Home

JA Interview with Raven at GamesDomain

StormHammer

Great article! Thanks for posting it.

At also clears up some of the questions about saber stances:

GD: You added new saber stances too, as well as dual saber and saber staff stances.

JZ: Yeah we kept all the old stances and added special moves for the new ones.

Good news!

Originally posted by Squater

:eek: Wow, those screens looks great, is that a Rodian? it IS a Rodian! I'm definanately gonna be one. Is that a proper kick?? It IS a proper kick! wow, this is getting better and better. Thanks for sharing. :)

Yep, that's a Rodian.

Did anybody else catch hints that more actors from the movies would be back to give voices?

That's a disgrace. No Kyle Katarn. Maybe if they hadn't screwed him up in JKII, they wouldn't needed to have dropped him! And that's a Twil'lek female, if I'm not mistaken. (looks like dancer from Jabba's palace.)

Originally posted by Rat Boy

Did anybody else catch hints that more actors from the movies would be back to give voices?

Yep, sure did. Personally, I'd like to see Wedge Antilles (played by Denis Lawson) make an appearance. We've had Luke, Lando and Mon Mothma...so I'd love to see some of the other main cast members make an appearance. Wedge is one of the few pilots who made it through all 3 classic movies, so he gets my vote.

It also sounds like either Kyle or Luke could accompany you on certain missions...considering they are going for the Padawan style. I would imagine Kyle or Luke will make an appearance at least during the first few missions...until you're ready to go it alone. :) But that's just a theory...

Originally posted by Hèkx Nòxú

Kick only available with dualstaff? :disaprove

Well, what they actually said was that you can kick in any direction with the dualstaff. It doesn't say you can't still use the standard kick with others.

I guess that's one of the questions we'll have to ask some time down the line...hopefully if the Powers That Be can convince Raven to hold another chat, like they did with JK2. :)

Cool interview and screenshots. However, I'm a bit leery of the fact that guns were not mentioned anywhere in the interview. I'm sure they'll still be in the game, but I hope they're not given short shrift by the developers.

Originally posted by C'jais

I'm a bit disappointed that they decided to keep the red stance - hopefully they've tweaked the hell out of it for this game so it's actually balanced.

Apart from that little gripe, it looks grrreat!

Why? What's wrong with it? Sure it's much stronger than blue and yellow but I dont think its "all powerfull", I use all stances, yellow mostly. I dont find it impossible to beat.

I'm worried about how they are adding even more special moves... Sword-Fighting isn't Pro-Wrestling, there is no reason why jumping upside down should cause unblockable fatal damage when a slash to the neck merely knocks off a few health points.

The stances in JK2 were a good idea, but they didn't make sense. Since the weapon is a lightsaber, the damage should be identical no matter how fast the saber is moving, the differences should be attack speed and defensive abilities. Blue should be fast and weak defence, Red should be slow and strong defence, Yellow should be in the middle. Currently a super-slow attack is a one-hit kill when a series of super-fast attacks does little to no damage.

If they want to keep the stance and special move system, they should address these issues.

uh the stances could have made sense kinda. i think that damage should be put up for all stances though, at least 2x. light stance is supposed to be glancing blows, so maybe too hits for that, unless you get a head shot *mmm locational damage...* anyawy the stances could work but the major variations in them should be defense breaking, speed, and reach.

also... i really want locational damage heh

the only way i could see a slower attack making more damage is if theres longer contact with the target... but yeah. i was thinking that they should study the fights in the movies alot to get the right feel... if you watch anakin fight dooku, they are actually quite alot slower than the exchanges in JK2. the attacks/counter-attacks give some time to respond, and look very cool in the process. also, another nice touch would be a change in overall style depending on how many points are allocated to various saber skills. ani has very aggressive speedy style, with basic defence, whereas windu has a lazy, defensive style (according to the choreographer on the DVD). the closest to the speed of blue stance (IMO) is yoda, which would look ridiculous on any other character, besides the fact that all that spinning would make a person puke... so... in conclusion: slow down the counters/parries and add more style variation depending on what skill set you choose.

Originally posted by happydan

the closest to the speed of blue stance (IMO) is yoda, which would look ridiculous on any other character, besides the fact that all that spinning would make a person puke... so... in conclusion: slow down the counters/parries and add more style variation depending on what skill set you choose.

Heh...wouldn't it be cool if they included Yoda's race as pickable in SP/MP...at the right size and that kind of crazy, spinning, puke-inducing combat style? :D

I'd laugh my backend off...

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

I'm worried about how they are adding even more special moves... Sword-Fighting isn't Pro-Wrestling, there is no reason why jumping upside down should cause unblockable fatal damage when a slash to the neck merely knocks off a few health points.

The stances in JK2 were a good idea, but they didn't make sense. Since the weapon is a lightsaber, the damage should be identical no matter how fast the saber is moving, the differences should be attack speed and defensive abilities. Blue should be fast and weak defence, Red should be slow and strong defence, Yellow should be in the middle. Currently a super-slow attack is a one-hit kill when a series of super-fast attacks does little to no damage.

If they want to keep the stance and special move system, they should address these issues.

1. Special moves aren't a problem unless they do a lot of damage and are cheap, and it doesn't sound like they are.

2. They have probably fixed most of the stance problems in JO, but if not, the advent of the two new sabers will overshadow the not-so-goodness of the red stance. You said yourself it was fine in MP, and since they are striving to make MP saber combat more like SP, I don't think there will be problems.

3. Velocity and speed of the lightsaber definatly should affect damage. Even if it is a searing blade of energy, if it's moving slow it isn't going to cut into someone's flesh very far unless they stand there and let it happen. If speed didn't matter for lightsabers, Vader would have been cut in half when fighting Luke, and they would be trying to prick each other with the sabers instead of swinging as fast as they can.

Archived