Home

JA Interview with Raven at GamesDomain

StormHammer

Yes, but consider that even with a weak attack with a lightsaber, if it hits your neck, you're gonna die. The effect of a lightsaber as often been equated to a warm knife through butter. Sure a more powerful strike is going to go further, but even a weak strike from a lightsaber is gonna be pretty lethal.

The best thing is (IMO) to make the difference in stances be based on offensive speed (the faster the swing the more likely it is to break defence) and defensive capabilities, just assume that if an attack gets past the defense the opponent is out of the fight (see Star Wars movies for examples). Even if you are only given a glancing blow with the saber (ie Obiwan in Ep2) you are still out of the fight, and in computer gaming terms you need to respawn to rejoin the fight.

Its not exactly accurate, but its fair.

Originally posted by Jeff 42

Cool interview and screenshots. However, I'm a bit leery of the fact that guns were not mentioned anywhere in the interview. I'm sure they'll still be in the game, but I hope they're not given short shrift by the developers.

it does say there will be more conventional weapons (http://www.jediknightii.net/jkiiirevealed.shtml)... i just hope they ditch the made up ones and bring in some real star wars one with real names (unlike "repeater" or "disruptor").

Guest Krayt Tion

With both the dual wield and the lightstaff moves plus new force powers to account for I do hope they do significantly more play testing this time around.

Not that it will happen, but Open Multiplayer Test, anyone?

Otherwise, my gut tells me to wait a month before I try multiplayer to avoid any patching frustrations.

If you want Star Wars guns...look no further than Vagabond's Feature on the subject. It's a good run-down of weapons, IMHO. They'd do no worse than look there for ideas...

Just a refresher...these seem to be confirmed...

1. blaster - I reckon this means hand-blaster, and it's unlikely to be the Bryar, because that's Katarn's trademark weapon.

2. blaster rifle - hmmm...I would doubt that would be the E-11, as that's mostly an Imperial weapon...and it's time for a change, anyway.

3. Wookiee bowcaster - yay...er...well, I like it in SP, anyway. ;)

4. Imperial repeater - *groan*

5. Destructive Electro-Magnetic Pulse gun - Er...is that the one from JO? :eyeraise:

I tend to agree with an OMT, Krayt. It's worked for other games...and this one could probably benefit from it...

heh, i was surprised to see most of the JK2 weapons accually in that link. i hope every thing is more lethal though this time around, well most things, like thermals for example, it would be cool if they behaved like in the movies.

Originally posted by ryudom

heh, i was surprised to see most of the JK2 weapons accually in that link. i hope every thing is more lethal though this time around, well most things, like thermals for example, it would be cool if they behaved like in the movies.

I'm inclined to agree with you. But the TD's didn't go off in the movies, so it's hard to judge exactly how powerful they were meant to be. By everyone's reaction, it seemed like it could impact a wide area...

Personally I'd prefer more blaster-type weapons, and less of the projectile weapons. But that's just me. :)

Anyway, in that interview they mentioned other enemies as large as the Rancor! Has anyone got any idea what on earth they could be? I wonder if there'll be a Krayt dragon...the one in SWG looked good...

Anyway, in that interview they mentioned other enemies as large as the Rancor! Has anyone got any idea what on earth they could be? I wonder if there'll be a Krayt dragon...the one in SWG looked good...
Two words.

Spice Spider.

Actually seven words: "Energy-Spider from Spice-Mines on Kessel". It's not as big as a Rancor apparently, but it's still a giant spider. I've always liked the sound of that critter. Here's a thingy on it:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/kessel/eu.html

Ohh, could be anything though. Wandrella, Vornskr, there's a bunch of creatures on Dagobah... List is endless.

(edit) Preducor sounds good. big Endor critter.(/edit)

I have a few concerns:

1) There is no mention of a co-op mode. This is truely disappointing considering that JK III could have a chance to offer more fun modes.

2) They mention that they have made modding (SP and multi) easier, the engine is practically the same with a few improvements, so would it be possible to port the mod's from JKII to this engine with little or no changes?

3) This seems to be competing with KOTOR, I wonder if it would make things easier (if not cheaper) to have this be an expansion instead of a totally new game....again, it's the same engine with a few modifications....

4)I like the idea of customizing the characters and their weapons, it would be cool if NPC would be more reactive (run, fight, or ally) if we are on the Dark, light, or neutral sides of the force.

Otherwise I think this game seems to be on a very good track

Originally posted by Spider AL

Two words.

Spice Spider.

Sounds nice...although giant spiders have featured in quite a few recent games.

A vornskr doesn't sound like it would be big enough, somehow. They might bring back a Kell dragon for a cameo appearance. :)

I vote for a Wampa, considering Hoth was mentioned somewhere...

I wouldn't want to have to go up against a giant Space Worm, though (as seen in ESB). :D

Originally posted by db6

I have a few concerns:

1) There is no mention of a co-op mode. This is truely disappointing considering that JK III could have a chance to offer more fun modes.

Sadly, I think co-op mode has become a dying feature in a lot of games, so I don't really expect JA to resurrect it. :(

2) They mention that they have made modding (SP and multi) easier, the engine is practically the same with a few improvements, so would it be possible to port the mod's from JKII to this engine with little or no changes?

Well, we know that there is an issue around some models, but they have that well in hand. As for the rest, I would assume it would be relatively easy to port existing mods, unless there are radical coding differences.

3) This seems to be competing with KOTOR, I wonder if it would make things easier (if not cheaper) to have this be an expansion instead of a totally new game....again, it's the same engine with a few modifications....

I disagree. I don't think JA is very similar to Knights at all. Just because there are some RPG elements, it doesn't make JA an RPG. Knights is a traditional-style RPG, like Neverwinter Nights, that is simply set in the Star Wars universe. The play styles and range of what you can do are completely different.

4)I like the idea of customizing the characters and their weapons, it would be cool if NPC would be more reactive (run, fight, or ally) if we are on the Dark, light, or neutral sides of the force.

I agree. NPCs should definitely react to your 'reputation' so to speak...and to my mind, perhaps there should be shady characters around to assist you if you're playing towards the Dark Side. Or maybe they'll just switch enemies/allies dependent on your choice of Force path. :)

Originally posted by StormHammer

Well, we know that there is an issue around some models, but they have that well in hand. As for the rest, I would assume it would be relatively easy to port existing mods, unless there are radical coding differences.

i'm almost positive that no coded mods from jo will function in ja, seeing as the code will be quite updated...

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by t3rr0r

i'm almost positive that no coded mods from jo will function in ja, seeing as the code will be quite updated...

You could very well be right. However, I would hope that the code is not so radically different that Mod makers cannot attempt to convert their work over to the new engine. It may take longer to get them to work, but must be within the bounds of possibility.

Archived