Home

UPDATE - Bioware NOT to be bought by Microsoft?

StormHammer

I just read an article at C&VG that Bioware is probably being bought by Microsoft, and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on it. Do you think it's a good or bad idea, and do you think it will have any impact on other potential SW RPG's on the PC platform?

Personally, I always have qualms when the big sharks (no matter who they might be) go out on a buying spree to gobble up the smaller fish. I've seen quite a few good development houses go down the tubes that way...because the publisher has some kind of financial difficulty somewhere down the line, and ditches whatever assets it sees fit - or they meddle too much with their new acquisition and turn it into something else, which can be detrimental to it's appeal.

Does this bother other people, or not?

Yes, it always bothers me when a company is bought out...

But, as long as KotOR is made before this may happen, I'll be happy. But if a KotOR 2 is ever produced, let's hope it to be as good, if not better, than the original, just like BGII was to the original.

Originally posted by Katarn07

But if a KotOR 2 is ever produced, let's hope it to be as good, if not better, than the original, just like BGII was to the original.

Yes, but would a KOTOR 2 ever be developed? Remember Lucasarts holds the license to develop SW games, and has sub-contracted the work to BioWare. They did go via Activision to engage Raven in the production of Jedi Outcast...but would Microsoft be open to the same kind of deal?

For most games, I am not sure cause personally I don't get many games from them and don't know much about their history. But for a Star Wars RPG? Hey, jeust any SW game, yeah, I'm sure they would...

Would the devs of BioWare then work for Microsoft, or would the staf be totally redone?

Originally posted by Katarn07

Would the devs of BioWare then work for Microsoft, or would the staf be totally redone?

Well, going by past events, what seems to happen is that a lot of existing staff usually remain, but you usually see a hard core or people leave and move onto pastures anew... Whether that's to do with disagreement with a merger, streamlining within the company or someone just wanting a change of scenery is never entirely clear...but it happens... :(

Well, I remember reading on LEC's website that there is still production of the PC version, so my guess is that it will happen, and then Bioware will become Microsoft property. but who knows besides the CEO's of each company.

GOD DAMN IT!

They already have Square Soft.... why bioware too.

I hope that Bioware nail him with a court injunction +5, follow up with a Flames of n00bs Past spell, and finish him off with a Linux Fair Competition postion.

Err... - basically - NNOOOOOOO!

UPDATE - apparently one of the BioWare peeps has made a post on the Neverwinter Forums that 'Microsoft is not buying Bioware'. You have to scroll down a ways to see it...but that sounds pretty conclusive. :D

It just goes to show, though, that Microsoft had been planning such a deal. You have to wonder who they're going after next.

Anyway...the threads still relevant, if you want to discuss large companies taking over small developers, and what that means for the games industry in general...

Originally posted by StormHammer

Anyway...the threads still relevant, if you want to discuss large companies taking over small developers, and what that means for the games industry in general...

Sounds like a cry for posts to me.... :)

Well - they would probably be done by the monopolies comission anyway if they had.

PCs, RPGS (online & off line) and now their rather good crack at consoles - they seem to want to dominate the interactive enetertainment market!

Knowing our luck, if the Terminator future ever comes true, it will be Microsoft playing the part of Cyberdyne!

Originally posted by jokemaster

I know this is probably gonna get me killed but:

Where is lexx anyway?

please forgive me, couldn't resist

In London, tending to her kids, I guess.

Oh, and she mods at several different forums, so I'm thinking she's got a lot to look after, if that wasn't enough.

lets hope it doesn't happen, otherwhise it will be bye bye KotOR for pc, hello Xbox exclusive

i dun tink that would happen. bioware won't allow it. neither would lucasarts. they'll be furious if that happens! watsmore, bioware had put in so much effort in kotor

• 4 months later...

Well... If a developer is struggling to stay alive, it's good that a bigger company buys it... But please not microsoft :( Fortunately this isn't the case :)

Microsoft has done things, like making Halo Xbox X-clusive (well at least for like 2 years :mad: ) and that's why I don't really trust them anymore...

GOD DAMN IT!

They already have Square Soft.... why bioware too.

WOAH, back this train up! When in the bloody hell did Micro$oft acquire Squaresoft? I thought they were still running under Sony? The last news I heard from Square was the Square-Enix merger and that they were opening up their games to Nintendo systems.

Archived