Home

Chinese names

Mort-Hog

I realise this is totally off-topic, even for an off-topic forum, but I figured you anime fans might know a little about our eastern cousins and their customs. So I've been watching a lot of old subbed Kung Fu films lately, and I've come to be confused by the names. Take, for instance, the name 'Wong Fei-Hung'. What part of that is the surname? He was called 'Master Wong' so I can only assume that in Chinese the surname comes first, which makes sense I guess. But if I was to call him by his first name, would I call him 'Fei-Hung' or just 'Hung'? Is 'Fei' like a middle name?

Also, I've seen someplace that some chinese actors have both 'chinese' and 'english' names? Is this just them trying to be more western and changing their names, like Jackie Chan, or do the names directly translate?

Anyone that knows anything please enlighten me. :-)

Wong Fei-Hung is actually a very famous character who lived during the 1900s or thereabouts, and is the main character in many many kung fu films. There was a long series of films about him during the 1940s, and more recently 'Once Upon a Time in China', starring Jet Li (which is what I saw last night) Good film.

It's not unlikely that Wong Fei-Hung would feature in lots of other films too. :-)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a wonderful film, but you have to be open-minded when watching it. It's very beautifully made and the flying is just art. Many of my friends dismiss it because of the flying, but I just love it. A very aesthetic movie. Watch it again!

I thought the flying scenes were fantastic, but it had me confused because the rest of the storyline didn't seem that 'fantasy'. But the fight scene at the top of the treetops was wonderful, and the flying made everything much smoother and more fluent.

I'm 16. Old enough to smoke, buy lottery tickets, have sex, get married (either with parents' permission or in Gretner Green), ride a moped and have a pint of beer with a main meal whilst accompanied by a responsible adult.

So far, I haven't done any of those things.

I've wasted my life

I know, I know. I'm planning to just go for the stylish, streamlined "BooJaka" without the number but the only way I know how to do that is either create a new account (which I'm not gonna do) or buy one from the Store.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

the 'flying' is called (if i remember correctly) the Lion's Dance. It's used realistically in a lot of old chinese kung fu movies where the characters do large leaps while fighting. In Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon they've just exaggerated the phenomenon

Archived