Home

Too much publicity?

wassup

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030410/tv_nm/leisure_lynch_dc_3

I just got this from Yahoo. IMO, I think NBC is going a little overboard here. I mean, I know she is a hero among the American people, but is this kind of too much? What will the other soldiers think? Will they become jealous? I mean, I must admit I have this feeling that NBC is just trying to make a profit out of all of this. What do you all think?

Rediculous. I can see how stupid that movie would be now... However, I'd probably watch it just to see how much they dramatize it. All the crap they're saying on the news about the little guy who was spying on the hospital for days before they went in for the rescue will be blown up so much by this movie. Dumb.

I wasn't joking about that it would be some kind of US tele-movie. That they'd have her trying to blast her way down as they tried to take her....

I don't know how US TV stations actually believe the hype they have in themselves... Everything is worthy of a telemovie, when most times it is in better taste to leave it alone....

I think it is stupid.

NBC is just doing this movie to get into the cash. The American audience want war and they have war 24/7 on the news channel.

And now they have a face to give to a story.

And what other than the classical story of a girl who is captured by "the sum of all evil" and then to be rescued.

I know its a sad story and i gried for the dead. But this is just wrong. NOT NOW.

Many movies have been made about wars and people who suffered in wars. HOWEVER, name me one that has been in planification BEFORE THE WAY WAS OVER!

Its a stupid attempt to cash into the coporate and governmental product that is fear.

Originally posted by wassup

I mean, I must admit I have this feeling that NBC is just trying to make a profit out of all of this.

Duh. Of course they're trying to make a profit. They are a business first and foremost. When do the media ever stop trying to make money? :rolleyes::)

1. Sexism, which is bad. The only reason why she got so much publicity is that she's a woman, for my god's sake, not because she's "just a cook, not a soldier". Whoever doesn't realize doesn't get something. Stupid, stupid sexist belief that women are worth more than men.

2. Commercialization of serious events. In 60 years, people are going to make movies out of 9/11 too, but I guess you'll enjoy those too, Pedantic? Go "wow" at the CGI effects of the plane hitting the tower, of the fight aboard F93, of the people jumping out of the windows to their deaths.

3. Total disrespect towards the POW and her family.

4. Total lack of a feel of reality.

5. Do you have any idea of how this is going to reflect on the USA? Some examples:

• "Geez, these people just don't know what war is like"
  • "They aren't going to commercialize the Oklahoma bombing too while they're at it"
  • "No wonder why they love the war so much when the media's not even trying to be objective" <--Most nations' media at least try to show both sides. US media don't, not when reporting on Iraq, at least.
  • And simply: "(Deregatory term)-ic/-ish Americans".

6. How would you feel if, say, the Russians commercialized the Moscow theater crisis while the hostages were in there? Or if the Japanese released a movie on Pearl Harbour while launching their planes and attacking? "3000 people died at Pearl Harbour; Japanese swarm to see movie".

7. It's not that damn hard to make up a fictional character.

8. Action movie (noun):

1. Movie portraying action.

2. US English for "documentary". Often far from reality, though.

9. Did you like it when Al-Jazeera dramatized and glorified 9/11? No? Then you're a hypocrite.

This stinks.

Duh. Of course they're trying to make a profit. They are a business first and foremost. When do the media ever stop trying to make money?

It wouldn't surprise me if they leave the word "ethics" out of the next edition of the Webster's US English dictionary:mad:. Of course, if it was your mom it'd be okay to you, obviously, but hey, some people aren't like that.

When do the [American] media stop trying to make money? Uh.. I don't think they'll ever open their eyes enough to do that. And you wonder why the US media's rights keep being taken away :rolleyes:

That's all from me.

Originally posted by ZBomber

Might belong in Serious Disscusion....

Yeh, I agree. Shes not the only one to ever be captured hostage. I think we shouldn't think about those who have escaped, but for those who haven't...

No, but she is the first American POW, that has ever been successfully rescued. Though newsworthy, I think they are premature in wanting to make a movie this soon.

A movie on the entire war would be better, if it has a good budget, but um..... the war is not over yet.:(

Archived