Home

Vehicles?

Tomppa1988

Precisely, ToppDog! Viva la Complete Gaming Experienca! Viva!

Speeder would be perfect for JA. They wouldn't require any earth-shaking innovation like the great and mighty CGE, and would be great for that level where you fight Tuskan Raiders. I would also very much like to see some ship-flying mini-levels, like in Shadows of the Empire. Both of these things could be done with the current engine.

:vsd:

Yahoo!!! Yeah, it's coming. The lines are already beginning to blur. If anyone played X-Wing Alliance, you noticed they had flying stormies & droids in many of the missions; & in JKII they already had some playable vehicles/objects like droids, gun turrets, ATST's (spelling?), etc. I never got the x-wing to work, but others have been able to.

Here's my theory on how this should work: No matter what kind of game, or individual mission in the game it is, you ALWAYS start it in 1st/3rd person perspective. If it's a flight mission, you walk/run to the briefing room & sit your butt in a chair next to your buds for the briefing. Then you actually walk/run to the hanger to climb into your ship.

Your view would not change to that of the cockpit view until you were seated. If it's a ship like the falcon, a shuttle, etc. you would have to walk through the ship until you sit in the pilot's seat before switching to cockpit mode.

And in large ships like this you could have other people riding along in the ship with you. They would still be able to see you sitting in the pilot's seat while they walk around in 1st/3rd person, & you should be able to look over your shoulder & see them too while in cockpit mode.

With this you could sneak onboard an enemy ship, kill the pilot midflight, & jump in the pilot seat & fly it. And if you were the pilot, you could possibly hear him coming, switch to autopilot which puts you back in 1st/3rd person, slice up the stowaway with your saber, & get back to flying your ship.

This could even be done on a grand scale such as taking over a capitol ship. What if instead of disabling the shields of the Star Destroyer, you wiped out everyone on the bridge & took over the controls to attack other nearby Star Destroyers/enemy fighters, etc.

The same could work in reverse. You could be in the briefing room or the hanger about to get in your fighter when you are attacked & stormies are boarding your ship. You could choose to slice em up with your saber, jump in your fighter & hover there while you mow em down with your cannons (like Anikin in EP1), fly out & attack the other incoming enemy ships, or any combination of the three.

And the missions would not automatically end when the mission objectives are completed. For those that like, they would be able to actually land their ships in hanger bays etc. & then walk/run/explore anywhere they want on that map. You could goto your quarters & check your messages, the messhall for some chow, the officers lounge for a drink & some girlies. The possibilities are endless.

The same would apply to 1st/3rd missions on the ground.

Ah well, I hope to see something like this before I die, LOL.

Originally posted by ToppDog

Yahoo!!! Yeah, it's coming. The lines are already beginning to blur. If anyone played X-Wing Alliance, you noticed they had flying stormies & droids in many of the missions; & in JKII they already had some playable vehicles/objects like droids, gun turrets, ATST's (spelling?), etc. I never got the x-wing to work, but others have been able to.

Here's my theory on how this should work: No matter what kind of game, or individual mission in the game it is, you ALWAYS start it in 1st/3rd person perspective. If it's a flight mission, you walk/run to the briefing room & sit your butt in a chair next to your buds for the briefing. Then you actually walk/run to the hanger to climb into your ship.

Your view would not change to that of the cockpit view until you were seated. If it's a ship like the falcon, a shuttle, etc. you would have to walk through the ship until you sit in the pilot's seat before switching to cockpit mode.

And in large ships like this you could have other people riding along in the ship with you. They would still be able to see you sitting in the pilot's seat while they walk around in 1st/3rd person, & you should be able to look over your shoulder & see them too while in cockpit mode.

With this you could sneak onboard an enemy ship, kill the pilot midflight, & jump in the pilot seat & fly it. And if you were the pilot, you could possibly hear him coming, switch to autopilot which puts you back in 1st/3rd person, slice up the stowaway with your saber, & get back to flying your ship.

This could even be done on a grand scale such as taking over a capitol ship. What if instead of disabling the shields of the Star Destroyer, you wiped out everyone on the bridge & took over the controls to attack other nearby Star Destroyers/enemy fighters, etc.

The same could work in reverse. You could be in the briefing room or the hanger about to get in your fighter when you are attacked & stormies are boarding your ship. You could choose to slice em up with your saber, jump in your fighter & hover there while you mow em down with your cannons (like Anikin in EP1), fly out & attack the other incoming enemy ships, or any combination of the three.

And the missions would not automatically end when the mission objectives are completed. For those that like, they would be able to actually land their ships in hanger bays etc. & then walk/run/explore anywhere they want on that map. You could goto your quarters & check your messages, the messhall for some chow, the officers lounge for a drink & some girlies. The possibilities are endless.

The same would apply to 1st/3rd missions on the ground.

Ah well, I hope to see something like this before I die, LOL.

Some of the things you want will be available in Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter, which will allow you to run around shooting things in FPS mode, then get into a ship, walk through it to the controls, take off, fly around and shoot other ships, land on a much bigger ship, get out and start running and gunning again. The developers had to build the engine from the ground up to be able to do that, though...

I don't think our chances are very good at the moment for seeing this kind of thing in a Star Wars game, unless they really work on building an engine to do it... Of course, IMHO, that's exactly what they should be looking at doing...

Well, that's a thread on its own, I think.

For JA, I would very much like to have the vehicles make sense and be relevent to the situation. In JO, some of the AT-STs were oddly placed, for example in the hanger of the Doomgiver. Also, I would like to see more accurate saber damage on special enemies. I found that stormtrooper went down with one hit, but the bipedal droids took many.

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

For JA, I would very much like to have the vehicles make sense and be relevent to the situation.

I agree...to an extent. Although to be fair it's possible for any vehicle to be anywhere...if someone stole it, or has been using it for purposes other than those originally intended.

Anyway...AT-ST's aren't out of place aboard a Star Destroyer...it's part of the ship's job to carry around troops, equipment and vehicles. :confused:

Originally posted by StormHammer

It says including, not limited to. Another article mentioned speeder bikes. We won't know the exact line-up until we get to play the game.

Exactly. Right now is a fun time of aggregating tid-bits of information to try to make a fuller picture of what the whole will look like when done.

I also hope that vehicles, when available, are optional - like the AT-ST in Yavin Canyon ... and UNLIKE the King Tiger in MoHAA. I liked using the AT-ST much more when I realized that if I was getting toadted I could always jump out and slug it out on the ground.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

I liked using the AT-ST much more when I realized that if I was getting toadted I could always jump out and slug it out on the ground.

Mike

I enjoyed the AT-ST much more...when I realised I could hop out of the damaged one, and get into the second one halway up the canyon. :D

Anyway, I agree with what you said about choice. Although I want to be able to ride vehicles...it would be great to be able to get in and out of them at will. NOLF/NOLF2 allowed you to do that, as did Red Faction...and JO. I hope the trend continues.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I enjoyed the AT-ST much more...when I realised I could hop out of the damaged one, and get into the second one halway up the canyon. :D

Anyway, I agree with what you said about choice. Although I want to be able to ride vehicles...it would be great to be able to get in and out of them at will. NOLF/NOLF2 allowed you to do that, as did Red Faction...and JO. I hope the trend continues.

why wouldn't it? ;) there's no point in vehicles you can't get out of, is there? :/or even if you can when you finish the mission or so.. but if you're in mp with vehicles, and you can't get out of them when you want to, then... euhm.. when are you going to get out? lol

Wow. That is all I can say. I didn't know that the possibility of vehicles in MP would have so much potential for the MOST AWESOME gaming experience!

All of these ideas sound great but remember . . .

1. The Quake III engine has to be heavily modified to do all this stuff. The amount of work that Raven has done will ultimately determine how much of this vehicle stuff will be available.

2. Lag will kill us all if the speed of such vehicles are too high.

3. Most of these great ideas will probably be developed through modding from community individuals.

. . . but I am still hoping for . . .

1) Speeder bikes and swoops with mounted weapons.

2) Troop carriers with support for passengers and driver

3) Taunting jousting!

4) Races!

5) Maps big enough for the vehicles to be useful.

5) Complete control of these vehicles!

Oh this is just freakin' awesome. Yup, definitely.

Archived