Home

It's made of...porcelain

NHJ BV

Bill Tiller told us you were responsible for the whole "porcelain joke", a gag that has plagued the Monkey Island community since 1997 - can you tell us why Guybrush is afraid of porcelain?

Really? I always thought it had something to do with the time in Monkey 1 where Fester Shinetop hit Guybrush on the head with a vase.

See, that was what I meant earlier (I just didn't know how to spell his name.):p

Yeah but he wasn't quite himself in MI2 was he? I mean let's face it, not only did he try to grow a beard and have dreams about dancing skeletons, but he went so crazy he thought he was a kid in a a theme park. I think we can safely say he could not be held responsible for his actions in that game....

ESPECIALLY trying to grow a beard

What was he THINKING????

• 2 months later...

In MI2, in Elaine's bedroom, there is a porcelain chest, and Guybrush doesn't shudder at the site of it.

I thought it was an amusing runnign joke. Not hilarious or anything, but funny. Why he's afraid of it? I have no clue.

Maybe some deep childhood trauma that caused him to have an immense fear of porcelain was buried deep inside him, and his whole quest to become a real pirate was his mind's desparate attempt to save itself from the terror of the porcelain, but when he was trapped in LeChuck's carnival as a child, those fears were reawakened, causing his old phobia to otrement him further.

Or maybe not.

:D

Originally posted by Yufster

ESPECIALLY trying to grow a beard

What was he THINKING????

While the beard was certainly a VERY different look for him, I kind of liked it. It was new and different, I guess. Made a nice change, since otherwise the graphics style didn't change too much.

It also makes me laugh hysterically, because in MI2, with the beard and ponytail and all, Guybrush looks EXACTLY like my best friend's husband. I'm not kidding, he honestly does. She laughed out loud when I showed her a picture. Her husband told me that the first time he played the game, he felt like he was playing as himself. ;)

As for the porcelain, it's meant to be random and nonsensical - that's why it's funny. It's such a bizarre thing to be afraid of.

Of course, that's not going to stop people (possibly even me) trying to come up with a plausible explanation and writing a fanfic about it...hmmm.... *devious look*

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by TyraaRane

Now there's a thought. The question arises, though, as to why he'd be afraid of her in the first place.

Wow, this is all so Freudian. ;)

Why he'd be afraid of her? I can give you quite some reasons...although Elaine punching Guybrush right after she was just turned from gold to human again is probably the best :D

Archived