Home

Max Payne 2 gets a name

Bob Gnarly

Rockstar Games, the publishing division of Take-Two Interactive announced Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne, the next installment in the blockbuster Max Payne franchise. Developed by Remedy Entertainment, Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne for the PC is expected to hit retail shelves Fall 2003.

When Max Payne debuted in July 2001 as an award-winning, best-selling PC game, it revolutionized the action genre with its cinematic combat sequences fueled by the groundbreaking use of slow motion and compulsive narrative-driven gameplay. Later that year, console audiences were equally impressed by the stylish, urban, revenge-driven story of a fugitive cop with nothing to lose and Max Payne went on to achieve Greatest Hits status on PlayStation 2 and Platinum Hits recognition on Xbox. Now, the highly anticipated Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne for the PC was unveiled to an extremely select audience by invitation only at this year’s E3.

Details regarding the release of the console versions of Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne will be made available at a later date.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by TheCheat

is it possible that this one would take place before the first one?

It could be, but I don't think so. You see, Max Payne's wife wasn't some chick with a gun, seeing that she was crying like hell when they shot her baby and tried to kill her - a badass chick would've killed those junks instead :)

So I think it's after the first game, but who knows!!

There's a preview of Max Payne 2 in PC Zone (UK) magazine, with quite a number of nice-looking screenshots. Max is definitely remodelled, and looks much less like a constipated Bruce Willis this time around. His features actually remind me of another American actor, but I'm useless at names...

Anyway, here are some key points from the article...

- The engine has been completely overhauled.

- Max now has facial animation, from blinking to lip-synching, and has different expressions.

- Other characters look more realistic, and the AI has been reworked.

- Bullet time has been improved, with better effects.

- There is still no unarmed combat, but Max can now use weapons to whack people around up close.

- Havok 2 has been implemented in the engine, and there will be ragdoll effects.

- Clipping problems that dogged the original game (such as in bullet-time where you ended up with your head inside a wall), seem to have been resolved.

- This time around, the story is being incorporated more into the game, rather than simply being told in the graphic-novel-style cut scenes.

- The script is 3 times bigger than Max Payne.

- The game takes place a year after the end of the original Max Payne.

- In spite of the depth of the script, don't expect the game to be any longer than the original. They're aiming for a 'compact' game experience, and they want people to complete it... :rolleyes:

- There is NO multiplayer planned at all.

- It will be rated 18.

That's about all the juice I can squeeze out of that article (in my own words). :)

Archived