everyone has an opinion, this thread was created to reflect mine. Although most disagree with my views, I still hold them.

Good for you. However it's my opinon that your opinion is worth precisely two- count them- two, half-chewed jellybeans. I'm not talking good jellybeans either, I'm talking cheap jellybeans sold on the Russian black market, made out of Uranium.

Please, don't start whingeing with nonsense like: "This is just my OPINION you cant argue with OPINIONS so stfu!!111" Because debate is based on the clash of opinions. Now, you can find whatever you like, fun. But when you request that your idea of fun should be forced onto others, it ceases to be a personal decision. Go and make a mod. Do not attempt to alter the great tradition of the DF series to conform to some hare-brained "More like the movies than like an FPS" idea.

Right now, unless you are using secondary fire on some of the bigger guns, the lightsaber is quite effective as a defence. But once once area effect weapons come into play, the saber is pretty useless. I think this is where the imbalance truly lies between sabers and guns.

That's exactly how it should be. It's silly to think that a lightsaber would be a useful defense against explosive weapons.

So these powers would only be useful when using the sabre? That's no different than Jedi vs. Merc, it's giving sabreists a free lunch. More advantages. Why? So sabre-fanatics can charge madly at gunners and actually have a chance of winning? That's awful. That's not rewarding skill, it's rewarding a lack of skill.

wasn't saying that, you wouldn't be able to "charge madley at gunners". a short burst foward is hardly charging madly, and would require alot of skill and timing. theres some force power out now that are more advantageous for a gunner, and i'm sure there could be more. also, i'd rather get blasted from a precise shooting conc rifle then random balls blowing up everywhere

you wouldn't be able to "charge madley at gunners". a short burst foward is hardly charging madly, and would require alot of skill and timing.

In which case it wouldn't be of any use to 90% of the JO population. It'd just become another spammed move, like DFA. Even so, it's still another device to increase swordsmen's chances of survival against gunners, when they deserve no such thing. If one wants to use a sabre all the time, a sabres only server's the place to do it.

Now don't get me wrong, as I've said before I think the sabre is stupidly weak at the moment... but even if it was a one-hit-kill weapon, it still wouldn't equal guns for versatility. Even with the backswing and the ammo-drain in 1.03, gunners still won against sabreists.

i'd rather get blasted from a precise shooting conc rifle then random balls blowing up everywhere

Maybe you would, but it'd still increase gunners dominance over sabre-users, which was not your idea, no? And it'd be spammed by new players, just like other weapons/attacks. Spam is relatively easy to avoid.

As for random balls, as a player's skill increases, his number of deaths-by-random-effects decreases.

And Jeff is right, so what will you do? Remove all explosive weapons? It's a slippery slope, mate.

Originally posted by Jolts:

been reading the bf1942 star wars mod forums and they are having an argument over not adding jedi into the mod because jedi would be too powerfull against a gunner.

Oh, before anyone runs off to rant about how Jedi are hard done by in JO in that thread, remember that JO is ALL about Jedi. Jedi with guns, Jedi with sabres, Jedi with both. A lightsabre does NOT make someone a Jedi, and likewise holding a gun doesn't mean you're not a Jedi.

It just means you're a more intelligent Jedi. ;)

Best idea for the next game is for the devs to ignore this forum and take input from competitive players. You people are responsible for the way the game currently is you had input on every patch and look what happened. It's a saber newb fest. I say bring the next dark forces game back to the gunners the saberists already have jk2 as it's their definitive vision of the game.

haha GEEZus thats rediculous. obviously you haven't been paying attention to what the anyone's been saying. sure dueling might be alright for sabers, but other then that, read some of the posts here hahaha

Spider Al, as long as you agree that the saber currently is way too underpowered, then i'm happy.

also while this is true:

As for random balls, as a player's skill increases, his number of deaths-by-random-effects decreases.

that wasn't my point. the point was, a good saberer should be able to take out bad gunners. accually thats quite possible when saber damage is like 4x, but anyway

False, I have been playing since the game came out and kept track of things. These forums WERE responsible for the games current state. Sure opinions might have changed since the new patch came out, but at the time it was these forums that made impacts. Maybe if you weren't new to the game you would know this eh?

Originally posted by Jeff 42

That's exactly how it should be. It's silly to think that a lightsaber would be a useful defense against explosive weapons.

and

And Jeff is right, so what will you do? Remove all explosive weapons? It's a slippery slope, mate.

I didn't mean to imply at all that explosive weaponry should be removed. Sorry for my poor choice of words if it sounded like I did. I mearly meant that since the saberist has no defence against these attacks (apart from getting out of the way, etc.) that this makes the saber pretty useless against guns. I was only trying to state the problem as I see it, not propose a solution. I'm not sure what a solution might be, but I certain do not want to see nerfed guns. Explosive weaponry is one of the best parts of the game. Of course the saber shouldn't be able to deflect these attacks.

So is the consensis that saberists should not be able to compete with gunners? If that is the case, the game is like that now, and nothing needs to be changed (besides more damage for the saber, perhaps).

Best idea for the next game is for the devs to ignore this forum and take input from competitive players. You people are responsible for the way the game currently is you had input on every patch and look what happened. It's a saber newb fest. I say bring the next dark forces game back to the gunners the saberists already have jk2 as it's their definitive vision of the game.

I don't get this at all. Firstly, why should the devs only listen to competitive players? The majority of players (i.e. where the majority of sales is coming from) do not look at JO as being a sport or competition. They have other things to fulfill that aspect of their lives. Most just play for a bit of fun. Why are competitive players the only ones that matter? I'm not saying that non-competative players have all great ideas, but they are not all bad either.

And why is the game so bad right now? Wasn't fixing the bounding box problem on DFA and making backstab not an instant kill a good thing? What has ruined this game for you? Why is it a saber newb fest? From this thread alone it seems the general feeling is that newbie saberists get owned by gunners, and that the saber is underpowered. The only argument is whether this is a bad thing or not.

Well actually, if you look at the animation and concept of backstab, then it SHOULD be an instant kill. The problem was that it was too easy to execute. The patch made it harder to execute (not hard enough) AND made it the weakest move in the game. There is simply no reason for it being in the game at all now.

Oh cool, Geezus is back. This should get interesting! :D

Trying to get banned for the 16th time, eh? ;)

Anyways...I don't think this forum is to blame for the patches, Raven is. No-one wanted the absurdity of 1.03. No-one wanted to swing pretty 1.04 glowsticks instead of deadly sabers.

Instead of correcting bugs (DFA etc.) and balancing the game by adding stuff, Raven chose to nerf the hell out of everything.

Unfortunate. :(

that wasn't my point. the point was, a good saberer should be able to take out bad gunners. accually thats quite possible when saber damage is like 4x, but anyway

Well, I can take out bad gunners with my sabre. Anyone can, with a little thought and practice. But yes, I think the sabre could stand to be beefed up, to fix the nerfing of 1.03. Not TOO beefed up though. Just restored to its previous usefulness and all stances made equal with judicious balancing.

NO new force powers for sabreists, NO nerfing of guns.

Originally posted by Prime:

I didn't mean to imply at all that explosive weaponry should be removed.

Didn't say you did! That paragraph was directed to Ryu, in response to the paragraph, by him, that I quoted.

So is the consensis that saberists should not be able to compete with gunners? If that is the case, the game is like that now, and nothing needs to be changed (besides more damage for the saber, perhaps).

Well, for what it's worth, let me put my position on this down clearly:

Someone who chooses to use only one weapon, should lose against people who choose to use all twelve weapons. Is it twelve, not counting the stun baton?.. Oh well, you get the idea.

It's silly to use only one weapon. People should not be rewarded for such silliness with more force powers or abilities, as some people suggest they should. The lightsabre is a good weapon when used properly, and I certainly would never have gone into a game without it... but it was NEVER meant to be all-powerful, or even to equal all the other guns in power. Why bother having guns at all, if the sabre's more powerful? People wouldn't use them if they were weaker than the sabre. All servers would become sabre-only. What would be the point? Silliness.

From this thread alone it seems the general feeling is that newbie saberists get owned by gunners, and that the saber is underpowered. The only argument is whether this is a bad thing or not.

That's true, and IMO the sabre should be more powerful than it is at the moment, but I base that opinion not on adoration of the sabre itself, but a desire for variety. The 1.03 patch nerfed all the sabre moves, nerfed the dark side and nerfed guns. That restricted people. There was NOTHING wrong with 1.02 except the rotation of the DFA, which was an easy bugfix. But instead of that, Raven listened to all the whining fanboys who couldn't be bothered to even practice playing the game.

Originally posted by Luc Solar:

Anyways...I don't think this forum is to blame for the patches, Raven is. No-one wanted the absurdity of 1.03. No-one wanted to swing pretty 1.04 glowsticks instead of deadly sabers.

Actually a lot of wannabe duellists and wannabe FFAers loved 1.03. There were lots of positives on this forum at the time it was released, and the newbies who liked it on the servers I frequented found themselves suddenly able to avoid negative scores.

And certainly, this forum was a huge concentration of whining fanboys at the time of 1.03's release.

"Waaah drain r too powarfal"

"Waaah heal r too powarfal"

"Waaah gunz r too powarfal"

All common sentiments. Oh, I have no doubt that people on this forum contributed to the awfulness that is 1.03. Some of them still exist here.

Originally posted by Luc Solar:

Instead of correcting bugs (DFA etc.) and balancing the game by adding stuff, Raven chose to nerf the hell out of everything.

People asked them to... What Raven did wrong, was listen. My philosophy is: Once a game's released, the next patch should be bugfixes and NOTHING else, no gameplay alterations, and it should be released a minimum of six months after the game goes on sale.

If a game is good, people will play it. If not, they won't. Gameplay altering patches only serve to alienate the people who enjoy the game.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Oh, before anyone runs off to rant about how Jedi are hard done by in JO in that thread, remember that JO is ALL about Jedi. Jedi with guns, Jedi with sabres, Jedi with both. A lightsabre does NOT make someone a Jedi, and likewise holding a gun doesn't mean you're not a Jedi.

It just means you're a more intelligent Jedi. ;)

ROFLOL!! Where do you derive JEDI from? Where are the concepts of a jedi demonstrated? Your idea of a jedi is so skewed that you are talking about a completely different person. I find you give very little weight to the SW movies which should be the foundation of all arguments (about jedi, not gameplay) since they are the official demonstration and outline of what JEDI are (which movie was it that OBI-WAN blasted a storm trooper away again? LOL). Yes, Kyle has the ability to be a gunner and a saberist but this is a game opposed to the LUCAS content delievered in a movie (this is what true jedi are, I'am sure kyle is able to use guns and the saber because doing otherwise would comprimise gameplay in the eyes of the developers. To say an 'INTELLIGENT JEDI' is one who uses both guns and sabers is laughable!

If on the other hand you meant intelligent INDIVIDUAL/GAMER that is different but JEDI NO!

Originally posted by Smood

ROFLOL!! Where do you derive JEDI from? Where are the concepts of a jedi demonstrated? Your idea of a jedi is so skewed that you are talking about a completely different person. I find you give very little weight to the SW movies which should be the foundation of all arguments (about jedi, not gameplay) since they are the official demonstration and outline of what JEDI are (which movie was it that OBI-WAN blasted a storm trooper away again? LOL). Yes, Kyle has the ability to be a gunner and a saberist but this is a game opposed to the LUCAS content delievered in a movie (this is what true jedi are, I'am sure kyle is able to use guns and the saber because doing otherwise would comprimise gameplay in the eyes of the developers. To say an 'INTELLIGENT JEDI' is one who uses both guns and sabers is laughable!

If on the other hand you meant intelligent INDIVIDUAL/GAMER that is different but JEDI NO!

Why do you insist on making the game like the movie. I didn't buy the game to play the movie, I bought it because it looked fun. I don't care if my Jedi can use guns because ITS FUN. And I believe that 90% of the JO gamers will agree.

And we're talking about the game here not real Jedi. Spider-Al is right.

I play this game way less than most of you, yes I did play a lot during the summer, but now I play for less than an hour every few days. People that compete just like the game style better and innovate things into the game. I am sorry to inform you but EVERYONE who plays games competes. Are you not trying to beat your opponent in rpg duels or ffa's? Some people just have more of a competitive edge and unless you do nothing, but mindless rpg in the game you too compete. Almost everyone uses play styles similar to the best competitors in the game now, most of which were displeased by the game and the outcome of the patches. 1.02 would've been fine besides the invisibility bug, but thanks to people's bitching on these forums the disaster of 1.03 occured and caused a lot of people to stop playing.

Thanks for the support, Reborn and Det, but Smood's just plain wrong about everything, as usual.

ROFLOL!! Where do you derive JEDI from? Where are the concepts of a jedi demonstrated? Your idea of a jedi is so skewed that you are talking about a completely different person. I find you give very little weight to the SW movies which should be the foundation of all arguments (about jedi, not gameplay) since they are the official demonstration and outline of what JEDI are

"Roflol." Variations on a theme.

Ah, I see. Let's examine the SW films you give so much "weight" to. Maybe you think that only Jedi carry lightsabres?

Wrong.

I point you towards Qui-Gon Jinn's line in The Phantom Menace, in which he states that just because Anakin saw that he had a lightsabre, doesn't necessarily mean that he's a Jedi:

Qui-Gon: "Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him."

Perhaps, SMOOD... you think that only Jedi can use lightsabres?

Wrong.

I point you towards the scene early in The Empire Strikes Back, in which Han cuts open his dead tauntaun so that Luke can use the hapless creature's body heat to stay warm. He uses Luke's lightsabre to do this.

Han: "Agh... I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

which movie was it that OBI-WAN blasted a storm trooper away again? LOL

Ohh, so you believe that those adept in the Force "can't" use guns for some reason?

Wrong.

I refer you to The Empire Strikes Back, in which Luke uses a blaster regularly, not just after being trained by Obi-Wan, but Yoda too.

Not to mention (As Det noted) the fact that there are no rocket launchers or flechettes in the original films. If there were, you might have seen some scenes of Jedi wielding them, as the lightsabre is very effective against energy blasters, but not so against explosives.

Congratulations SMOOD, you've achieved a truly amazing feat. You've proven that your knowledge of Star Wars canon is just as feeble as your knowledge of gameplay balance. And that's saying something.

To say an 'INTELLIGENT JEDI' is one who uses both guns and sabers is laughable!

The fact that you think so would perhaps be laughable, if it weren't so pitiful. :disaprove

ROFLOL!! Where do you derive JEDI from? Where are the concepts of a jedi demonstrated? Your idea of a jedi is so skewed that you are talking about a completely different person. I find you give very little weight to the SW movies which should be the foundation of all arguments (about jedi, not gameplay) since they are the official demonstration and outline of what JEDI are (which movie was it that OBI-WAN blasted a storm trooper away again? LOL).

I have to admit I chuckled when I read this. Just to add to what Spider Al has said about others being able to use lightsabers, there are other references to non-jedi using sabers (but not to the same level of skill, you can be sure). In A New Hope Obi-wan himself states that lightsabers were once widely used, "still are, in some galactic quarters". Since Obi and Yoda are the only Jedi left after the purge, this would indicate that others use lightsabers as well.

If you need a more explicit example of a saber/guns user, I direct you to the entry for Aurra Sing at starwars.com. Note that under weapon it lists: Lightsaber, projectile rifle, blasters. You will agree that Aurra uses the saber to do more than turning a Tauntaun into a fort :D

Also, in addition to Luke using a blaster on a regular basis, he also used explosives (I leave the reader to decide what type it might be) to take out the AT-AT at the Battle of Hoth. A nice example of a Jedi using an array of weaponry, including the lightsaber, to be that much more effective.

Smood, I do agree with you in that personally I like having the Jedi portrayed properly, not just for game purposes, but for Star Wars purposes. But that's just my own selfish desire, and I wouldn't inflict this view on other players. But I think that the Jedi have been represented in good faith.

However, I sense that you are of the younger generation, whose view of Star Wars deals mainly with the Prequals. This is perfectly valid, but remember, there are many like me who are of an older generation, who grew up with Luke as our Jedi hero and Han as our "merc" hero. Believe me when I say that there are many out there who are my age that are drawn to the Dark Forces series just as much for the smart-talking mercenary (who wasn't a Han fan back then?) aspect as for the Jedi aspect. And the fact that these two types have been brought together in one character is very appealing for us old guys. I mean, the lightsabering brilliance of Luke combined with the wit and toughness of Han? My stars! :D So don't be so quick to say that JO is un-Star Wars. Because that's not true at all.

P.S. When our hero Obi-wan was actively battling the forces of evil, there were no Stormtroopers to blast.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Thanks for the support, Reborn and Det, but Smood's just plain wrong about everything, as usual.

"Roflol." Variations on a theme.

Ah, I see. Let's examine the SW films you give so much "weight" to. Maybe you think that only Jedi carry lightsabres?

Wrong.

I point you towards Qui-Gon Jinn's line in The Phantom Menace, in which he states that just because Anakin saw that he had a lightsabre, doesn't necessarily mean that he's a Jedi:

Qui-Gon: "Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him."

Perhaps, SMOOD... you think that only Jedi can use lightsabres?

Wrong.

I point you towards the scene early in The Empire Strikes Back, in which Han cuts open his dead tauntaun so that Luke can use the hapless creature's body heat to stay warm. He uses Luke's lightsabre to do this.

Han: "Agh... I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

Ohh, so you believe that those adept in the Force "can't" use guns for some reason?

Wrong.

I refer you to The Empire Strikes Back, in which Luke uses a blaster regularly, not just after being trained by Obi-Wan, but Yoda too.

Not to mention (As Det noted) the fact that there are no rocket launchers or flechettes in the original films. If there were, you might have seen some scenes of Jedi wielding them, as the lightsabre is very effective against energy blasters, but not so against explosives.

Congratulations SMOOD, you've achieved a truly amazing feat. You've proven that your knowledge of Star Wars canon is just as feeble as your knowledge of gameplay balance. And that's saying something.

The fact that you think so would perhaps be laughable, if it weren't so pitiful. :disaprove

It is not a matter that they cannot physically do something, its the principle that they do not. If you do not wish the game to be based on the movie that is fine, I respect that, but to say intelligent 'JEDI' are ones who use guns and sabers is stupid!

If you are saying an intelligent JO jedi/player, then I understand. But JEDI NO. THEY CAN PHYSICALLY USE WEAPONS but they do not by choice!!!

If you are saying an intelligent JO jedi/player, then I understand. But JEDI NO. THEY CAN PHYSICALLY USE WEAPONS but they do not by choice!!!

So, you're essentially admitting you're a stupid JO player with that first line, right?

You couldn't cut it, could you? Instead of learning, adapting, changing yourself to make yourself a better player, you took to whining. Your "opinion" is unfeasible, unrealistic, and so typical of those who are rigid. This is a game, not the movies. It contains many elements taken from the Star Wars universe, but it was never intended to be a recreation of it.

You want an RPG? Guess what, you already have something close enough to it. It's called mods. There you can live out your fantasies of being a jedi, with all the kiss and sit emotes that you could ever dream of! Or you can wait for Star Wars Galaxies, though good luck on that one. Verant is notorious for shafting anybody and everybody for no real reason at all.

Your attempts to glorify the saber are hilarious. Considering the imagery associated with it, I'm sure Freud would be quite interested in you.

Archived